Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home brew Hackathorn Sights?

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Brownells is now showing in stock for the G19 variant of the Hackathorns

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    What do you like better about the HDs?
    I observed pretty much the same thing Todd observed in trying out sights with his endurance G17. I had the Hack front first. I thought it was the greatest. I did observe that in bright light the orange which extended so high on the front post that it flared out the crisp square lines of the top of the post which was a factor in using the square post for tight shots. The HDs leave a little more metal above the top of the orange and in the brightest light it is still easy to use the square post top when I want too; which is a lot of the time.

That's mostly it. Secondary is that I like the somewhat tighter rear U notch vis a vis the pretty fat HD front. The bright front gives me all the fast acquisition of my old XS Big Dots so I don't find it helpful to go with .150 or wider rear notches for speed. Off the top of my head I'm guessing the HDs rear is about .140.

Thirdly I really like the 3 tritium dot performance of the HDs.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I observed pretty much the same thing Todd observed in trying out sights with his endurance G17. I had the Hack front first. I thought it was the greatest. I did observe that in bright light the orange which extended so high on the front post that it flared out the crisp square lines of the top of the post which was a factor in using the square post for tight shots. The HDs leave a little more metal above the top of the orange and in the brightest light it is still easy to use the square post top when I want too; which is a lot of the time.

That's mostly it. Secondary is that I like the somewhat tighter rear U notch vis a vis the pretty fat HD front. The bright front gives me all the fast acquisition of my old XS Big Dots so I don't find it helpful to go with .150 or wider rear notches for speed. Off the top of my head I'm guessing the HDs rear is about .140.

Thirdly I really like the 3 tritium dot performance of the HDs.
    Thank you!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Thanks for all the replies.

JHC, I thought about trying the HD's, I currently have my standard Glock NS front ring filled in orange, and the rear rings blacked out, an attempt at getting that eye catching front sight. It works decently well, but I have a hell of a time keeping my eyes on the front as well compared to a plain back sight. I've been meaning to swing by up there next time I go to the lake, but the schedule just hasnt lined up lately.

Ga Shooter, if you end up having a set you'd off load I'd be happy to send a check/ paypal.

Thanks Again

-Greg

I have three sets. Pms sent.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post

I have a Warren front sight that I have painted orange. Despite trying numerous shades and clear coats from the craft store I can't get it to "pop" like the Ameriglo sight does. The orange paint they use has a certain retina burning look right the f*** here quality that I can't replicate.
    Did you use a white base coat before applying the orange? This has worked for me when I've painted front sight posts. It produces that "pop" you described

Typos brought to you by my DROID... and my apathy.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    I have three sets. Pms sent.
    Replied to

-Greg

I've got my sights on now, thank to Ga Shooter, and feel as confident with the sight picture as I remember. The one issue I'm having tho is that the sharp edges on the rear sight are tearing my concealment pudge to hell. I've read about people filing the edges, which is a process I've got no issue with, however I'm , wondering how people deal with the bare metal being exposed. I've thought of a few things, but expect keeping it on there might be a hard process.

Again, I appreciate all the help.

-Greg

User Tag List