Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stance - Isosceles, Weaver, and Other

Take ECQC with SouthNarc and you'll learn some eye-opening information regarding stance... in addition to all of the other information.

I honestly thought that the experience of Jay on Top Shot (I assume some others watched it?) showed just how much more important sight alignment and trigger control are than proper stance or grip to making single accurate shots. If you're just learning and plinking on the range (especially if your range has rapid fire limitations) you may not actually be trying to go fast enough that the correct stance will give you any advantage. Most if not all of the advantage of ISO doesn't come into play until you are firing strings of shots both quickly and accurately.

I believe in finding what works for each shooter.

That being said does anyone know why the Weaver was popular (and remains popular with older guys)?

It's very good for people that are blind as bats.

Quote Originally Posted by NGCSUGrad09 View Post
    I believe in finding what works for each shooter.

That being said does anyone know why the Weaver was popular (and remains popular with older guys)?

It's very good for people that are blind as bats.
    Amusingly, Weaver became popular because it was better than the single handed, from the hip point-shooting that ruled competition when it came about.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    I had not heard this. What handicap did he suffer from?
    To the best of my recollection, he had some sort of shoulder injury that caused him to adopt that stance as a way of working around it.

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    Amusingly, Weaver became popular because it was better than the single handed, from the hip point-shooting that ruled competition when it came about.
    This is also a rather important factor. At the time the "modern pistol technique" way of thinking was a revolutionary approach that was vastly superior to any other approach. A great deal has been learned since the days when Jeff Cooper was trying to convince people that using two hands on a handgun really was the bee's knees.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    To the best of my recollection, he had some sort of shoulder injury that caused him to adopt that stance as a way of working around it.
    I believe it was a farming accident. I read this thread earlier today and I have been rummaging through my Pubs to verify it before posting, but I just can't find it. I thought it was a farming accident when he was a kid, but I can't find the proof. If I can find it I will post the source.

Site Supporter
    This is an interesting read about Jack Weaver and the Weaver stance history:
    (I didn't see any mention of an injury - but it was still a good read)
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n24941612/

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    This is an interesting read about Jack Weaver and the Weaver stance history:
    (I didn't see any mention of an injury - but it was still a good read)
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n24941612/
    Very good read, thanks for sharing.
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

A few people wrote that iso is superior for shooting on the move.

I've found the opposite; I shoot iso when standing still or moving straight forward or back, but when moving laterally or diagonally I found it more comfortable to do something Weaverish. When I'm moving to my right, I turn my feet to the right and walk to the right while shooting downrange with my upper body twisted to the left. When I'm moving to my left, I turn my feet to the left and shoot right handed only with my upper body twisted to the right.

I don't see how one can shoot iso while moving laterally unless you are sidestepping which feels very awkward and slow to me.

For those who advocate iso for moving laterally, are you pointing your feet in the direction you're going, or are you side stepping?

Site Supporter
    When moving laterally you can still shoot iso by pointing your feet in the direction of travel and twisting your upper body like a tank turret. Once you get to the point where you are overexerting yourself with the twist, switch the direction of your feet so you are backing up, but still moving in the same direction. Having a lot of bend in your knees makes it easier to twist further if you are having problems with flexibility.

User Tag List