Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obama Releases 'Top Five' Detainees from Gitmo....

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'd just have to move a trailer onto my place in Texas and set up residence.
    I want to be on the winning side.
    Hehe. The saddest part of such a war would be the siege of Austin. But I'd pay to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    We are aiding Iranian backed Shiites to bomb religious fanatic Sunnis in Iraq. We are giving logistic support to religious fanatic Saudis to bomb Iranian backed Shiites in Iran.

Why don't we just bomb ourselves and get it over with? But we will be ok with a 2nd Holocaust over Israel in a few years.
    I have a lot to learn about the historic tensions in the region. But unyielding religious fanaticism seems to be the universal mechanism of unrest. As for the reasons, take your pick. I couldn't care less about Israel - at least, not any less than I cared about all the other existential genocides we've watched from a distance. If Dune was a parable for the middle East, we await only the rise of Muad Dib to create a "united Arakis" (pan-Arab state,) take control of the "spice" (oil) that makes "space travel" (modern industry) possible, and conquer much of the "stars" (who knows, but nuclear war would be involved.)

If you think a nuclear Arabia would be satisfied with holocausting just Israel, I'd love to buy you a beer and hear your story! For myself, in my ignorance, I'm kind of OK with disunity in the region.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    I think it would only be a matter of time before a nuclear bomb from that region takes a plane, ship or border crossing jaunt into the USA.

While the destruction of Israel may or may not be important to you, the development of a bomb that could be used on them is the canary in coal mine for use on us.

Bin Ladden wasn't driven by Israel, it was our presence in the sacred areas of Saudi Arabia. That paradigm still drives folks in the Middle East.

PS - I like Austin as a city if you don't get hung up on the politics. Great book and food stores, neat restaurants, some fun gun shopping. Lots of gun folks there also.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    I couldn't care less about Israel - at least, not any less than I cared about all the other existential genocides we've watched from a distance.
    Did you really mean this, this way?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    While the destruction of Israel may or may not be important to you, the development of a bomb that could be used on them is the canary in coal mine for use on us.
    This is exactly what I was trying to say, only much more clearly expressed.

PS - I like Austin as a city if you don't get hung up on the politics. Great book and food stores, neat restaurants, some fun gun shopping. Lots of gun folks there also.
    I like Austin, too. Enjoyed myself there and the surrounding areas many times. Fun to imagine a fleet of F150's do land battle with the Hybrid AllStars on their home turf. But wouldn't want to see the reality of it happen.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Oh, please, please, please have him request an NCO on the panel!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Oh, please, please, please have him request an NCO on the panel!
    Bingo. But his lawyer isn't going to be that stupid. In which case let us hope that that the panel is made up of combat arms officers, with none of them desperate to please the White House.

Site Supporter
    Let's release two high-ranking bomb makers... what could possibly go wrong?

http://www.defense.gov/News/News-Rel...fers-announced

Al Qaeda explosives experts transferred from Guantanamo Bay
    Salem Abdu Salam Ghereby is believed to have fought coalition forces at Usama bin Laden’s Tora Bora complex in Afghanistan “and was associated with senior members of Al Qaeda.” Omar Khalif Mohammed Abu Baker Mahjour Umar was assessed to be likely to “immediately seek out prior associates and reengage in hostilities and extremist support activities” upon his release, according to a 2008 government document.

How is this not treason?
    Section 3.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

User Tag List