Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Model 19-3 for IDPA/General marksmanship

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Model 19-3 for IDPA/General marksmanship

Hi all,

So I am picking up a Model 19-3 on Saturday and am looking forward to finally moving into revolvers in a real way. For the past 3-4 years or so I have almost exclusively shot and carried 9mm glocks and run a G17 as my IDPA gun.

However, I started to realize that the gun I carry most often these days (especially in the hotter months) is a S&W 442, and it just didn't make any sense for me to be doing most of my shooting with 9mm glocks when the 442 is what gets carried more often than not. So I'd been looking for a bigger S&W to serve as an educational tool, as it were, and finally pulled the trigger on this model 19. Obviously I will continue to shoot the 442 but I wanted to have a gun that would allow me to be at least vaguely competitive in IDPA (don't really care how well I place as long as I don't feel handicapped by my gun) and that will allow me to shoot more through a wheelgun in one range trip than my 442 currently allows. I like the 442 and all, but I am am a bit worried that the bruises might become permanent at this rate... I also figured I owed it to myself to pick up a classic K frame like this. I have it in my head that learning the DA trigger will help me develop proficiency with pistols across the board (or so I said to myself as I clicked "buy...")

Besides a Dillon 550, what do y'all recommend I pick up to go with the 19? It's coming with the football-relief target stocks that I assume came standard with the gun. Will these allow the use of speedloaders? Any better grips I should be looking into? I'd like to stick to checkered wood without finger grooves, if possible. On that note, the gun is coming with 2 safariland Comp-2s and an HKs that should work with the gun. Are these reasonable for competitive use? Do I really need those giant Comp-3s to shoot IDPA? As you can tell I am not super worried about coming in 1st as long as I can still run the thing with a reasonable amount of proficiency.

I already have some ideas for leather holsters thanks to Tam but any other suggestions are always welcome. If there's anything else you think I should know about this gun, or if you can think of creative ways to punish my bank account, by all means leave them here.

The "football" cut out doesn't work well with speedloaders. At least that's been my experience. There are S&W stock versions on such places as Gunbroker for K frames with much more relief cut out. I have no experience with them but they look to me like they're speedloader compatible. I don't what is legal in IDPA as far as speedloaders. I just know I like the Safarilands more than the HKS versions.

Ahrends stocks appear to be held in high regard by many. I don't have any for my K guns as I'm still debating what kind of wood I want. I have some Coco's on my 29-2 and I like them. Naturally there are other 3rd party makers out there, but other than Herrett and Hogue, their names escape me presently. (Middle age fog.)

You're going to like shooting the 19. Mine led to a 66-1. Really, really fun to run 'em on plates.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

First thing I would do is get rid of the factory grips. While in most cases the factory grips will accommodate speedloaders, unless they are the S&W Galco Alves combat grips the factory target grips IMHO are like taking a wedge gripping it upside down and pounding on the top of the wedge with a hammer and expecting you to not have the wedge move in your hand. Grips are a personal choice but I've always been partial to Houge monogrips myself. Unfortunately since wheelguns aren't as mainstream anymore the grip/stock offerings aren't as plentiful as they once were.

CompIIs are perfectly satisfactory for IDPA, I've won one state championship with them and they are my EDC loaders. Although truth be known I roll will CompIIIs in competition nowadays.

Once you get proficient with the gun you'll be surprised at the number of people that will come up to you asking how you run the gun so fast. Half my time this weekend at the big local IDPA club match was spent talking to people about how to run a revolver in IDPA.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

My preferred stock for most S&Ws is the Hogue. Cheap and (IMHO) effective.

Good method for reloads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA

Late last year I developed poor trigger management and decided to shoot a J-frame exclusively for two months. After extensive dry fire and range use withe a J-frame, I am now shooting my P30 better than I ever have. There's something to be said about shooting a revolver. It cured what problem(s) I developed.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    First thing I would do is get rid of the factory grips. While in most cases the factory grips will accommodate speedloaders, unless they are the S&W Galco Alves combat grips the factory target grips IMHO are like taking a wedge gripping it upside down and pounding on the top of the wedge with a hammer and expecting you to not have the wedge move in your hand. Grips are a personal choice but I've always been partial to Houge monogrips myself. Unfortunately since wheelguns aren't as mainstream anymore the grip/stock offerings aren't as plentiful as they once were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    My preferred stock for most S&Ws is the Hogue. Cheap and (IMHO) effective.
    Hogue rubber mono grips, with the finger grooves buzzed off on models that have them, are flat out my favorite revolvers grips on J frame thru N frame. Among other benefits, the way they position your hand, I feel like they even improve the trigger pull of an individual revolver. I have a fair number of plain to fancy wood grips, all sitting in a drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hogue rubber mono grips, with the finger grooves buzzed off on models that have them, are flat out my favorite revolvers grips on J frame thru N frame. Among other benefits, the way they position your hand, I feel like they even improve the trigger pull of an individual revolver. I have a fair number of plain to fancy wood grips, all sitting in a drawer.
    As practical as they sound, I am pretty set on wood. Maybe in the future when I am less enthralled by the idea of having a gun that isn't all black and mostly plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    As practical as they sound, I am pretty set on wood. Maybe in the future when I am less enthralled by the idea of having a gun that isn't all black and mostly plastic.
    Hogue makes them in wood, too.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hogue makes them in wood, too.
    Is that so... the monogrip you say?

Where do people keep finding .357 K-frames? I've been looking on and off for a few months and everything I find has 'collectors value' and costs enough that I'd feel bad about hitting the ejector rod especially hard.

User Tag List