Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Model 19-3 for IDPA/General marksmanship

Site Supporter
    If the front sight is integral then you might want to just leave it alone or apply some bright paint. However, if you want to modify it to hold a red ramp insert there are kits available for that purpose. There is a video available on the Midway USA site that shows the procedure:

http://videos.midwayusa.com/index.ph...?id=1_7jz2uzsu

I am not advising you one way or the other, just pointing it out.

Back in '87-'88 a gunsmith in Millington, TN bought some gold rings from a pawn shop and replaced the red plastic insert on a few S&W front sights with the gold. He also cut a dovetail in the front sight of his early model Detective Special a'la the Midway video and installed the gold instead of plastic. It did look pretty sweet.

OP now that you have had the gun a few months and I assume you have run it some. How do you like it? I read all of these mods etc to a k frame and I am amazed. I have several that if they were any better I couldnt stand it. Also how has this effected your shooting of your Glocks and your 442?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Sorry for the late reply - moved to a new city for a new job so life has been hectic.

I LOVE my k frame. Replaced the mainspring and rebound spring with a Wolff full power and 15lb respectively. Haven't had the time to do a ton of shooting but I have roughly 500rd through it by now. It has definitely helped me with my longer range (15 yd +) accuracy with all of my guns but the 442 remains a challenge, particularly at speed. In due time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    Back in '87-'88 a gunsmith in Millington, TN bought some gold rings from a pawn shop and replaced the red plastic insert on a few S&W front sights with the gold. He also cut a dovetail in the front sight of his early model Detective Special a'la the Midway video and installed the gold instead of plastic. It did look pretty sweet.
    I just found this thread and thought I would add my experience. I have done the plastic, verious color. red. green, yellow, and the gold using 10krt. The one I liked best was Ivory. Fellow gave me 3 old ivory piano keys and I made inserts for several revolvers.
    The Ivory kind of glows in low light and is easy to see, however it is no better than plain sights in the dark. I have no idea where
    to get Ivory now days unless you can find old figureines. You might get Mastadone ivory or walrus tusk from a knife makers supply, but I have never tried that on sights and don,t know how it would work.

One thing about doing the inserts is they won,t stand a lot of rough handling. You have to watch that they don,t get knocked around. If you are a working LEO you will know what I mean, bumping into things,etc.

Does anyone know if there is a scope mount available for the 19-3? My dad wants to run a red dot on his for fun/steel challenge/have fun with it again. I've been doing some research but have not come up with much.

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a scope mount available for the 19-3? My dad wants to run a red dot on his for fun/steel challenge/have fun with it again. I've been doing some research but have not come up with much.
    These wouldn't work?

http://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html

User Tag List