Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coloring your front sight

I think I'll try the paint pen first and see how that works.

You guys finally convinced me to bite on this.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Borrowing my post from elsewhere,
    I used this paint from the Hobby Lobby plastic scale model aisle-it says fluorescent red but it turns out very orange:
    [URL=http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/LOKNLOD/Guns/P30/?action=view&current=06938905.jpg]
    This is the exact same paint I used. I found I also needed to pick up a bottle of white primer (looks like Testor's/Model Master #4622 if I'm reading the label right), as this paint was quite thin on its own.

Like LOKNLOD says, it's really much more orange than red. It's also way more vibrant than the photos really capture.

It was a little tricky since the Meprolights on this gun have the glass for the tritium flush with the sight face; I ended up intentionally painting over the white circles (the aforementioned glass made them fuzzy looking anyway) leaving enough of a gap in the middle that the sights still shine through in the dark. I made sure to check my work after each coat to make sure I didn't accidentally paint over the inserts.

Final product is a bright orange front sight in high to low light with the green tritium vial still visible in the extreme low light where it matter. I'm pretty pleased with the result so far. Now to see if it helps my shooting any.
    Last edited by jslaker; 03-07-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat.c View Post
    I use a Sharpie paint pen that I found in a arts, and crafts store. It's cheap, and expedient. Turned out quite well on my Warrens. Also use them to label my mags.
    Same here - I bought orange for the plastic guns, but I used gold on my Heirloom Precision Commander - orange seemed too tacky.
    Last edited by John Ralston; 03-07-2011 at 10:09 PM.

I'm lazy so I just bought an Ameriglo Pro-Glo front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    I've never managed to get any paint in the tritium insert. Just got to have a steady hand.
    Same here - I've done 4 or 5 now and never had an issue.

BTW - are you guys with Heinie's on your HK's getting them with the "Qwik" notch (0.156 wide)? Seems to be the only option available.

Site Supporter
    Yes, QWIK. It is a really nice setup. I'd own 2 if you could get them without tritium.

User Tag List