Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coloring your front sight

Coloring your front sight

My duty gun is an M&P40 and wears trijicon 3 dots from the factory. What are people using to add some color to the front sight. As I get older, it's getting harder to pick that sight up especially in low light. I want as much of an advantage as I can get when Strike Tactical comes back to town this summer. I'm getting my certificate this time! Missed it by .25 2X when I took the class running full duty gear. Only 1 person from our group passed and he was an SRT shooter from the Sheriff Department.

My HK has a set of PT night sights that are 3 dot with a horizontal bar at the bottom of the rear notch. The front and the line was green and the rear dots were yellow. That sight was really easy to pick up.

Thanks

We are diminished
    JohnO High Visibility Front Sight

I've used both the tape and the paint. The paint is far easier to apply (especially if you have a serrated front sight). I use first a white paint pen for a base coat, then after it dries I apply two coats of orange. A toothpick helps keep the tritium dot clear.

ETA: photo

Site Supporter
    I find that automobile touch-up paint lasts the longest.

I'm going to give a fluorescent orange airbrush paint (using a precision brush) and a heat gun. We'll see how that works.

We are diminished
    Be careful with the heat. The epoxy that holds a tritium capsule in place can degrade under high heat and even if your capsule doesn't fall out right away, it will be more susceptible in the future.

Sometimes guns get hot when you shoot them, too.

Just sayin'...

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Sometimes guns get hot when you shoot them, too.
    And the tritium capsules fall out. There are dozens of them on the ground in Pennsylvania from when we were doing the ICE test shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    And the tritium capsules fall out. There are dozens of them on the ground in Pennsylvania from when we were doing the ICE test shooting.
    Well, yeah, but S&W fixed my PTC edition M&P9 right away when the vial fell out the first time!

We are diminished
    Well, yeah, but S&W fixed my PTC edition M&P9 right away when the vial fell out the first time!
    I believe that happened to a very high percentage of the Warren front sights used on the PTC guns.

Site Supporter
    S&W fixed my PTC edition M&P9 right away when the vial fell out the first time!
    Interesting, S&W told GermanSyn they wouldn't help him with his PT front sight.

User Tag List