Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired gun for USPSA Production

Hammer fired gun for USPSA Production

Background:
    I've been shooting Glocks for years, and really just Glock 19s. I have a Gen3 19 that wears Warren sights(FO front), a GFA, and some grip tape that I have been using in USPSA since November of last year. I've gotten significantly better since I started competing(imagine that...) and now my original mantra of "shoot what you carry" is getting boring. I suppose at some point I realized that USPSA is a really fun game and I should treat it as such.

So now I have an itch to put down my well-used Glock and try something new, preferably in Production. I've never owned or put any significant time behind a hammer fired DA/SA pistol. All of my shooting has been on SAO and strikers. To keep things interesting I'd like to jump feet first into a DA/SA steel/alloy framed gun. My theory or rationale is that a new trigger will keep me focused and only improve my fundamentals.

So now the choices:
    Sig P series(226, 228, 229)- Expensive. Cheap mags available. Sights available. Good reputation for accuracy.
    HK (P30, P2000) - Expensive. Expensive mags. Some sight options. Also a good rep for accuracy.
    Beretta 92 - Cheap. Cheap mags. Sight? Accuracy? I'm intrigued because I never see any of them at matches...
    CZ - Cheap. Cheap mags. Limited sight options. Good accuracy. I used to have a 75 SAO, so I'm familial with the guns, though not the decocker versions.

I'm only considering 9mm since I don't hate myself.

What am I missing? I'm really tempted by a M11A1 but prices are a bit steep. Same with HK. A Beretta or CZ would only be $700-800 for the gun, mags, holster, pouches, etc.

Any sage advice? My goal isn't to be ultra-competitive. I just want a new and interesting platform to learn while competing in a division that doesn't have tuned race guns.

As much as it hurts me to say this, you should really look to see if you can find a Tanfoglio Stock II or Stock III for sale on Gunbroker. They're really awesome, and you can put an amazing trigger job in one. It's like shooting a limited gun in Production.

Don't let people fool you into thinking the guns aren't tuned just because its called "production". Remember that NASCAR was called "stock ca racing".

http://acguns.com/?page_id=242

I've considered having akai build me a CZ that remains stoc looking as much as possible just for kittens and grins. His DA trigger is nicer than som striker-fired guns.
    Last edited by ToddG; 08-11-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: language

Hammer gun for Production, look at a P226 Stainless Elite or an X5 All Around.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Hammer gun for Production, look at a P226 Stainless Elite or an X5 All Around.
    In my experience, recoil control with aluminum framed SIGs is equal to or superior to the steel versions. This is based on actual side by side comparison on a timer in multiple calibers.

Also, I'd stay away from any of the guns with a "beavertail." The beavertail on the SIGs actually pushes your hand lower on the gun than you could get it otherwise. It was developed 100% by the (since terminated) marketing genius who is only a D-class IPSC shooter because the sport won't create an E-class. It looks cool and checks the box for "extra tactical feature" but it actually diminishes shootability. For a SIG, I'd get a P226R or P229R in 9mm with SRT and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    ..while competing in a division that doesn't have tuned race guns.
    Caleb and Rob already touched on this, but those Tanfos and CZs are purpose built to be tuned within the requirements of Production.

I've gone through similar thought process and I am currently getting a Beretta Elite II set up, even though DA/SA P30 would've been easier logistically since I carry P30 LEM. Elite II is an expensive pleasure too.

I think I'd agree with Todd on this.

Beretta is one of the few guns whose stock sights are pretty decent. That's a good thing, because on most models, you can't change the front sight. As for accuracy, mine have all been very good. My Elite's a laser beam, and with a D-spring in it, any 92 will have a decent trigger.

Given Sig's QC issues, CZ's durability issues and HK's economy issues, the Beretta is still my first choice in a DA/SA gun.

I'd still say CZ Shadow, even with the Stock II and III hitting the markets now. The trigger in the Shadow is still better, and you can get flush safeties, which for a lot of people, is a huge benefit.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Since you state you want a play gun and don't want to keep shooting a Glock or similar, then go with a CZ or Tanfoglio Stock II or Stock III, as noted above.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Beretta Elite II gets my vote. Or CZ Shadow.
    Jeremy Tye
    Nevada Highway Patrol
    USPSA - A62335

User Tag List