Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W Performance Center 9mm 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Thanks for some advice guys. I think I'll end up giving the pro series a try. It will start off as a game gun and if it proves to be reliable I'll use it for a carry piece. I'm getting into reloading too so, my next 1911 may be a Wilson .38 Super.
    Because I've been too busy to reload I've been feeding my Wilson .38S factory ammo. It's been easy to find and pretty cheap (less than $20 a box from Midway or SGA).

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Because I've been too busy to reload I've been feeding my Wilson .38S factory ammo. It's been easy to find and pretty cheap (less than $20 a box from Midway or SGA).
    Never really knew why the super didn't get more followers

Thanks for some advice guys. I think I'll end up giving the pro series a try. It will start off as a game gun and if it proves to be reliable I'll use it for a carry piece. I'm getting into reloading too so, my next 1911 may be a Wilson .38 Super.
    I do like Wilson 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Never really knew why the super didn't get more followers
    It doesn't have followers.

It has leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    According to the dudes at 10-8 Performance, but external extractor on the S&W 1911s is the best external extractor 1911 design yet, which is sort of damning by faint praise. The Pro Series 9mm 1911 gun they have is one of the few factory 9mm 1911s that I've seen run well right out of the box, which is something. I'm just not sold on the idea of 9mm 1911, Todd's experience aside to really get all hot and bothered about them. If it was a .38 Super on the other hand...
    I know a guy who sent a S&W 1911 back to the factory 5 times
    But hey that was in 45ACP not 9mm

Like you not sold on 9mm 1911

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It doesn't have followers.

It has leaders.
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    They do?
    The Sw1911 Pro 9mm catalogs the same 41 oz as the .45. Do they take off just enough to make up for the smaller hole in the barrel?

It would still be my first stop if I were rearming.
    Looking at the pictures, it appears to be a lightened slide.

Dunno how much or how effective.

All that said, a 9x23 finish reamer, 10 min of work, and you got yourself a nice heater. Just sayin'

My 1911 Pro Series in 9mm has been flawless. Not only does it go bang every time, it is one of the most accurate guns I own. The only issue I had was the size of the grips was not allowing for the firing pin safety to disengage. That was easily remedied.

I have had a custom 9mm 1911 before. The recoil level is pretty low. I have seen the S&W one too, and have been tempted.

I do like 9mm. One negative I considered was the magazine capacity for such a large gun, compared to non 1911 9mm handguns of the same size. I can carry 15-17+ in my Beretta 92, over the 9-10 rounds in a 9mm 1911. But, if you are a 1911 fan, I think you will be pleased

I think the only difference between a 9mm 1911 and a Super 38 (38 Super) 1911 is the magazine, barrel, and recoil spring. I used to run a Wilson Combat Super Grade Accucomp LE (named after Letham-Enos) in 38 Super back in the day, 1980's, when a single stack 1911 in 38 Super was the hot setup for IPSC/USPSA. Finished 21st at the Nationals one year with it too. Of course there were only about 450 competitors that year.

User Tag List