Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedge for AIWB Holster

Keep in mind, adding something to push the top of the holster away from your body will result in the gun being directed further towards your body during reholstering.

The most often suggested method of reholstering an AIWB carried gun involves rotating the gun and holster slightly, so the muzzle is not pointed at your body while you push the gun into the holster. Modifying your holster in the fashion you are proposing will make this potentially life saving maneuver much harder.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

BOM's point is very valid.

What you're proposing has a strong "Well, everybody can see me carrying the gun, now...but at least the muzzle's pointed DIRECTLY at my sac instead of in the viscinity...!" kind of vibe to it. If you want near-guaranteed comfort and don't care about printing because you're incorrectly keeping other legit gun-carriers foremost in your mind...just go back to a more traditional concealment method or open-carry the thing.

If you're interested in a reasonable level of comfort that allows you to keep the thing from the eyes of the bad guys...I'd give some thought to trying an AIWB holster that provides some deliberately engineered height/cant adjustability, before trying to bubba-rig two wrongs into a right.

Quote Originally Posted by hookemhorns View Post
    If I were to make a homemade modification, what have people used to attach something to kydex? Just regular super glue??
    I suppose SuperGlue would work, but ShoeGoo or similar can be put exactly where you want it because it's thicker stuff, can be spread like peanut butter (which does NOT make an effective adhesive...); it won't run off. Degrease and rough up the surface of the kydex, first, then glue loop velcro to the holster. If you put hook velcro on the holster....well, good luck wearing it without a pad in place. Ask me how I know....

My pads are made of unused morale patches ShoeGoo'd to equally unused spare Aero or MSA helmet pads, which use the foam found in motorcycle helmets and the like.

I'd not try to just glue some kind of pad to the holster. No matter what kind of padding you use, it's gonna compress or wear over time, and you'll want to replace/refresh it.

Guys,

The Keeper is Patent pending. So please keep that in mind. Ive had to send a few letters to folks already...
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Guys,

The Keeper is Patent pending. So please keep that in mind. Ive had to send a few letters to folks already...
    So you are saying that if anyone takes a piece of foam, cuts it into a wedge shape, and velcro's it to their holster they are violating your pending patent?

That's a good way to gain new business.

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Guys,

My upcoming AIWB holster utilizes foam as the wedge. Should my lawyer be ready for a cease and desist letter?

If it matters, I've got email correspondence, with pictures, dating back to at least October 2012. I have no idea when you started using it or, more importantly, applied for the patent, since I've just recently seen your design in the last couple months.

Is this something I should be concerned about? PM me if necessary.

I don't think a consumer can violate patent or trademarks if said consumer modifies his or her own item without the intention of resale.

Your designs look solid and I'm by no means saying you copied my design, since I kept it very private. It's just not a far fetched idea to look at a bunch of foam used for compression molding and discover a use for it. What exactly are you patenting?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    ...I've got email correspondence, with pictures, dating back to at least October 2012. I have no idea when you started using it or, more importantly, applied for the patent, since I've just recently seen your design in the last couple months...Your designs look solid and I'm by no means saying you copied my design, since I kept it very private...
    See this thread, and then this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    See this thread, and then this thread.
    I gave an honest date, I didn't go back, find the earliest review, and say I started a month earlier.

But it still doesn't change that I'd never heard of the company up until recently. I still haven't found a website even.

A new Kydex shop pops up every time I fart. You're going to see ideas come about simultaneously.

That said, the holster looks great. But if you take away the implementation of foam, our designs are completely different.

ETA: The October date was when the first T&E got dropped to a tester with that feature - that's why it sticks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    My upcoming AIWB holster utilizes foam as the wedge. Should my lawyer be ready for a cease and desist letter?

If it matters, I've got email correspondence, with pictures, dating back to at least October 2012. I have no idea when you started using it or, more importantly, applied for the patent, since I've just recently seen your design in the last couple months.

Is this something I should be concerned about? PM me if necessary.

I don't think a consumer can violate patent or trademarks if said consumer modifies his or her own item without the intention of resale.

Your designs look solid and I'm by no means saying you copied my design, since I kept it very private. It's just not a far fetched idea to look at a bunch of foam used for compression molding and discover a use for it. What exactly are you patenting?
    I am not an attorney, but from what I have read up on.............

You are correct. Any end user can do whatever they choose with an item they purchased as long as there is no intention to do so for resale. Is Mr.Prdator going to come knocking on my door because I put a piece of foam on a kydex holster? That would be highly amusing.

Secondly, patent pending means just that. A patent has been applied for (and if a business lies about it but uses the term, they can be heavily fined). A person or business is free to do whatever they want with their own product. If your design is like the other guys design, once his patent is actually granted, then you must cease production IF your product is very similar in all manners. Or you can change a thing or two and go about your business. Look at Milt Sparks VMII as an example. There are TONS of makers who have a VERY similar product. Do you see MS threatening people on an internet forum? I think not.

In my personal view, just the fact that "prdator" came on and spewed about how people better watch themselves because he "owns" the rights to a piece of foam wedge, is enough to NEVER even think about buying his product. Others are free to make there own decisions.

We are diminished
    If anyone has questions about Prdator's patent application, please contact him directly via PM or email.

As there have been no specifics provided in this thread and apparently no one explaining things is actually a patent attorney, I'm going to ask that further speculation and vitriol cease.

Thank you.

So has anyone found a good source for foam for DIY wedges?

User Tag List