Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local trainer now or big name trainer later?

Local trainer now or big name trainer later?

I thought this might be a productive discussion... and maybe answer some of my own questions for planning.

Looking around, I see two types of classes - multi-day classes with well-known traveling instructors, which will only be in your local area once a year, and local one-day classes with usually less-well-known trainers.

The former will usually be much more extensive and expensive. Just to use Todd as an example, AFHF is ~$400 plus ammo, while a weekend with one of the local trainers is more like $100 for a Saturday.

My question is... if one is limited in funds, at the beginner-intermediate level (ie, someone who meets the requirements for a class like AFHF and not a lot more), would you usually recommend taking several local classes, or saving up to take one of the more well-known classes next year? On the one hand, while there are many qualified local instructors, in generally the instruction quality will be higher in one of the more name-brand classes. On the other hand, you can get the cheaper instruction immediately, put it into use, and come back for a refresher and continued improvement several times over the course of the same time period to work out kinks.

What have you all found is the better approach? Obviously everyone reaches a point where there's only so much you can learn from anyone who isn't at the top of the teaching community, but which is the better way to that point?

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I thought this might be a productive discussion... and maybe answer some of my own questions for planning.

Looking around, I see two types of classes - multi-day classes with well-known traveling instructors, which will only be in your local area once a year, and local one-day classes with usually less-well-known trainers.

The former will usually be much more extensive and expensive. Just to use Todd as an example, AFHF is ~$400 plus ammo, while a weekend with one of the local trainers is more like $100 for a Saturday.

My question is... if one is limited in funds, at the beginner-intermediate level (ie, someone who meets the requirements for a class like AFHF and not a lot more), would you usually recommend taking several local classes, or saving up to take one of the more well-known classes next year? On the one hand, while there are many qualified local instructors, in generally the instruction quality will be higher in one of the more name-brand classes. On the other hand, you can get the cheaper instruction immediately, put it into use, and come back for a refresher and continued improvement several times over the course of the same time period to work out kinks.

What have you all found is the better approach? Obviously everyone reaches a point where there's only so much you can learn from anyone who isn't at the top of the teaching community, but which is the better way to that point?
    I think local schools can have a lot to offer and might be worth checking out. I'm sure it depends on the school/trainer though.

I went through a couple years of lots and lots of classes, primarily at two local schools which happen to be particularly well run. When I have trained with more nationally known trainers, the local training has acquitted itself well, and I've seen that pattern with all my buddies/students/training partners when they have trained at these schools locally and then gone on to a more well known instructor. Everyone has something to teach, and it's not as if the local training was the same as AFHF, LFI, etc., but I got a ton of development for the money locally.

When we had AFHF out here in 2012, the class was composed of people who had primarily trained locally at those two schools. I *think* we were a pretty strong class overall, though I don't think we broke the record for the overall highest levels of FAST (I think there was a West Point class that did that.) I hope I'm not recalling this wrong and mischaracterizing it.

Anyway - I would look into the local schools for sure, be skeptical because there is BS floating around too, but maybe give them the chance.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    ....., though I don't think we broke the record for the overall highest levels of FAST (I think there was a West Point class that did that.) I hope I'm not recalling this wrong and mischaracterizing it.
    Negative. Unless we've been beat since then my ATL class in March 2011 holds that record.
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ATL-March-2011

Again, that could be outdated though.

I'd say you will learn from every instructor you take a class from. Sometimes you learn what to do. Sometimes you learn what not to do. Either way there is learning involved.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Negative. Unless we've been beat since then my ATL class in March 2011 holds that record.

I don't think that record has been broken. It would have rated a blog and I don't think I've ever seen one.

I can't help the OP my training background is too short. But for me, Frank Proctor is virtually local a couple hours drive away.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post

I'd say you will learn from every instructor you take a class from. Sometimes you learn what to do. Sometimes you learn what not to do. Either way there is learning involved.
    Nice shooting ATL crew!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

The fundamentals are the same no matter who teaches them to you or how much they charge.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    The only stipulation I would have would be that you should specifically look for a local class ON FUNDAMENTALS.

I would be really leery of unknown guys teaching anything specialized. Particularly tactical-y stuff. The number of people out there who are living in some kind of militarized fantasy world never ceases to amaze and terrify me, and I am sure some of them use shooting instruction as an outlet.

In my experience, people who openly embrace the idea of teaching shooting fundamentals seem to have their heads screwed on a little better.

I shoot moderately well (and by normal standards, very well) and the vast majority of training I do is with a local guy, who I generally credit with having taught me about 90% of what I know about how to shoot.

Flawless, sub-moa fit and finish...all day long.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    The only stipulation I would have would be that you should specifically look for a local class ON FUNDAMENTALS.

I would be really leery of unknown guys teaching anything specialized. Particularly tactical-y stuff. The number of people out there who are living in some kind of militarized fantasy world never ceases to amaze and terrify me, and I am sure some of them use shooting instruction as an outlet.

In my experience, people who openly embrace the idea of teaching shooting fundamentals seem to have their heads screwed on a little better.

I shoot moderately well (and by normal standards, very well) and the vast majority of training I do is with a local guy, who I generally credit with having taught me about 90% of what I know about how to shoot.

Flawless, sub-moa fit and finish...all day long.
    This. Exactly.

Maybe we have a lot of bad trainers in my area but I would be really skeptical of taking a class from anyone local when there are known quantities out there like Kyle Defoor, Larry Vickers, Chris Costa, South Narc... To name a few. There are certainly many like them that just dont have the reputation, however, I would do a lot of research before I dove into someone's class. All but one of the instructors I've met in my area are retards. And the one that isn't is awesome, although he is also a 25 year veteran of a major Florida metropolitan police department whose spent most of his career on the street. When he speaks I listen.

Good thread.

In NC, we have a good handful of local and semi-local (to me) instructors. We had Costa come through the Raleigh area some months ago, and given the amount of military bases on the east coast of NC, and training schools, we have others.

There are several good local instructors with various backgrounds.

My most recent course was a rifle course with a USPSA GM/IDPA M level competitive shooter, who is also a long time SWAT Team member and instructor of SWAT Teams and other units.

With his background, he not only discussed, addressed, and drilled the importance of fundamentals, but could also bring the real world, practical, experiences to the class.

I look forward to taking his CQB handgun course in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List