Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Fundamental Training vice Tactical Training

Finding Fundamental Training vice Tactical Training

All right, first post here, but I've been following the blog (and Gun Nuts) for awhile.

I want to try to obtain some local training on fundamentals vice tactical. I've taken a defensive pistol one course (I liked it so much I took it twice, convincing my father to join me the second time). That is not what I'm looking for.

Specifically, I'm looking for advanced fundamentals of grip, thumbs, fingers, trigger finger/s, support hand only technique, weapon hand only technique, draw, efficient presentation, forming the free-style grip efficiently.... I think that paints the picture.

In reviewing many training websites the philosophy that pops out for me right now is Larry Vickers and info from TCinVA's review of Bob Vogel's class.
    I think Todd is currently not teaching??

However, I just finished reading the thread, "Local trainer now or big name trainer later?" and local seems like a good place to start, but as pointed out in that post I need to separate the tactical trainers from the fundamentals trainers. The acquintances that I shoot with that I would ask offer instruction and both are not what I'm looking for.

How do I do this? What questions do I ask the potential instructor?

Suggestions/discussion?

happy shooting, dv
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

How far are you willing to travel for a class? Are you willing to fly to a class?

When would you like to take this class? I believe a lot of trainers have scaled back their schedules this year (presumably because the ammo crunch has made it difficult to fill classes, I don't know.)

Do you prefer a big name instructor, or are you willing to risk an unknown?

Do you have the typical recommended/required gear list? Mags, holster, good belt, etc.? Ammo?

Is your gear (gun, magazines) legal in IL? (Not sure what restrictions exist in that state)

Cheers,
    David

Uhm, did your spellchecker turn "versus" into "vice?" If not, I'm having a hard time ferreting our your meaning.

With that said, there aren't any mountains you can climb where they hand out stone tablets containing revealed shooting truth, though there are plenty of folks out there who will try to sell you stone tablets they carved themselves. There are certainly folks around here who can nudge you in the right direction, but you gotta figure out what works for your specific needs yourself.
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    How far are you willing to travel for a class? Are you willing to fly to a class?

When would you like to take this class? I believe a lot of trainers have scaled back their schedules this year (presumably because the ammo crunch has made it difficult to fill classes, I don't know.)

Do you prefer a big name instructor, or are you willing to risk an unknown?

Do you have the typical recommended/required gear list? Mags, holster, good belt, etc.? Ammo?

Is your gear (gun, magazines) legal in IL? (Not sure what restrictions exist in that state)

Cheers,
    David
    David,

Not willing to fly right now (until Uncle Sam will let me earn the other 20% of my normal pay - DoD furlough). Next year, yes.

Currently looking for local classes.

Willing to risk an unknown, but subject to screening, of course.

My gear fits all the recommended/required lists, except when they specify "factory" ammo. Otherwise, I have plenty of components. I shoot IDPA SSP and USPSA-style local shoots using Production gear.

I'm not sure about the IL thing - a G17 with standard mags.

happy shooting, dv

Rangemaster, in Memphis, is a solid choice.

Cool

I don't see a differentiation between "tactical" and "fundamentals".

I've taken classes from both Vickers and Vogel.

The trainer who I thought covered the basics best was Louis Awerbuck. He was a RO at the original Gunsite with Jeff Cooper. http://www.yfainc.com/schedule.html

I'd suggest Vickers and Vogel once you get your fundamentals more ironed out. I did thoroughly enjoy all 3 instructors, and would recommend them to anyone.

If you are in Wisconsin you might might look at training with Ben Stoeger (current USPSA national production champion) - he is in Wisconsin too. He teaches USPSA-oriented classes but they contain a lot of technical skills work as well. Plus it sounds like you do that kind of competitive shooting anyway. I took his class and it was good, especially for me just getting into USPSA and not being very good at managing the game aspects of it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Uhm, did your spellchecker turn "versus" into "vice?" If not, I'm having a hard time ferreting our your meaning. .
    Don't think so. Vice can be used to mean rather than or instead of - this usage is popular in military circles.
    Last edited by cmoore; 08-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    If you are in Wisconsin you might might look at training with Ben Stoeger (current USPSA national production champion) - he is in Wisconsin too. He teaches USPSA-oriented classes but they contain a lot of technical skills work as well. Plus it sounds like you do that kind of competitive shooting anyway. I took his class and it was good, especially for me just getting into USPSA and not being very good at managing the game aspects of it.
    Excellent resource, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    Don't think so. Vice can be used to mean rather than or instead of - this usage is popular in military circles.
    Well, that's the problem... 20 years in the Navy. It's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Happy shooting, dv

User Tag List