Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those fans of scifi and "Starship Troopers" (the novel, not the awful movie)

For those fans of scifi and "Starship Troopers" (the novel, not the awful movie)

Forum member Marko Kloos wrote the book "Terms of Enlistment" which is a very solid science fiction novel with what felt to me, Starship Trooper like thoughts on the military and citizenship. I read the book long before I saw Marko on the forum and can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Interestingly enough, I read Marko's book on the advice of another novelist; Stephen Gustav, author of "The Veil War" which is not science fiction but fantasy and another excellent read. I know Stephen personally and shoot with him regularly.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 08-01-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    #RESIST

Does he manage to take it somewhere different and interesting?

I read Scalzi's Old Man's War on similar advice, and while I liked his concept, in practice I felt the book wasn't enough different from the plot of Troopers to really excite me. I love Starship Troopers, but I've read it already.

I do really enjoy Marko's blog, though, so I may check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Does he manage to take it somewhere different and interesting?

I read Scalzi's Old Man's War on similar advice, and while I liked his concept, in practice I felt the book wasn't enough different from the plot of Troopers to really excite me. I love Starship Troopers, but I've read it already.

I do really enjoy Marko's blog, though, so I may check it out.
    I thought so. He didn't slavishly copy anything and there was a nice plot line about earth crumbling at the local level with many, many on the dole and military service being the only way out for some. Old Man's War wasn't bad but quickly lost me after the second novel. Well that, and Scalzi endorsing Obama
    #RESIST

I read it a while back after seeing Tam's recommendation, and agree with LL. It's very well done, and different enough to be interesting. My only (and very minor) complaint would be that the ending leaves you hanging a bit, I assume to set up a sequel. That said, I'll definitely be reading the next one.
    If you're on Amazon Prime I think it's in the lending library for free.

I would recommend trying a sample and then if you like it, spending the three bucks.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I read it a while back after seeing Tam's recommendation, and agree with LL. It's very well done, and different enough to be interesting. My only (and very minor) complaint would be that the ending leaves you hanging a bit, I assume to set up a sequel. That said, I'll definitely be reading the next one.
    If Marko went with the sequel the way he was talking on the phone, you won't be disappointed. "Now with 50% more 'splodey!"
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I would recommend trying a sample and then if you like it, spending the three bucks.
    Heck, I have one of the late drafts in .doc format on a thumb drive somewhere and I still shelled out the three bucks.

(The downside of the ePublishing era: "Yes, I have an original manuscript. No, it isn't autographed..." )
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Does the author get any compensation for downloads from the Prime library? I assumed they do, but honestly don't know. Something to keep in mind I guess, especially with an author who's just starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If Marko went with the sequel the way he was talking on the phone, you won't be disappointed. "Now with 50% more 'splodey!"
    Awesome. The end was definitely a "kitten, now I have to wait for the next one" moment, not "Well that sucked"

Forum member Marko Kloos wrote the book "Terms of Enlistment" which is a very solid science fiction novel with what felt to me, Starship Trooper like thoughts on the military and citizenship. I read the book long before I saw Marko on the forum and can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Interestingly enough, I read Marko's book on the advice of another novelist; Stephen Gustav, author of "The Veil War" which is not science fiction but fantasy and another excellent read. I know Stephen personally and shoot with him regularly.
    Just ordered Terms of Enlistment Kindle version for 2.99. Thanks for the suggestion LL always looking for good reads the fact the author is a forum member is a bonus.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Yes, I get paid every time someone borrows a book through the Prime library.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. And yes, the sequel (called "Lines of Departure" and due out in January) will be More! Explodey! Still!

I also have a novella in the same world due out in August, to fill the gap between novel releases.

User Tag List