Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single stack 9mm, AIWB, with a tucked in shirt: can it be done?

Site Supporter

Single stack 9mm, AIWB, with a tucked in shirt: can it be done?

Hi all,

(I wasn't sure which section to post this in, since it pertains to pistols and EDC gear, but I thought this was the best place...)

For the past 9 years, I've worked out of my home so carrying my Glock 19 AIWB has not been a problem concealment-wise. I will be starting a new job in an office setting in mid-August where I'll need to dress business casual very day (i.e. khaki pants and a golf/polo shirt tucked in). So I think I'll need to change up my carry weapon. I do have a S&W 442 that I use for pocket carry, but I really dislike the weight of it in my front pocket and the fact it flops around while wearing khakis.

I'd like to find a single stack 9mm with a similar manual of arms as my Glock 19 and a tuckable AIWB holster that will allow me to carry concealed in my new work environment. Can it be done? What pistol and holster combo would you suggest? I'm thinking a pistol like the Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, S&W Shield, etc may work. What other pistol options are there? Thin and light are the requirements here, and of course reliability. The holster would have to be an AIWB type that is tuckable. I typically wear a Wilderness 1.5" 5-stitch belt, but I'll probably need to acquire a more dressy leather belt too... maybe a 1.25" belt. Suggestions there too?

My body type lends itself to easily carrying my G19 in AIWB position with an untucked shirt, but a tucked in shirt is much different.

Thanks for your time and any info you can share.

Chris

It can absolutely be done. I'd even argue that it's very possible with the 19 you already own.

On duty (patrol) I carry a Sig P239 as a BUG AIWB with my uniform shirt tucked in and have for a number of years. I have a workmate who carries an HK USP compact (quite a big double stack pistol) in the same location as a bug on duty very effectively. Both with good concealment.

There are a few options in the 'tuckable market' but we both use the Comptac Minotaur hybrid AIWB models. These don't do a great job of hiding the butt of the gun and they have quite a wide profile necessitating more 12 o'clock alignment (in contrast to a true appendix carry at 130 or 2) but they're very comfortable. And as is key to the discussion, they permit shirts to be tucked in. Another advantage is they are very adjustable for cant as well as ride height; one of the reasons I decided to initially try one. I've also had pretty good luck with the Raven ACR in this role although its not quite as comfortable as the Comptac for me.

As an aside, off duty I've moved on to carrying a full sized pistol daily (226) instead of the smaller compact. The advent of the new breed of appendix holsters (SME, Keeper, JM, etc...) have made concealing bigger guns possible with the same or similar levels of comfort.

Here are a couple pics for reference:

I carry either a 19 or a 26 tucked in daily. Lately it's been the 26 in a VM2 although I have and really like my JR Customs set up. The attachment point is always going to be the biggest issue and you'll probably want to blouse your shirt a little.

Sure. Check out Yute's post (# 34) from this thread: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...usiness+casual

I have a similar setup from JRC for a Walther PPS and spare mag. It works well.

You may also want to consider the Smart Carry. Several folks have used it with good results.
    Taking a break from social media.

A belly band might be an even better bet. Weird loops on your belt will be noticed and eventually inquired about. If that could cost you your job, it would be wise to weigh the options. Not saying you shouldn't try, just to be sure you've considered any risk you face for being outed.
    Memento Mori

I work in a very NPE (hint: it's not a state) and carry daily with an LC9 in a SmartCarry. Very doable. I carry an extra magazine in the SmartCarry as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

Reviewer of the Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    On duty (patrol) I carry a Sig P239 as a BUG AIWB...
    Excellent post and info Taadski. Question, do you find that keeping your BUG positioned for use with your strong side hand the best option? Would it make any sense to carry it positioned for your left/weak side hand in the event that someone was trying to pull your primary sidearm from your holster and your right arm was tied up in the fight?

WB,

I understand where you're coming from and I've considered making my BUG "left hand primary". In fact, I carried a J frame as a BUG in my left front pocket for a while years ago and the concept has merit. My rationale for not doing so is as follows:

I carry AIWB off duty as well and I've become pretty adept at the off hand draw from that carry position. I practice it and like the idea that the draw stroke from that position is the same whether off or on duty. If the situation arose and my right arm were incapacitated while working, I'd likely draw from the appendix holster with my weak hand anyway rather than mess with my duty holster's retention around the corner at the 3 o'clock (although I practice that some too). I also carry a knife on my weak side daily as a defensive option and have a taser mounted at the 9-930 which I train with exclusively with my left hand. Finally, in the event I have a catastrophic malfunction of some kind with my primary (knock on wood), the 239 is accessible for a full speed strong hand draw from the appendix position; a draw I spend a lot of time training and one that's only a couple 10ths off my normal duty draw speed.

Anyway, hope that explanation makes sense.

t

Reviewer of the Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    WB,

I understand where you're coming from and I've considered making my BUG "left hand primary". In fact, I carried a J frame as a BUG in my left front pocket for a while years ago and the concept has merit. My rationale for not doing so is as follows:

I carry AIWB off duty as well and I've become pretty adept at the off hand draw from that carry position. I practice it and like the idea that the draw stroke from that position is the same whether off or on duty. If the situation arose and my right arm were incapacitated while working, I'd likely draw from the appendix holster with my weak hand anyway rather than mess with my duty holster's retention around the corner at the 3 o'clock (although I practice that some too). I also carry a knife on my weak side daily as a defensive option and have a taser mounted at the 9-930 which I train with exclusively with my left hand. Finally, in the event I have a catastrophic malfunction of some kind with my primary (knock on wood), the 239 is accessible for a full speed strong hand draw from the appendix position; a draw I spend a lot of time training and one that's only a couple 10ths off my normal duty draw speed.

Anyway, hope that explanation makes sense.

t
    That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the explanation.

User Tag List