Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P failure to fire w/o light primer strike?

M&P failure to fire w/o light primer strike?

I had my first two M&P stoppages yesterday. Both were failures to fire; I could only find one of the rounds and it had no marks. I put it back into a mag and fired it.

Any idea what could cause this?
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

How many rounds thru the weapon?

Are you using an OEM or aftermarket striker spring?

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    I had my first two M&P stoppages yesterday. Both were failures to fire; I could only find one of the rounds and it had no marks. I put it back into a mag and fired it.

Any idea what could cause this?

Site Supporter
    I would details strip the slide and look for a junk in the striker channel or broken striker.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    How many rounds thru the weapon?

Are you using an OEM or aftermarket striker spring?
    About 4-5K. I failed to keep a log until recently.

Stock striker spring.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I would details strip the slide and look for a junk in the striker channel or broken striker.
    I fired about 100 rounds after both stoppages, wouldn't a broker striker disable the weapon?

FWIW, I was planning on changing out the striker to a newer iteration later tonight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    wouldn't a broker striker disable the weapon?
    Probably, but it could depend on where it broke. The typical break, from excessive dry firing, does disable the gun ... the leg breaks off.

I would definitely inspect the striker channel and the striker block when you've got it broken down. I'm not a fan of having to remove the rear sight to get the striker block out. I like to keep my sights fixed, but I would remove it in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Probably, but it could depend on where it broke. The typical break does disable the gun, the leg breaks off.

I would definitely inspect the striker channel and the striker block when you've got it broken down.
    Will do, thanks. I see what you mean, if it broke forward of the leg it could still work somewhat. That would be a pretty atypical break, methinks.

Did you notice if the striker fell? I'm betting not. Because no dimple it sounds like an M&P "dead trigger". A case where the sear fails to reset.

What sear? What size sear plunger?

Take the striker out and clean the channel like JV said. When you have the striker out of the gun, check to make sure it is straight. The tip of the striker on my early M&P started to bend and would have a light strike about every 25 rounds.

I replaced it with the latest generation and have not had a problem since.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Is your striker silver or black? The newest revision is silver in color, has slightly more mass, a stronger striker spring and change in geometry for more reliable ignition. It cured my light strikes with RWS ammo.

User Tag List