Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Who carries a snubby?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    If carrying an SP101, why not a snub K frame S&W or a Security or Speed Six? I'm not knocking your choice, if it's what you're comfortable and proficient with, then obviously that's the proper pistol. I'm curious more than anything.

Good looking grip panels!
    I had a vintage Security Six with a 2.75" barrel. Its advantage over the SP101 was the extra round. Its disadvantage was the DA trigger pull and its weight. I think a recent critic was right: the Security Six is really a single action revolver capable of being fired double action. The comment was meant in jest but the SP101's trigger pull is much better than the SS. And, the OP I think was concerned about weight. So between weight and trigger pull...I left off my SS.

If the weather is cold enough(read: more concealable) I sometimes carry my N-Frame Performance Center Model 627. Certainly not easily carried concealed but it is singularly the most accurate handgun I've ever owned. I mention this because I am equally enamored with both S&W and Ruger...LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_79 View Post
    I had a vintage Security Six with a 2.75" barrel. Its advantage over the SP101 was the extra round. Its disadvantage was the DA trigger pull and its weight. I think a recent critic was right: the Security Six is really a single action revolver capable of being fired double action. The comment was meant in jest but the SP101's trigger pull is much better than the SS. And, the OP I think was concerned about weight. So between weight and trigger pull...I left off my SS.

If the weather is cold enough(read: more concealable) I sometimes carry my N-Frame Performance Center Model 627. Certainly not easily carried concealed but it is singularly the most accurate handgun I've ever owned. I mention this because I am equally enamored with both S&W and Ruger...LOL.
    Your SP101 is a hell of a good weapon. ( I carried one in 9mm).
    The issue with the Speed/Security /Service/Service Six issue can be rectified by a competent smith.
    Hamilton Bowen did a DAO conversion (breaks like glass) for a friend, and is currently doing a Speed Six project of mine. (will post up when complete)

LCR 38+P in a Galco OWB. Carry ammo is Cor-Bon DPX 110gr+P Barnes.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

My S&W 442 rides in a hand-made Kydex IWB holster at about 4:00. Reloads come from speed-strips or HKS speedloaders. I load all 6 holes in the speed-strips, even though my gun can only hold 5, just in case I fumble the load of a round from the speedstrip (one in reserve). I carry Federal 158gr LSWCHP .38+P - a little snappy to shoot, but I'm not worried about them getting the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by kle View Post
    I carry Federal 158gr LSWCHP .38+P - a little snappy to shoot, but I'm not worried about them getting the job done.
    I would consider the Remington or Buffalo Bore if you want to carry the FBI load. The Federal lead is a bit hard for expansion at snub velocities, whereas Remington's lead is very soft and will expand out of snubs (BB uses Remington lead, IIRC).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    There's a Ruger LCR with an XS front sight and CTC Lasergrips in a TUFF pocket holster in my left front pocket as I type this. But then again my G19 is also on my right hip. Mine is loaded with the 130gr +p PDX1 load. Gonna do some testing with it and the Speer short barrel load along with Critical Defense.

Site Supporter

3 inch Chief Special Revolvers

When I started as a cop (1981) most agencies around here carried S&W Revolvers, mostly K frames. Among the more knowledgable shooters, the 3 inch Chief's Special was a very popular off duty & backup gun. I bought the first one I ever fired. (A friend made me a deal. I made the last payment on the day President Reagan was shot).

At that time the County Traffic Police was separate from the Sheriff's Department (they merged in January of 1982). Among the avid shooters there was one group that carried S&W Auto pistols. (Many of them carried Walther PP or PPK or PPK/S pistols as hideout guns); another group that carried Colt Pythons (with Detective Specials as hide-out guns) and a final group that preferred the Smith & Wesson revolvers, mostly 5 inch Model 27s. And ALL those guys had 3 inch Chief Specials for hideout guns.

I always thought the 3 inch J frames balanced better and looked cooler . . .

I currently own an M36 with the 3 inch tapered barrel, an M36 with the 3 inch heavy barrel, an M60 stainless with the 3 inch heavy barrel, and a (now-discontinued)
    M650 3 inch heavy barrel in .22LR, that I use as a "practice gun" for the other two.

Originally, for service ammo I used the S&W Nyclad 125 grn "Chief's Special" load, later made by Federal .

Then I switched to the WW 158 grn Lead SWC HP +P and then to the Federal 129 grn Hydro-Shock HP. I was about to switch to the Speer 135 grn +P HP, but then the PD made a change in policy and mandated the use of Hornady Critical Defense FXT hollowpoints for any secondary or concealment guns, and so I’m using the 110 grain hollowpoints.

I usually carry the guns in a traditional leather IWB holster with a thumb break retainer, and reloads are Bianchi speed strips or HXS speedloaders carried in a Safariland 371 split six speedloader carrier.

I have been considering a 9mm conversion of a J frame revolver. I have a stainless steel J frame cylinder sitting around - is it the case I could have it converted and put it in any similar Smith & Wesson revolver? Or are these cylinders specific to the individual model?

As to pocket holsters, I highly recommend the ones made by Simply Rugged. They are reasonably priced and, well, rugged. More importantly, there is just enough thin leather to break up the outline of the gun without adding a lot of bulk to it. Most of the pocket holsters I have tried are so heavily padded that it is like putting another wallet in your front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rappahannock View Post
    I have been considering a 9mm conversion of a J frame revolver. I have a stainless steel J frame cylinder sitting around - is it the case I could have it converted and put it in any similar Smith & Wesson revolver? Or are these cylinders specific to the individual model?

As to pocket holsters, I highly recommend the ones made by Simply Rugged. They are reasonably priced and, well, rugged. More importantly, there is just enough thin leather to break up the outline of the gun without adding a lot of bulk to it. Most of the pocket holsters I have tried are so heavily padded that it is like putting another wallet in your front pocket.
    To the best of my knowledge all cylinders for the magnum framed J frames are interchangeable.

Smith 442 in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster, either in a pocket or aiwb (the holster material is "grabby" and stays put). Ammo is any 125 +p flavor that is available (re: free).

User Tag List