Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who carries a snubby?

Who carries a snubby?

Due to a bad back I find myself, at times, not able to wear a belt holster and carry my Glock 19 or 26. I usually carry a S&W J frame in a pocket holster loaded with 135gr.+P Speer Gold Dot. I practice alot with these snubbies, especially reloads with speed strips and speed loaders, and feel comfortable with them. Obviously the biggest drawback is on board ammo capacity.

Does anyone else carry a snubby and what loads, holsters, etc. do you prefer?

I usually carry a 642-1, but also rotate a 36-7 and 60-7 on occasion.
    Last edited by cathellsk; 02-25-2011 at 09:47 PM.

I carry a SW 342, loaded with 135gr gold dots. I'll be switching to something different when those are gone. I've got a bit of arthritis in my right thumb and those hot little rounds hurt a lot.

I carry it as a backup gun on duty in a pocket holster and off duty in either a cheap galco IWB holster that I've had for a few years or a blackhawk cqc sportster in the appendix position right side. That position seems to offer the quickest draw. For my reload I carry a speed strip. Used to carry 2 but the dog ate one after I left it empty on the bed stand after practice. I tried the HKS speedloader but the crimson trace grips interfered with it enough that I can't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    Does anyone else carry a snubby and what loads, holsters, etc. do you prefer?
    I have a Ruger LCR and a S&W 642 J-Frame. I carry both in pocket holsters, one a DeSantis Nemesis and the other a no-name leather that came with the gun. As far as ammunition, I have both COR BON DPX 110 gr. +p and Winchester 125 gr. +p JHP, but not because I consider either one to be some kind of "ultimate" round.

I have CT lasers on both.

I have a LCR which I love, no matter if I carry something else the LCR always goes with me as well for a BUG.

Last edited by David; 02-25-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: To ad an image.

I carry a 442 with CT grips and 135gr +P Gold Dots.

It lives in a Kramer pocket holster as a BUG on duty and in cargo shorts in the summer.

In the winter it rides in a Renegade ankle rig.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I carry a S&W 442 with Crimson Trace grips on it loaded with 135 grain +P Gold Dot ammunition every day of my life. If I'm wearing pants, the 442 is usually in the pocket. I carry a Safariland speedloader for a reload because it offers the best reload for the little revolver that I've found.

Generally the 442 acts as a BUG to a hicap 9mm pistol like my P30, but not infrequently it is my primary or only handgun due to being in a non-permissive environment. While no one should kid themselves about the capabilities of a J frame, in all truth they are "enough" gun to handle most of the situations your average citizen is likely to encounter...if you're good enough with it. That being said, if I woke one morning with the absolute conviction that being alive to go to bed that night would require shooting someone in the face, there is no way the 442 would be my first choice...but I rarely find myself facing such peril.

The snag, at least in my experience, is that few people really train to use a J frame properly. When I see them pulled out at the range the accuracy standards seem to be hitting some massive target at three yards somewhere and pronouncing that to be "good enough". They are hard to shoot, but that's all the more reason to hold yourself to a high accuracy standard at the range. If the best you can manage is minute of barn door accuracy on a one way range under no stress, I fail to see how you can expect to intelligently direct bullets when under stress.

I firmly believe that J frames are one of the most versatile and practical carry gun options on the market. There's a reason why the snubnosed revolver format has been around since the old, old days:

It's just critical that people learn to use them properly. CT grips are a godsend to the snub-nosed revolver. If you aren't using them, buy some ASAP.

S&W 642 in an Alessi ankle holster, loaded with 135+ gold dots. It's a backup to my primary and I usually have it, though not everyday.
    J Frames are just so friggin functional, I couldn't imagine not having one available at all times. It's an ideal backup and on those occasions when I can't be visibly armed and can't wear an outer garment, it's my primary and I'm pretty comfortable I can fight my way out with my 642 and a couple of speed strips

I keep an LCR in my car. I'll throw it in my pocket whenever I'm leaving the gym and only wearing PT's. Other than that, I'm strictly a semi-auto guy.

A S&W 64 w/2"bbl- traded in a Kel-Tec PF-9 to get it. I usually carry it in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

Over the years I've carried a few different SW snubbies, but I always end up with a 642 of some kind. I really like it as an ankle gun, the shape and weight make it ideal in this role for me. I've had a couple Ti Jframes, but I found fast follow up shots difficult and couldn't justify the minimal weight difference. I always appendix carry a G26, for some reason I just never really carry my Jframes appendix style though.

User Tag List