Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    So what counts as a stoppage versus a malfunction?
    Have you tried reading the first post of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo M3 View Post
    Have you tried reading the first post of this thread?
    A little help.....

DEFINITIONS

Stoppage: Any failure of the pistol to go through its entire cycle of operation. This could include a failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject. A problem qualifies as a Stoppage if and only if the shooter is capable of fixing the problem without the use of any tools, without disassembling the gun in any way (magazine can be removed), and the pistol is in firing condition in less than 30 seconds. For example, a stovepipe or failure of the slide to go fully into battery would be Stoppages. Added 21-Jan-08: Failure to lock back after the last round in a magazine is fired, even if the shooter believes it was caused by an improper grip, is considered a stoppage.

Malfunction: Any failure of the pistol to go through its entire cycle of operation and which requires the use of tools, disassembly of any part of the pistol, and/or takes more than 30 seconds to resolve, but does not require any parts replacement. For example, a dislodged spring or a front sight that falls off the gun would be Malfunctions.

Breakage: Any failure of the pistol to go through its entire cycle of operation and which requires parts replacement (springs, pins, locking block, anything) to resolve. For example, a broken spring or chipped extractor would be Breakages.

A pistol must fire 2,000 consecutive rounds without any cleaning or maintenance or additional lubrication without any stoppages, malfunctions or breakages to qualify as having met the "2,000 Round Challenge."

Folks already knew what to expect from this weapon, but an additional data point to increase representativeness of the sample size here.

Pistol: Glock 19 Gen3 (stock configuration, Trijicon sights)
    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Ammunition: 115gr WWB, 124gr RUAG, 135gr Federal Personal Defense
    Dates of testing: 4 December 2011 to 29 January 2012
    Total rounds fired: 2230
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Date of manufacture is believed to be early 2009 (for those keeping track of early versus late Gen3 production issues - clearly none with this weapon.)

Walther PPS

Pistol: Walther PPS (BA date stamp, new style slide spring retention tab)
    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Ammunition: 115 PMC, Remington 147 Golden Sabre, 147 Speer Gold Dot
    Dates of testing: 13 Jan 2012 to 6 Feb 2012
    Total rounds fired: 2031
    Stoppages: 1

stoppage was that the slide did not lock back on the last round of an early magazine (first 100 rounds or so). I was riding the slide release. Grip adjustment and did not happen again. Also perhaps interesting to some; I lubricated this pistol in the places specified by the manual with 10w30 mobil1 when I first purchased it. At the end of the test, it was still wet on the inside. Lots of little brass bits stuck everywhere though.
    Last edited by old_trapper; 02-06-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Pistol: Beretta 96D (1997 Manufacture police trade-in)
    Caliber: .40 S&W
    Ammunition: Georgia Arms 165gr "Canned Heat" (IPSC Major)
    Dates of Testing: 12/5/11-2/9/12
    Total Rounds Fired: 2,067
    Stoppages: 1 (round # 950)

Malfunction.

End of test.

m&p9 fs

Gun purchased October 2011. Test completed Feb 2012.

The 2000 round challenge started right out of the box.

Ammo used: 2000 rounds of Remington UMC.

0 Stoppages
    0 Malfunctions

Parts breakage? The paint flaked of from the front site--fixed with a dab of white out. Not sure if i should count this one as one or not.

Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: Competition Handloads; 124 grain MG JHP, 4.1 grains VV N320, 1.140" COAL, Federal SPP and brass.
    Dates of testing: First-- 11/16/11 - 11/20/11; Second-- 1/6/12 - 1/13/12
    Total rounds fired: First-- 2200; Second-- 2100

Comments:
    My current game gun. I intentionally ran the first test without knowing it had been issued on this site, just to see what would happen. The second was through laziness of not maintaining my typical "shoot 800-1100 rounds on Friday and clean that afternoon" schedule; it went through two weeks instead of just the one.

Pistol: Gen 3 Glock 17
    Ammunition: Competition Load: 124 grain MG JHP, 4.2 grains VV N320, 1.160" COAL, Federal SPP and brass.
    Dates of testing: At least 3 times in the middle months of 2011.
    Total rounds fired: 2000-2300 per instance.

Comments:
    My game gun prior to switching to the M&P. These were all the result of being lax in my aforementioned schedule. It put over 30k (closer to 40) rounds through the pistol in total, including at least 10k (combined) of Federal Champion 115 and WWB, plus another 2k of Geco 124 grain. I snapped two after market, extra powered trigger springs; the gun had light strike issues for all of 3 days on reduced power striker springs, until I switched to a lightened and extended striker from Z-TEV (Glockworx) and began handloading Federal primers only. It ran through 20k+ after that without a single issue, aside from the single piece of brass that kissed off of a barricade and landed magically in my chamber (verified by two people watching me shoot the stage). (NOTE-- none of those occurred during these tests; I remember expressly lamenting how clean the gun was when the failures occurred.) I'm sure I came close to the 2k mark several other times throughout the year.

I hope this doesn't violate the thread rule, but I'd like to update as I go, as much for my own record keeping. If it does just delete the post.

Pistol: Glock Model 26 (Gen 4)
    Purchase: Feb 14, 2012, Cases test fired at Smyrna in Dec 2011.
    Ammunition:
    Handload 1: 124 grain M-G CMJ, 4.2 grains Titegroup, 1.135" Target COAL, Tula SPP and mixed range brass.
    Handload 2: 115 grain Precision Delta, 4.5-5.0 grains of Win 231, 1.135 Target COAL, Winchester SPP and mixed range brass
    Handload: grab bag of various extras and old loads I no longer run.

Dates of testing: First-- 2/16/12 - in progress
    Total rounds fired: 170- in progress
    Stoppages: 3

Comments:
    Day 1 serves as a nice reminder of how little I like small pistols. Pistol is brand new out of the box, inspected, added about 5 drops of oil and began.

Stoppage 1: From the grab bag. Failed to fire-went click. Round in chamber, removed, clearly high primer with a strike though lighter than my other Glocks.
    Stoppage 2: From the grab bag. Failed to fire-went click. Round in chamber, removed, clearly high primer with a strike though lighter than my other Glocks.
    Stoppage 3: From Handload 1. Appeared as double feed. Stopped, photographed. Round in chamber fired. After mag removal, the empty casing had to be "banged out" holding slide in left hand, banging back of pistol with right hand. Casing came out fairly easily. Appears to be a slightly bulged casing, perhaps a slight crease from the sizing die.

Name:  26 Malf 4.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  26 Malf 2.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  20.0 KB

Pistol: Radom P-64 (1976)
    Caliber: 9x18mm
    Ammunition: Wolf, Fiochi, Some Russian stuff i can't type
    Dates of testing: Oct 2011 - Feb 2012
    Total rounds fired: ~2200

Thought I would try this on an oldy. No idea how many rounds were through it when i got it. Lubed and cleaned when i purchased it. Only thing i changed was custom mag release lever. No issues at all so far.

Site Supporter
    Pistol: Glock 19 gen 3
    Caliber: 9x19
    Ammunition: 1,430 115gr. Blazer Brass, 581 115 gr. PMC Bronze, 15 127gr. Winchester Ranger +P+
    Dates of Testing: 12/4-2/25
    Total Rounds Fired: 2026
    Stoppages: 3 All stoppages were the slide not locking back on a empty magazine while wearing gloves.

Modifications: G-17 smooth trigger, Glock - connector, Vickers slide stop and magazine catch, and Warren two dot sights.

Comments: The gun started the test with around 9000 rounds through it. Prior to the test beginning, I had a few light primer strikes and decided to re-spring the entire gun. The NY1 trigger spring was also removed at this time.

User Tag List