Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Pistol: Glock G19RTF2
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: 50 Winchester NATO 9mm; 250 USP 115gr 9mm; 1000 WWB 115gr 9mm; 788 PMC 115gr 9mm; 50 Blazer Brass 115gr 9mm
    Dates of testing: 3/22/2011 - 5/20/2011
    Total rounds fired: 2138
    Stoppages: 8 failures to lock back on empty magazine
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Comments:
    The FTLBs all happened in the first half of the test, and they happened less and less as I figured out my grip. Coming from a USP, I was used to resting my strong thumb on the safety... which is right about where the slide release is on a Glock. I've trained myself to rest my strong thumb on top of my weak thumb, and the problem went away, with no recurrence in the last 1200+ rounds of the test.

The gun is completely stock, except that I put Ameriglo sights on it after the first 85 rounds. I bought it new and started shooting it just the way it came out of the box. The grins, I has 'em.

Pistol: HK P30 v2
    Caliber: .40S&W
    Ammunition: Speer Lawman (165 & 180gr.), Speed GDHP 165gr., CCI Blazer Aluminum (165 & 180gr.), CCI Blazer Brass 180gr., Federal EFMJ 165gr., Federal Champion FMJ 165gr., Federal HST 165gr., Winchester WWB 165gr., Winchester Ranger Bonded 180gr.
    Dates of testing: May 9, 2011 - June 2, 2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,120

Stoppages: 1
    Malfunctions: 2
    Breakages: zero

Notes:
    My P30 is stock with factory night sights. 1570rds of the challenge were fired using only two magazines.

I fired a variety of different brands of ammuniton through the challenge but the bulk of the 2120rds. consisted of Blazer Aluminum 180gr. and Speer Lawman 165gr. The lone stoppage was caused by a round of Speer Lawman 165gr. and it was a failure to fire. When I fired I heard a "pop" that sounded like a cap gun, I saw a poof of smoke at my chamber and felt no recoil. I removed the cartridge and found the round intact but the primer was half missing and the bottom of the casing was burnt. My shooting buddy was shooting from the same lot (1k case) of ammo and expereinced a failure to fire (primer dimpled and intact) with his Glock 23. His round fired on a second attempt, my round was not tested again due to the visible issue with the primer. I attribute the stoppage as an ammunition problem.

I had two malfunctions that I attribute to my grip. On two occassions during a 400rd range session (half way through the challenge) I dropped my magazine while firing. Upon evaluation of my grip I believe my support hand activated the magazine release. I have not had an issue since becoming aware that my support hand can activate the release and have adjusted my grip accordingly.

Speer Lawman ammo is dirtier than anything else I fired but the P30 marched on. I'm very pleased.

Pistol: Springfield Armory XDm
    Caliber: .45ACP
    Ammunition: Wolf, Tula Ammo, Winchester White Box, Federal Red Box, Hornady TAP
    Dates of testing: November 9, 2010 - April 27, 2011
    Total rounds fired: 6340
    Stoppages: 0

Notes:
    As expected from an XD, flawless performance. Only cleaned because I was putting a Powder River Precision trigger kit in it. Gun was new out of the box when I started, I only lubed it before taking it to the range for the first time.

Pistol: FN FNX
    Ammunition: 115 grain PMC, 115 grain Speer Lawman, 115 grain American Eagle
    Dates of testing: 5/23-6/21, 2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,200

Notes:
    The FNX was purchased new mid February 2011. The gun had one stove pipe during initial break-in (first 200 rounds); there has been no issue since. I don’t have an exact count but I’m thinking very close to 3500 rounds prior to the test. The guns primary use is as a home defense weapon. Gun was lubed with Tetra grease prior to test.

Pistol: Glock 17 Gen 3 RTF2 (fish gills)
    Ammunition: 115 grain WWB, 124 grain Speer Blazer
    Dates of testing: 2/10 through 6/19/2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,105

Notes:
    Straight out of the box, without cleaning or lube added to factory lube. 90% of the ammo was the 124 Blazer. RTF2 grip surface is just terrific. Vickers mag release added. Improvement from Gen 3 stock but not as good as Gen 4 IMO. Just a good old steady Glock 9mm.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Smith and Wesson M&P 40 L 5"

Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P 40 L 5”
    Caliber: 40S&W
    Ammunition: reloads of 180 LTC SOLO 1000, WWB 165, 165 plated with CLays, 180 plated with Clays
    Dates of testing: 5-May-11? to 9-July-11
    Total rounds fired: 2,020

Stoppages: zero
    Malfunctions: zero
    Breakages: zero

Notes:
    Pistol had 0 rounds through it before the test began other than test rounds from factory. I brought it home cleaned it changed the rear sight to a Warren Tactical Night sight put in a Apex RAM carved up the sear since the L version comes with the standard sear, polished all trigger componets and striker block, put on the grip tape, lubed it all up and that is it.

After the 2,020 rounds reported above, the gun was still relatively clean and still felt smooth, Solo and Clays powders do burn pretty clean with Clays a bit cleaner than Solo 1000.

June 18-July 20 2011
    CZ Shadow (2011 Manufacture)
    Gun was cleaned, lubed and had Competition hammer, taller FO sight for 147gr bullets, stainless guide rod and lighter recoil spring, lighter hammer spring and flush mounted safeties fitted before test. Rear sight needed to be centered on slide as it was full right in the groove (which concerned me if was supposed to be there).
    Gun was and still is extremely tight. Much better fitting of componens than my 2010 Manufacture gun I received in April. In dry fire at the store the reset with the factory hammer was already super short, with the new hammer I don't even use the over travel screw.
    A total of 2483 rounds have been fired to date with no malfunctions or problems. New grips were fitted on the 12th if July (fancy gold ones too).
    Gun will be cleaned and lubed tonight, another 1500 rounds through it I hope before I head to the Canadian Nationals next week. I may or may not clean it before then........
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P Full Size
    Ammunition: 100 rounds Winchester Ranger-T, 155 rounds mixed S&B and PMC 115 gr. FMJ, 50 rounds Remington Golden Saber, 1165 rounds Wolf, 677 rounds reloads.
    Dates of testing: 28 April 2011 to 23 July 2011.
    Total rounds fired: 2,147

Stoppages: 1

Notes: Pistol was purchased new a week before I started this test. I left the gun completely stock, simply wiped it down and lubricated it with TW25B and started the test. My only stoppage was 63 rounds into the test with Wolf ammo. I had one round that had a light charge. When I fired on that round there was noticeably less recoil and noise, and the slide only cycled far enough to reset the sear, not enough to extract the fired case. The bullet did not get stuck in the barrel so I continued that shooting session and had no other issues for the remainder of the test.

Pistol: Lone Wolf Timberwolf
    Ammunition: PMC 115gr FMJ, Fiocchi 158gr FMJ, Ranger 147gr JHP, BVAC 115gr FMJ, Federal 147gr FMJ, SBR 158gr FMJ, BVAC 124gr JHP
    Dates of testing: 7/12/2011 - 7/28/2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,226

The Lone Wolf Timberwolf isn't so much a gun as it's a Glock in Wolf's clothing. It's a frame that's designed to mimic most of the things people have done to their Glocks, like beavertails, grip reductions, and undercutting the trigger guard. The gun I have is a Lone Wolf T-Wolf frame, slide, and barrel filled full of Glock parts and some aftermarket parts like the guide rod/recoil spring set up.

A few things I've noticed with the Timberwolf: fit and lockup on this gun are not as tight as they are on my factory stock Glock 34, consequently the factory 34 is more accurate. The best "accuracy" combo I've gotten was to put my factory Glock slide on the Timberwolf frame with the Lone Wolf barrel; that produced about 2 inch groups at 25 yards with Federal 147 grain FMJ. Interesting note: the factory Glock barrel will not fit in the Lone Wolf slide, but the Lone Wolf barrel will fit the Glock slide. The best group I've been able to pull with the Lone Wolf parts from a rest has been 4 inches at 25 yards with SBR 158gr FMJ.

Pistol: HK P30 V3
    Caliber: 9 mm
    Ammunition: Federal Champion 115g, Winchester White Box 115g, Federal American Eagle 115g, GECO 124gr, Speer Blazer Aluminum 115g, Speer Blazer Brass 115g
    Dates of testing: May 1 - June 1, 2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,000

Notes:
    Most recent range time was outdoors in the rain, dirty and mud using nothing but WWB from Walmart. Not much to say since I didn't have any issues.

User Tag List