Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

@Enel, I just reloaded a few 1000 rounds today using range pickup brass, and found a bunch of those PPU 9mm cases with bulged and protruding primers. Not good...
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-30-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Enel, I just reloaded a few 1000 rounds today using range pickup brass, and found a bunch of those PPU 9mm cases with bulged and protruding primers. Not good...
    i went through a bunch of brass- some exact thing. I would not ever use the PPU.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    @Enel, when I did the 2K challenge with a 9mm Loaded Target a few years ago I was using Metalform mags. I made it through the test just fine, but almost immediately after that several of the magazines started failing to lock the slide back on empty. I have not seen that with Wilson ETM mags.

Enel,
    I found the same thing regarding recoil spring weight with my .38 super. It often malfunctioned with weaker ammo and/or weaker recoil springs. My best function has come with 124gr. bullets at around 1100 to 1200 fps and a #15 Wilson flatwire spring. They make a #13 which I have for weaker ammo but I reload my own so I haven't needed it. Better accuracy and flawless reliability with mid-weight bullets and medium speed powder like VV N340 or Hodgdon CFE Pistol.

2,000 Round Challenge

Pistol: Glock 19 Gen 4
    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Ammunition:124 grain Geco, 124 grain Speer Lawman, 147 grain Speer Lawman, 124 grain Speer Gold Dot, 147 grain Speer Gold Dot
    Dates of testing: January, 2018 to July 22nd, 2018
    Total rounds fired: 2,021
    Stoppages: 3
    Malfunctions: zero
    Breakages: zero

Comments:
    This is my GSSF 2017 Amateur Civilian Prize. I installed an SCD, Pierce grip plug, minus connector, G17 Gen3 trigger bar, Dawson Charger FO front/blacked out rear sights, and a small strip of grip tape on the top of the slide in front of the rear sight. The 3 stoppages were FTFeed from a Magpul 17 rd PMAG. Removing it from rotation has precipitated in continued flawless operation. I have zero qualms with this pistol as far as function.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Last edited by spinmove_; 07-25-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Pistol: Glock 19 gen 2, Ameriglo Spartan NY1/-, G17 smooth face trigger bar
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition:

• Aguila 124
    • American Eagle 147
    • Blazer Brass 124
    • Federal HST 147
    • Geco 124
    • PRVI 124
    • Remington 115
    • S&B 124
    • Speer Lawman 147

Dates of testing: Nov '17 - Aug '18
    Total rounds fired: 2,044
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0
    Magazines: Variety of Glock 19 and 17 round and MagPul 19 and 17 round

Comments: Several years ago when I first decided that I would carry Glock I purchased this pistol used off of Gunbroker. I got a gen 2 because gen 2 seemed to be the bees knees on a forum I frequented. It had an unknown round count but was in such barely used condition that the original Glock copper colored lubricant was still on it. My own round count before starting the 2K challenge is unknown. Prior to taking the challenge it had been through infrequent range sessions, a handful of IDPA practice sessions and matches and a couple of handgun classes, so guessing 1000 rounds. It was my carry pistol until I met P-F and vetted a gen 4. It is now my practice pistol.

Regarding the challenge, there is absolutely nothing to report. It has been predictably and boringly reliable, with not a hint of trouble (I'll take it). I'm going to extend its challenge another 1000 rounds to see what happens.
    Last edited by Francis; 08-12-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelin' misteaks

Site Supporter

HK P30 2K Rounds

Pistol: HK P30 9mm that I purchased used as a V3 (DA/SA) with an unknown shooting history, but pretty much looked new inside and out.

I replaced the original light trigger return spring with a heavy one, installed a light firing pin block spring, an 11-pound hammer spring (Lazy Wolf Guns), and a used LEM kit I had in my parts bin, including a spurred LEM hammer. This pretty much made it into a "V0" as far as I understand. I installed Trijicon HDs, oiled it and started the test.

Ammunition: 124 grain Speer Lawman, 115 grain American Eagle, 115 grain Federal, and 124 grain reloads.
    Dates of testing: 5/25/18 - 8/12/18
    Total rounds fired: 2,001
    Malfunctions: 1

Comments: The single malfunction was a failure of the slide to lock back on an empty magazine on 6/24/18 at around 850 rounds. I got lazy with my grip and was riding the release, so it was user induced. I dry fired it at least 2x the total rounds fired during those dates, so will likely change out the trigger return spring once I clean it. The only non-HK part that I used was the 11-pound hammer spring, and it worked fine with all ammo tested.

Name:  hp012agtR9KmGkDTsVt+lw_thumb_569.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  to3z98AJT6G9wJOTwLDb8w_thumb_56a.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_56b.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  Jo3RvciGSlKpt3Rv1myVyw_thumb_567.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  82.6 KB
    Last edited by DEG; 08-12-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Fixed pics

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by DEG View Post
    Pistol: HK P30 9mm that I purchased used as a V3 (DA/SA) with an unknown shooting history, but pretty much looked new inside and out.

I replaced the original light trigger return spring with a heavy one, installed a light firing pin block spring, an 11-pound hammer spring (Lazy Wolf Guns), and a used LEM kit I had in my parts bin, including a spurred LEM hammer. This pretty much made it into a "V0" as far as I understand. I installed Trijicon HDs, oiled it and started the test.

Ammunition: 124 grain Speer Lawman, 115 grain American Eagle, 115 grain Federal, and 124 grain reloads.
    Dates of testing: 5/25/18 - 8/12/18
    Total rounds fired: 2,001
    Malfunctions: 1

Comments: The single malfunction was a failure of the slide to lock back on an empty magazine on 6/24/18 at around 850 rounds. I got lazy with my grip and was riding the release, so it was user induced. I dry fired it at least 2x the total rounds fired during those dates, so will likely change out the trigger return spring once I clean it. The only non-HK part that I used was the 11-pound hammer spring, and it worked fine with all ammo tested.

Name:  hp012agtR9KmGkDTsVt+lw_thumb_569.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  to3z98AJT6G9wJOTwLDb8w_thumb_56a.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_56b.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  Jo3RvciGSlKpt3Rv1myVyw_thumb_567.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  82.6 KB
    I finally caved and ordered a P30V1 after reading ToddG’s 2010 stress test (which if I am not mistaken is the one actually cited on HK’s product page for the P30 now). Can’t beat that endorsement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

DEG, thanks for posting pictures! I am going to put those Trijicon HDs on my USP full-size 45. I see they are going to look awesome.

Hammertime
    Pistol: Springfield Range Officer Compact

Caliber: 9mm

Ammunition:
    PPU 124 grain NATO
    Federal HST 147 grain
    Winchester Ranger T 124 +P
    Federal American Eagle 147 grain
    S&B 124 grain SB9B
    MEN 9B 124 grain
    Magtech 115 grain fmj
    Wolf 115 grain FMJ mil Spec lacquer
    Barnaul 115 grain white box lacquer
    Wolf 115 grain Poly

Dates of testing: 2017-2018

Total rounds fired: 2094

Stoppages:

First 125 rounds before going back to Springfield Armory:
    3 FTExtract
    2 FTFeed from loading slide lock full mag
    1 FTLB empty mag
    4 Brass To Face

After going to Springfield, rounds 115-2094:
    >20 Fail to Lock Back on Empty (FTLBE) these happened with Metalform 8 & 9 round magazines, Wilson 10 round, 9 round and Checkmate 8 round. They occurred more frequently as the test progressed.

4 light strikes due to firing pin hole being blocked by bits of primer from over pressure PPU NATO ammo. This is 100% bad ammo.

1 eject last live round out top end MEN 124 grain Mecgar 9 round. Sort of a WTF malfunction that never repeated.

>10 FTFeed when loading with slide release, these loaded with a slingshot technique.

>25 fail to completely go into battery when loading first round via slingshot. All went into battery with a tap to the back of the slide. This only happened with the first round from a full magazine.

5X dropped live rounds out bottom of magwell when swapping mags after loading 1 round out of a full 9 round magazine. In other words, I loaded a single round from a full 9 round mag and removed it to top the gun off to a full ten rounds by loading another full 9 rounder. When I pulled the first mag, the second round would eject. Mag issue more than gun issue.

1 FTFeed S&B 124 grain
    1 FTFeed 147 grain HST
    1 Stovepipe 124 grain Ranger T +P

The last three happened in the last 200 rounds.

Malfunctions: front sight hit 15 inches high from factory. Factory replaced it and after visit to SA, it was dead on at 25.

Breakages: front fiber optic fell out in the first 300 rounds. It was replaced and had no problems the rear of the test.

Comments: that is a heck of a lot of malfunctions, and you would think I would hate this gun. However, it was really delightful to shoot.

The vast majority of problems were FTLBEs and failures to go into battery when loading the first round (plus a few magazine weirdnesses). During the actual shooting cycle of fire, extract, eject and load, there were precious few, in fact, only three stoppages and those all happened when the gun was quite dirty and dry at the end of the test.

I am confident this gun will cycle after the first round is loaded until the magazine is empty. It may not lock back.

I am also sure with proper magazine vetting one could find several that work reliably.

Keep this gun clean and lubricated and it will make you happy.

It is too much drama for me. It was fun, but I am selling it off.

User Tag List