Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

• Pistol: SIG 1911 Tactical Operations

Caliber: .45 ACP
    Ammunition: BVAC 230 grain FMJ, Remington 185 grain FMJ, PMC Bronze 230 gr FMJ
    Dates of testing: 15-Mar-11 to 27-Mar-11
    Total rounds fired: 2,027

Stoppages: 1*
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Notes: The sole stoppage occurred when the slide locked open on a magazine that still had a round left in the mag. The magazine used was an aftermarket Chip McCormick 10 round mag. No stoppages of any type were encountered with factory Sig magazines, Wilson Combat magazines, or Chip McCormick 8 round Shooting Star magazines. Prior to the challenge, the 10-round McCormick mags had occasionally experienced this issue, but I was using them for the Speed Kills/Get SOM class so I could have more ammo on the line at a time.

We are diminished
    Pistol: Glock 17 (gen 4)
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: CCI 115gr Blazer FMJ, American Eagle 124gr FMJ, Federal 124gr +p HST
    Dates of testing: 30-Mar-11 through 3-Apr-11
    Total rounds fired: 2,008
    Stoppages: 0

Comments:
    It took four tries to get the pistol in a condition that it could be fired 2,000 times without a parts change. The original extractor that came with the gun caused a stoppage approximately 1% of the time. Two other extractor assembly combinations also resulted in stoppages. Finally, a new-production extractor was placed in the pistol and the gun has run without incident since.
    Last edited by ToddG; 04-04-2011 at 11:47 AM.

1911, Kimber, and a 9mm, oh my

Pistol: Kimber Pro Aegis
    Ammunition: 115 grain PMC, 115 grain Winchester White Box, 115 grain American Eagle, 124 grain Winchester Ranger, 124 grain American Eagle
    Dates of testing: 12/1/10-3/28/11
    Total rounds fired: 2,700
    Modifications: Ed Brown Extended mag release (reduced interior, fitted for over-travel and fully polished), Wolff #4 reduced power mag release spring, Wolff Variable power 14lbs Recoil spring, Wolff XP Firing pin spring, Ed Brown bobtail and custom heal reduction, Cylinder and Slide 4lbs trigger kit.
    Stoppages: 2
    Malfunctions: 2

Comments:
    To credit an article previously written by ToddG, the 1911 can be finicky and requires more careful maintenance however if you are familiar with them they can be rock solid pistols. During this test I had to change the recoil spring once per manufacturer specs. The two stoppages were FTF that were associated with the two malfunctions, all caused by Wilson Combat magazines. the follower was the culprit, allowing the rounds to tilt and stopping the controlled feed from taking place. A call to Wilson corrected the issue and they sent new followers. The Kimber and Colt 9mm magazines ran flawlessly.

The gun after 2700 rounds...

Last edited by MattNRA; 04-06-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added pistol modifications
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Pistol: CZ Shadow
    Ammunition: 147gr TMJ Plated CamPro bullets, mixed brass, Federal SPP 3.3-3.6grs Tightgroup loaded on a Dillon 1050
    Dates of testing: April 7th 2011- April 15 2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,700

Comments:
    Gun is brand new, prior to test I swapped out standard parts for; Factory Competition Hammer, stainless guide rod, reduced power hammer spring, reduced power recoil spring. Also installed flush safeties from my old Shadow. Polished all contact areas to smooth trigger pull. Lubed it up and ran the test. I have now replaced the extractor spring, as I had intended to do that before the test but forgot. The gun has now been cleaned and is, I feel, ready to be my new competition gun.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

USA Made Glock 17

Pistol: Glock 17 (#32 made in the US)
    Ammunition: Reloads with Black Bullet International 130gr bullets, Solo 1000 and CCI SP Primers. Meet USPSA and IDPA power factors
    Dates of testing: 2/23/2011 through 3/30/2011
    Total rounds fired: 2051

Comments: This gun is one of the first made in the US. I purchased it off of a Glock employee and decided to run it for a year or so and see if it works and to get good data in comparison to the 34s and 19s I've used for several years. So far it hasn't had one hiccup since firing brand new (2,510 as of 4/23/11). After purchase, I put Warren Tactical sights, a minus connector and some grip tape on the gun. It's also got a mid-length mag release that was acquired in an unconventional manner. To date, the gun has not been cleaned, wiped down or lubed since initial inspection and replacement of parts. While I normally wipe down and add a little lube at 500rds and detail strip at 2,000, I'm running it until the point of being sluggish/stoppage/malfunction. The gun has seen many practice sessions, bowling pin matches a TLG AFHF class and a master run through the IDPA classifier. So far I'm digging on the gun and will see how it holds up!

Pistol: Sig Sauer P250 fullsize
    Ammunition: 147 grain Federal HST, 147 grain Ranger, 115 gr BVAC JHP, 115 gr S&B FMJ, 115 gr PMC Bronze FMJ, 115 gr BVAC FMJ.
    Dates of testing: 03/29/2011 – 04/26/2011
    Total rounds fired: 2032

Comments:
    Prior to starting the challenge, I had one shooter-induced stoppage where the slide failed to lock to the rear because of a faulty grip. That was in the first 130 rounds, which are not included in the 2,000 round challenge. Over the next 2032 rounds the pistol has experienced zero stoppages of any type. During the challenge, the P250 also fired a 2.4 inch unsupported group at 25 yards using BVAC 115 grain FMJ ammo.

Pistol: Glock Model 17 (Gen 3)
    Ammunition: 124 grain Montana Gold FMJ over 4.1 grains Titegroup, 115 grain Winchester White Box, Federal 124 gr Hydrashok +P, Federal HST 124 gr +P
    Dates of testing: 2/26/2011-4/10/2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,283
    Stoppages: 3 (1 bulged case, 1 high primer, 1 dead primer)

Comments:
    My everyday concealed carry. Stock. Shooting consisted of Tom Givens' Adv. Instructor Workshop, W. Texas Regional IDPA, Saturday club match IDPA, Steel plates, Givens' 2-day Combative Pistol class (filthy blowing red dirt for 2 days). Purchased in July '08 the pistol now has a shade over 12k rounds, no breakages of any kind, ammo or operator related problems only.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    Pistol: Glock Model 17 (Gen 3)
    Ammunition: 124 grain Montana Gold FMJ over 4.1 grains Titegroup, 115 grain Winchester White Box, Federal 124 gr Hydrashok +P, Federal HST 124 gr +P
    Dates of testing: 2/26/2011-4/10/2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,283
    Stoppages: 3 (1 bulged case, 1 high primer, 1 dead primer)

Comments:
    My everyday concealed carry. Stock. Shooting consisted of Tom Givens' Adv. Instructor Workshop, W. Texas Regional IDPA, Saturday club match IDPA, Steel plates, Givens' 2-day Combative Pistol class (filthy blowing red dirt for 2 days). Purchased in July '08 the pistol now has a shade over 12k rounds, no breakages of any kind, ammo or operator related problems only.

Would the stoppages even count seeing how the would not be able to shoot in another gun??
    Oh This is what I expect from a G17!!!!! good job man!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    Givens' 2-day Combative Pistol class (filthy blowing red dirt for 2 days). Purchased in July '08 the pistol now has a shade over 12k rounds, no breakages of any kind, ammo or operator related problems only.
    If your pistol ran after that range day, it will run forever. I never fired my pistol in three days and it was full of nasty red grit. I detail stripped it and was amazed at where the crud had made it to while just sitting in the holster.

Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P 9 with thumb safety
    Ammunition: 115 grain Norosibirsk Russian, 115 grain Winchester White Box, 115 grain Federal, 147 grain Winchester PDX1
    Dates of testing: 4/26/11-5/07/11
    Total rounds fired: 2,006
    Modifications: Apex DCAEK Kit installed by Grant at G&R Tactical

Comments:
    Purchased new from Grant with him installing the Apex DCAEK kit. Started the challenge from new in box. Only thing close to an issue was pistol felt sluggish two times in last 100 rounds with 115 grain Federal but continued to cycle. Sluggishness really felt like under loaded rounds but unsure no issues with other ammo. The challenge was done during normal practice/drills and this pistol is now going to be my primary gun.

Looks pretty clean still, especially considering a good portion with Norosibirsk ammo.

User Tag List