Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    What are those round fan shroud looking things under the pistol ...
    Looks like Surefire battery holders

http://www.surefire.com/batteries/sc...s-carrier.html

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Pistol: M&P 2.0 4.25" with Thumb Safety, serial # NAZ0XXX and Streamlight TLR1 / contoured remote switch attached;
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: Initially, (@275 rds) Speer Gold Dot, Fed HST, Win Ranger, frangible, ball; remainder was American Eagle ball;
    Dates of testing: 11/05-11/15/17
    Total rounds fired: 2083
    Stoppages: None
    Malfunctions: None
    Breakages: None

Attachment 21676
    Impressive run, and with my preferred rail light as a bonus. Very nice datapoint.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

What are those round fan shroud looking things under the pistol and the flashlight looking thing in a steel case upper left corner?
    So, I've been down at Gunsite teaching for the last few weeks (carbine last week, Low Light/Intermediate Pistol this week). The round objects are SureFire CR123 battery holders. The object attached to the upper left of the target frame is a flashlight / flashlight holder designed to force the students to overcome the BadGuys' light through technique and equipment. There will be a seperate post on it in a training thread.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 11-17-2017 at 03:27 AM.

Pistol: HK 45C. 128-045XXX serial number (German-made); BG date code; Light LEM trigger; Heinie sights
    Caliber: 45 ACP
    Ammunition: mix of Magtech, Blazer Brass and S&B
    Dates of testing: 06/17 - 10/17
    Total rounds fired: 2100
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

The gun runs 100%. no issues at all. Its my every day carry in a 5-shot SME holster, with either the 8-round or the 10-round elephant foot mag.

What are those round fan shroud looking things under the pistol and the flashlight looking thing in a steel case upper left corner?
    A seperate thread on it is here:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....556#post675556

Pistol GLOCK 17 Gen4 MOS
    Calibre 9mm
    Ammunition a variety but mainly 124 and 147gr reloads loaded to about a 132-135 pf
    Dates 16Nov 2017- 27 November 2017
    Rounds fired 2455
    Stoppages 2 (both ammo related)
    Malfunctions 0
    Breakages 0

Comments

I don't blame the gun for either stoppage. The ammo was loaded in bulk fast and the QC involved making sure there was a case, primer , powder, and a bullet. Cases were mixed and no gauging or other checks were done on any of the ammo that wasn't to be shot in matches. Stuff that failed the case gauge was thrown back into the practice pile. The two malfunctions involved a case with the bullet really badly seated that deformed the case mouth to a really problematic level. Wouldn't work in any pistol with a vaguely SAAMi spec chamber.

Other one was a case so deformed in the head region it looked like a pregnant guppy.

Neither gun related and only listed for honesty sake.

I had no intention of doing a 2000 round challenge just realised I had reached 1200 odd rounds since my last lubrication so decided to carry on. Pistol had 4-5000 rounds through it at the start of the test
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Hammertime
    Pistol: FrankenGlock G34 See comments.
    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Ammunition: More than ten varieties of 115, 124, 147 grain ammo. Mostly 115 Magtec.
    Dates of testing: 8/17-11/17
    Total rounds fired: 2,005
    Stoppages: 6 See comments
    Malfunctions: zero
    Breakages: zero

Comments: I built this pistol using a G31 .357 Sig lower with 30274 ejector. This lower has been chopped to accept G19 mags. It had a couple thousand rounds on it as a G17 franken lower. The upper slide is made by Valiant Unlimited. I received it in trade and thought it would be a fun project. I built it with standard Glock parts, KKM barrel, minus connector, and Defoor sights.

Stoppages:
    Two short stroke malfunctions using PPU 115 grain ammo when shot by a novice shooter. I think these were limp wristing.
    Two failures to feed with Wolf Poly coat 115 grain ammo and Magpul GL9 magazine. This was clearly a mag/ammo issue. The poly coat was hanging up in the mag.
    One failure to feed with Brow Bear 115 Grain and Magpul GL9 magazine.
    All the above happened in the first 800 rounds. I went 1000 rounds til the next malfunction which was:
    One failure to completely go into battery from slide release Magtech 115 grain. Easily remedied with a tap on the back of the slide. I did not note the magazine brand.

Overall I am really pleased with the build. I set several PRs on the Supertest with this set up. It is reliable and controllable. I don't hold steel ammo and non stock magazines against it. I didn't do a ton of 25 yard accuracy shooting with it, but in the little I did, I don't feel the KKM barrel added anything over stock, at least at my skill level.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 11-28-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: lots of typos

Pistol: Glock 43 w/ TLR-6 and various TTI mag extensions
    Ammunition: Federal 115GR aluminum case, Winchester “forged” 115GR steel case, Speer Gold Dot 124GR.
    Dates of testing: 10/15/2017-12/16/2017
    Total rounds fired: 2,350
    Stoppages: 11

Comments: Ive had this gun for a couple years but have finally had the down-time to get to the range on a consistent schedule , so I figured I’d grab the little guy. Pistol was cleaned/lubed prior to the start of the 2000rd challenge. It currently wears a TLR-6 and 10-8 sights.

All eleven stoppages were within 150rd box of Winchester “USA Forged” 115GR steel case (all failure to extract). A P2000 and a friends P229 also experienced identical stoppages with this ammo.

Somewhat surprising to me, all of my TTI magazine extensions (+1, +2, & +3) worked just fine throughout the testing.

Hammertime
    Pistol: Steyr M9-A1
    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Ammunition: Aguila 115 grain
    Magtech 115 grain
    Wolf 115 grain
    Brown Bear 115 grain
    Silver Bear 115 grain
    Federal American Eagle 147 grain
    115 grain PPU NATO
    124 grain PPU NATO
    S&B 124 grain SB9A
    S&B 124 grain NATO SB9B
    Federal HST 147 grain
    Winchester Ranger T +P 124 grain
    Dates of testing: 8/115-12/17
    Total rounds fired: 2,010
    Stoppages: 9 See comments
    Malfunctions: zero
    Breakages: zero

Comments:: this is a really interesting pistol I picked up years ago and never got around to shooting much. A friend absolutely loves the trapezoid sights, loves shooting it, and really wants it so I put a couple thousand rounds through it to test it before passing it on.

Stoppages: all stoppages were identical in nature. The slide failed to fully go into battery and the trigger would pull with a light striker hit followed by a dead trigger.

Usually it was just barely out of battery. Racking the slide and loading another round cleared every stoppage. Six of the nine occurred with 124 grain PPU and I had this same ammo lock up a previously reliable Walther PPQ. I suspect something is wrong with this lot of ammo but I did have difficulty with some other ammo so maybe it is just a tight chamber or something. Without remedial action , the stoppages did not occur in the last 500 rounds of defensive ammo and S&B ammo. It could be there is simply a break in period with this fairly tightly toleranced pistol.

This gun shoots extremely well and in detail stripping after the test I found it very well built with tight tolerances, beautiful small parts and machining, and a chassis system similar to and pre dating the Sig P320 that seems much higher quality than the Sig version, but not as refined or as easy to remove. I can see why Steyr is suing Sig over this.

Overall it is a pity this gun has not had further development, but Steyr seems uninterested. There is a lot of potential here. The trigger is about the equal of a Walther PPQ and amongst the more excellent striker triggers I have tried.

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  63.2 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  36.5 KB
    Pistol: Glock 26 Gen3 serial FCSxxxUS
    Ammunition: 115 grain Blazer Aluminum, 115 grain Winchester White Box, 115 grain Federal Aluminum, 115 grain Independence Aluminum, 115 grain Barnaul, 147 grain Speer Lawman, 124 grain Speer Gold Dot, 124 grain Federal HST, 147 grain Winchester White Box JHP, 147 grain Federal HST, 147 grain Remington Golden Saber, 115 grain Federal 9BP
    Dates of testing: 7/1/2017-12/27/2017
    Total rounds fired: 2,013
    Stoppages: 6
    Comments:
    Purchased gun used, unknown round count. Minor wear was present on barrel hood, none on the rest of the pistol. Cleaned and lubed (lithium grease on slide rails) the day of purchase, did not fire it until installed SCD and added grip plug before test began. Did not replace any internal parts prior to or during test. Switched from factory sights to Trijicon HD Orange at round 396. Used in a Cecil Burch class in November.

The gun has factory 336 ejector, LCI extractor, springs, etc, and doesn't have a tidy ejection pattern. 11 rounds fired without a magazine resulted in 11 (very hot) fired casings falling through the mag well and brushing past my little finger on their way to the ground. IOW, it completely failed the 1911 extractor test.

I shot most of the rounds in this 2k round test, but several others ran rounds through it as well. From experts to novices, no one had any trouble with it. All 6 stoppages happened when I was shooting it.

Stoppage descriptions:
    #1: misfire @ round ~600 - Barnaul steel case. Round did not fire in two other guns. Same case of Barnaul had 3 other misfires in another gun - that all fired through this G26. Dud round.
    #2: stovepipe @ round ~1190 - Independence Aluminum. Noticeably weak recoil. Round in magazine entered chamber, expended case sat on top of it captured by the rim straight up in the air between barrel hood and breech face. Cleared weapon and checked for lodged bullet. Barrel was clear. Loaded and fired remaining rounds in magazine. Did not buy any more cases of this. Ammunition issue?
    #3: early slide lock @ round ~1225. Purchased a used 33 round Glock factory magazine and wanted to try it in the G26 because it looked ridiculous and made me laugh. 115 grain Independence Aluminum. 4 rounds left in magazine. Never used the magazine again. Ammunition/magazine/thumb?
    #4&5: early slide locks @ round 1749 & 1751: same magazine of 147 grain Federal HST. My right thumb takes full responsibility for both of them. It took a whack from the slide lock lever both times. Corrected grip, functioning returned to normal.
    #6: slide failure to lock on empty @ round 2,013. 115 grain Blazer Aluminum. My thumb was sitting on top of the slide lock lever.

Other ammunition issues:
    Barnaul was cheap, but stinky and dirty. It was not the most accurate out of any of my guns, but the G26 shot it noticeably more accurately than any of them, including a Beretta 92a1 that hates that stuff.
    I was given a box of Golden Saber that I added to this test. In that one 25 round box, I had one round with a quiet report and weak recoil, but the gun did cycle fully and the bullet was not lodged in the barrel. Bullet impact was also out of the group.

I did not expect to like this gun. I like Gen 3 S&W single stacks, Kframes, classic SIGs, and Berettas. I have long been a "Glock hater". But my buddy has a G26 that works, and some other smallish guns I tried didn't, so I traded one of the failures for this cheap used G26, and now I am glad I did.

I like this gun. 6 stoppages in 2,013 rounds is technically a fail of Todd's 2k round test. But 3 were my interface with the gun, 2 were ammunition issues, and only 1 cannot be determined without further testing.

Not bad.
    Last edited by Duelist; 12-29-2017 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Add pics

User Tag List