Page 33 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Hammertime

Beretta PX4 Compact

Pistol: Beretta PX4 Compact
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: All sorts of 115, 124, and 147 grain ammo. At least ten types. What I can recall: PPU 115 gr normal and NATO, S&B 124 gr normal, and NATO, Winchester 124 gr NATO, MEN 124 gr NATO, Brown Bear 115 gr, Wolf WPA 115 gr, Speer Lawman 124 gr, 147 grain, AE 147 gr fmj, Magtech 115 gr, HST 147 gr standard pressure, Ranger T 124 grain +p
    Dates of testing: 7/2017-8/2017
    Total rounds fired: 2,021
    Modifications: Wilson 12lb main spring.
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Notes and Observations:

This is a nice little gun. It proved very reliable in my hands. I had some issues after 1200 rounds with it auto forwarding on reloads. The problem stopped in the last 200 rounds of the test, no idea why. I find it as difficult to shoot as a Glock 26, which is to say it shoots very well, just not as forgiving as a fuller sized pistol. As it sits with the Wilson 12# spring, the trigger is 8lbs DA, 5lbs SA. The trigger feels outstanding, very clean, not gritty. The PX4C is reliable, cheap, accurate, shoots well, and seems durable. What's not to like? The rear sight was placed by the Devil and proved nearly impossible move.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Pistol: Beretta PX4 Compact
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: All sorts of 115, 124, and 147 grain ammo. At least ten types. What I can recall: PPU 115 gr normal and NATO, S&B 124 gr normal, and NATO, Winchester 124 gr NATO, MEN 124 gr NATO, Brown Bear 115 gr, Wolf WPA 115 gr, Speer Lawman 124 gr, 147 grain, AE 147 gr fmj, Magtech 115 gr, HST 147 gr standard pressure, Ranger T 124 grain +p
    Dates of testing: 7/2017-8/2017
    Total rounds fired: 2,021
    Modifications: Wilson 12lb main spring.
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0

Notes and Observations:

This is a nice little gun. It proved very reliable in my hands. I had some issues after 1200 rounds with it auto forwarding on reloads. The problem stopped in the last 200 rounds of the test, no idea why. I find it as difficult to shoot as a Glock 26, which is to say it shoots very well, just not as forgiving as a fuller sized pistol. As it sits with the Wilson 12# spring, the trigger is 8lbs DA, 5lbs SA. The trigger feels outstanding, very clean, not gritty. The PX4C is reliable, cheap, accurate, shoots well, and seems durable. What's not to like? The rear sight was placed by the Devil and proved nearly impossible move.
    I'm amazed at how fast some of you guys can go through 2000 rounds.

Well, the P10C almost made it until it failed to hold open around 1,600 rounds. It's hard to say if it was me riding the slide release or if the mag is just dirty and didn't push hard enough up on the slide stop. I'm currently testing the gun with only the original two mags that came with it, so they're seeing more abuse than my PPQ which had 6 mags for the test. I plan on continuing and just resetting the clock on the 2,000 Round Challenge, without any maintenance in between. We'll see how she does.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSc0rch View Post
    Well, the P10C almost made it until it failed to hold open around 1,600 rounds. It's hard to say if it was me riding the slide release or if the mag is just dirty and didn't push hard enough up on the slide stop. I'm currently testing the gun with only the original two mags that came with it, so they're seeing more abuse than my PPQ which had 6 mags for the test. I plan on continuing and just resetting the clock on the 2,000 Round Challenge, without any maintenance in between. We'll see how she does.
    No need to reset the challenge; just annotate the failure when you finish all 2,000 rounds. Not a big deal!
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    No need to reset the challenge; just annotate the failure when you finish all 2,000 rounds. Not a big deal!
    Yeah, I know. I just want to really push this gun if I plan to start carrying it, and I figure it can probably manage the 2,000 (and then some) Round Challenge.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Pistol: Glock 19 Gen 4; gray frame w/ std. slide finsih.
    Caliber: 9x19 as it says
    Ammunition: Wolf 115gr, Silver Bear 115gr, Blazer Brass 115gr, PMC Bronze 115gr, Winchester RA9T 147gr, S&B/Ruag 124 9mm FMJ, Federal 147gr HST
    Dates of testing: 2/10/2017-8/21/2017
    Total rounds fired: 2979 (First ~979 in my hands involved parts tweakage - pistol was shot with current ignition parts from round 954 to 2979.
    Modifications: Apex FRE, White Sound HRED, Ameriglo BOLD tritium night sights, Gen 3 smooth face trigger bar, FBI length mag release. Judicious polishing of ignition parts with Q tip and polishing compound.
    Stoppages: 3 total; 0 in the 2k interval. All 3 stoppages were FTEs w/ Wolf 115gr
    Malfunctions:0

Notes and Observations:

I want to love this gun but the BTF is driving me nuts. The trigger is smooth as silk and probably the best glock trigger I own; but the BTF is infuriating. It seems to happen mostly with weaker 115gr brass cased ball like Blazer or PMC. As I said in my range log, I am starting to wonder if it isn't the extremely dusty climate of my range combined with the tight tolerance of the Apex part. I may swap the apex FRE out for an OEM extractor as frankly I didnt give it much of a chance in that configuration.

That said either way this gun went 2k rounds in this configuration with no malfunctions, even if it does like to pitch brass at my skull. No BTF with my 147gr carry loads either. I gave it a solid cleaning and will be comfortable carrying it after I run another box or two of HSTs through it. Fed 50 147gr HSTs and 168 147gr Winchester RA9T Ranger Ts through it w/ no issues. I may tinker with it some but I would trust my life to it in its current condition.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-23-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Pistol: Glock 19 Gen 4; gray frame w/ std. slide finsih.

Notes and Observations:

I want to love this gun but the BTF is driving me nuts. The trigger is smooth as silk and probably the best glock trigger I own; but the BTF is infuriating. It seems to happen mostly with weaker 115gr brass cased ball like Blazer or PMC. As I said in my range log, I am starting to wonder if it isn't the extremely dusty climate of my range combined with the tight tolerance of the Apex part. I may swap the apex FRE out for an OEM extractor as frankly I didnt give it much of a chance in that configuration.

That said either way this gun went 2k rounds in this configuration with no malfunctions, even if it does like to pitch brass at my skull. No BTF with my 147gr carry loads either. I gave it a solid cleaning and will be comfortable carrying it after I run another box or two of HSTs through it. Fed 50 147gr HSTs and 168 147gr Winchester RA9T Ranger Ts through it w/ no issues. I may tinker with it some but I would trust my life to it in its current condition.
    Your pistol and 2000 round experience is very very similar to my gray Gen4 G19 that I purchased in early April. I don't think I had any BTF problems 124gr +P Gold Dots, so I'm not concerned about carrying the pistol. I wonder if BTF pistols are more likely to be made around the same time as other BTF pistols or if it's a random distribution with respect to time.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Your pistol and 2000 round experience is very very similar to my gray Gen4 G19 that I purchased in early April. I don't think I had any BTF problems 124gr +P Gold Dots, so I'm not concerned about carrying the pistol. I wonder if BTF pistols are more likely to be made around the same time as other BTF pistols or if it's a random distribution with respect to time.
    What is the first 4 of your SN? Mine are BAAB (9/15) and a good to go black G4G19 BBBX (~Jan 16).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What is the first 4 of your SN? Mine are BAAB (9/15) and a good to go black G4G19 BBBX (~Jan 16).
    My gray pistol (early 2017) is BEKF and black one (early 2014, blue label) is WTE. BTF was pretty rare with the black one until I got to ~3K rounds, but I think I've been shooting cheaper ammo lately too. I don't think we can conclude much from this. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    My gray pistol (early 2017) is BEKF and black one (early 2014, blue label) is WTE. BTF was pretty rare with the black one until I got to ~3K rounds, but I think I've been shooting cheaper ammo lately too. I don't think we can conclude much from this. Oh well.
    I've also had this problem in a 2007 era G3 Glock 19 and a 2008 era G3 Glock 17 so I am not sure what to pin it on either.

User Tag List