Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Pistol: H&K P30 V2
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: 124 grain Federal AE, 115 grain Winchester White Box, Speer 124 grain+P Gold Dot
    Dates of testing: 03/19/11
    Total rounds fired: 115
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Comments:
    Bought new. Broke it out of the case and wiped down the exterior. Shot 100 rounds mixed ammunition plus a magazine full of duty ammunition. Bought a couple of extra magazines from Midway USA. Comp-Tac double magazine carrier, Milt Sparks SS#2 with Blade Tech loops. Waiting on Heinie QWIK sights and additional holsters from Alabama Holster Co.
    Last edited by Chipster; 03-19-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added picture

Ruger SR9 Update: First Stoppage - Round 2619 - Stove-pipe.

I continued with this gun over the weekend, continuing same conditions since I first posted.

I just thought forum members would like to know.

Dann in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Dann-in-Ohio View Post
    Pistol: Ruger SR9
    Ammunition:
    2000 - 115 grain Winchester White Box
    40 - 147 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok
    40 - 124 gr. Supreme Elite™ Bonded PDX1 +P

Dates of testing: February to March, 2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,080

Comments:
    I always told my Ohio CHL students that I never fully trusted a gun until you could run 500 rounds through it continuously in an afternoon without cleaning or a single problem. I have two Ruger SR9's. This one was taken out of the box, brand-new, it was not cleaned - ever. I checked the gun over, checked the bore and then proceeded to shoot 500+ rounds per weekend for four weekends - even in the snow and rain here in Ohio. It operated flawlessly, although it was getting pretty dirty around the muzzle. I shot the Hydra-Shoks and PDX1 rounds as those are what I have used for everyday carry. I only shot 40 of each of those to check for reliability as they are very expensive compared to the 100-round Winchester White Box 115 grain rounds I pick up at Walmart.

Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P Pro 9
    Ammunition: 2171 total rounds of: WWB 115, American Eagle 115, RWS 124, Blazer 115, Black Hills BlueBox 115 and a few misc Winchester PDX1 and Ranger 147 gr
    Dates of testing: March 10th through April 25th, 2010

Stoppages: 3

Notes:
    Stoppage details - one fail to lock back on empty on 4/11 and TWO incidents in final session on 4/25 where the gun cycled and loaded a live round, but FAILED to cock that striker. Simple rack chambered a fresh round and off it went. This occurred with one round each of WWB 115 and one Blazer 115.

These last two stoppages sort of give me pause. I've never experience this before across tens of thousands of rounds through my other striker fired pistols. This happend on or about hitting and exceeding 2K mark. Will have to read up on M&P issues to see if this has been written up. Maybe just getting crudded up? [edit: Didn't take long to find plenty of similiar reports on the "tech difficulties" board on the mp-pistol.com forum. Hmmm. . . interesting. We now know much more about the Pro sears and some others which can exhibit sear bounce in recall and fail to reset.]

I've been a heavy Glock 9mm user for quite a few years and I am shooting every kind of drill at speed with greater precision with this Pro 9 (edit from original – until I put 6K rds through Gen 4’s in 2010). During my first outing with it, I short stroked the reset a couple of times but I've not done this again over the last 1800 rounds.

After much trial and error, I "think" I shoot ever so slightly better with the large grip. I perceive that the recoil is managed slightly better with the large grip also.

This gun would not group better than about 5” at 25 yds with any of a half dozen loads attempted. I’m confident in saying that as I’ve managed 1.5 – 2” from RTF2 G17 and Gen 4 G17.

Pistol: Glock 4th Generation G17 (non-recessed spring box orig unmarked RSA)
    Ammunition: WWB 115, American Eagle 115, Blazer 115, Black Hills (blue) 115, RWS 124, Independence 115, Rem-UMC 115
    Dates of testing: 3/14/2010 – 5/2/2010
    Total rounds fired: 2001 rds (3/22/11 update 7K rds, no stoppages)

Stoppages: 0 (2 deliberate 3 finger grip limp wrist induced)

Notes: Gun was new-unfired at the start of the test. No lube added beyond what came from the factory. There was no prep of locking the slide back for a week before shooting etc etc. Deliberately induced 2 “limp wrist” failures to cycle with 3 finger grip and extreme low grip which I don’t really count on the gun as this additional test has not been included in many or any of the guns on this thread. Approximately 50 rounds were fired strong hand only or weak hand only. (since original test, have seen 1.5” 25 yard group of 5 – rested – with 147 grain Ranger.)

Pistol: Glock 4th Generation G19 (recoil spring 03)
    Ammunition: WWB 115, Federal 115, Blazer 115, Win 124 gr NATO, Hornady 115 jhp+P,
    Dates of testing: 7/18/2010 – 10/1/2010
    Total rounds fired: 2000 rds (3/22/11 update 3K rds no stoppages)

Stoppages: 0 (1 induced limp wrist with 3 finger grip)

Notes: Gun was new-unfired at the start of the test. No lube added beyond what came from the factory. There was no prep of locking the slide back for a week before shooting etc etc. 50 rds of Blazer fired with X300 mounted.
    Deliberately induced 1 “limp wrist” failures to cycle with 3 finger grip and extreme low grip with Blazer 115gr. Same 3 finger grip test with 124 gr NATO load cycled fine.

Pistol: Les Baer Custom Carry 1911
    Ammo: 950 Feral Ammunition 230gr FMJ, 1300 Moly coat LSWC 200gr reloads, 43 Hornady TAP Holowpoint.
    Total: 2293
    Testing dates: Nov 12, 2010 - Dec 2, 2010

Breakage: 0

This gun had about 7000 rounds prior to testing. Average cleaning and maintanance is 1500 - 2000 rounds other than lube. All springs were replaced prior to testing. Pistol was detail stripped and cleaned.

Hk p30 v2 lem

Pistol: H&K P30 V2 LEM
    Ammunition: 115gr home rolled FMJ, 124gr Dynamit Nobel (Geco) FMJ
    Dates of testing: 03/20/11
    Total rounds fired: 400 (estimated, I don't log round counts)
    Stoppages: 3, broken down as follows; 2 stovepipes, 1 failure to lock slide back

Comments: This pistol was purchased NIB on 03/16/11 with 3 mags and factory
    installed Meprolight NS. I field stripped it, removed the absurd amount of factory
    grease from the internals, re-lubed it with a generous dose of wet oil, then re-assembled.

It should also be noted during my first range trip I was experimenting with the different
    sized grip panels and backstraps so the stovepiles could have been user/grip induced. Given
    the fact I was shooting DIY ammo there is also the outside chance some was underpowered vs
    the tight spring on the NIB gun. I was warned beforehand to use hotter ammo during the
    break-in period but was too cheap to burn up my factory loaded ammo unless it appeared it
    was absolutely necessary. I plan to change over to the 124gr factory ammo for the next
    range session and see if the stoppages continue.

I ended up going with the Medium side panels and the Small backstrap.

I will update this post as I get more rounds down range.

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    Average cleaning and maintanance is 1500 - 2000 rounds other than lube.
    So this gun was cleaned and lubed during the 2000-round challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    So this gun was cleaned and lubed during the 2000-round challenge?
    No during the challenge no lube or cleaning. I was saying its normal maintenance is 1500 - 2000 rounds for cleaning. Recoil spring every 3k, other springs every 6k. Sorry for the confusion.

2000 rounds guys. Not 115 or 400 or 1993. 2000 round challenge.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    No during the challenge no lube or cleaning. I was saying its normal maintenance is 1500 - 2000 rounds for cleaning. Recoil spring every 3k, other springs every 6k. Sorry for the confusion.
    Nice!

Folks- please remember that this is the 2000 round challenge. I understand everyone's enthusiasm, but let's please try to keep this on point. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

User Tag List