Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Wow this is an awesome thread. I would love to try this someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Pistol: Gen 3 Glock 37
    Caliber: .45GAP
    Ammunition: S&B, Magtech, American Eagle, Remington, Speer Lawman 230gr FMJ. 185gr JHP in Hydra-Shok, MagTech Guardian Gold, and Speer GDHP flavors. 230gr Federal HST.
    Dates of testing: 11/20/15-4/18/16
    Total rounds fired: 2010
    Stoppages: 2 (1 FTF with 230gr American Eagle FMJ on round #1,589. One failure-to-fire with Remington 230gr FMJ on round #1,712; the round fired on the second time around.)
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Pistol: Sig Sauer P320 full-size
    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Ammunition: Wolf Polyformance, CCI Blazer, Federal RTP, American Eagle, MagTech, Blazer Brass, Fiocchi, Brown Bear, Speer Lawman FMJ. Remington HTP, Hornady Critical Defense Lite, Federal 9BPLE, Federal 147gr HST +P JHP.
    Dates of testing: 3/20/15-8/4/15
    Total rounds fired: 2000
    Stoppages: 4 (1 FTF with Federal 9BPLE on round #978. Three failures-to-fire, all on Wolf Ployformance, on rounds #903, #1,323, and #1,495. In all cases the round fired on the second time around.)
    Last edited by Tamara; 05-31-2016 at 06:33 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Pistol: SIG SP2022
    Caliber: 9mm Para
    Ammunition: Herter's (repackaged S&B), Magtech, Blazer brass, Independence, UMC, WWB, Federal Champion, Fiocchi, Aguila 115 and 124, American Eagle 115 and 124, HST 124 standard pressure. Everything 115 gr unless otherwise noted.
    Dates of testing: 12/29/2015 - 6/8/2016
    Total rounds fired: 2,003
    Stoppages: 0

Bought new. I don't remember if I initially lubed it or not but if I did it was with Breakfree CLP and there isn't a molecule of it left on the gun. Frequent failures to lock back on empty which I do not count as a stoppage as it is simply proof that the slide stop also functions as a slide release. Gun is unmodified save for Warren Tactical F/O sights and is carried in an JMCK "George" AIWB.

Good gun. Gave no sign of slowing down, whereas my metal framed TDA pistols start cycling sluggishly at ~1500 rounds.

That fiocchi 115 had a helluva muzzle blast btw.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Wrong thread.
    Last edited by ssb; 06-09-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Pistol: CZ P-07 (gen 2)
    Caliber: 9mm Para
    Ammunition: 115gr Remington, 115gr Herters, 124 & 147gr Federal HST, 124 & 147gr handloads
    Dates of testing: 6/13/16 - 7/2/16
    Total rounds fired: 2056
    Stoppages: 1 ~ due to a sideways primer on one of my handloads (about round #750)

Pistol was purchased new, factory oil was cleaned off and pistol was lubed with Mobil 1 5w-30. Set screws on both front and rear sights received Blue Loctite. Factory hammer spring and firing pin spring were replaced with CGW HS-18 & 97041 springs. (these guns are sprung for garbage CommBlock ammo).

Approx 1500 dry fires using a snap cap prior to actual shooting.

All shooting done in the hot, sunny Utah desert. 90 - 100 degrees.
    Pistol ran great and the Mobil 1 held up quite well. Rails and barrel hood were still wet, barrel was dry but the finish shows very little wear.

"New" Gen 4 G17.

Pistol was purchased as a used firearm from the dealer who represented it to be "as new in box." Fired casings stated June 2013 as the production date. Pistol appeared to have little/no use and still had factory grease applied.

After cleaning and lubricating, performed an initial function check that day consisting of 100 rounds of 115gr WWB, 100 rounds of Winchester 124gr "NATO," and 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P. During that initial function test, one hard BTF occurred with WWB and several near-misses occurred. Weak ejection was observed with WWB. Ejection was consistent with the NATO and Gold Dots. Made sight calculations at this time.

Before the test:
    - Installed a spare APEX FRE and non-LCI SLB from my parts kit due to the observed BTF described above.
    - Installed 10-8 Performance fiber optics with a .235"/.115" front, .140" rear, red fiber optic and verified POA/POI with them. Note: this resulted in a tip-of-the-front-sight POI past 20yds, and a behind-the-rod POI through 15yds, with both my Gold Dots and most of the cheap FMJ used. I'm pleased with that. 10-8 recommends a .215 height for the G17.
    - Installed a Grip Force Adapter.
    - Thoroughly cleaned the gun, lubricated the connector with TW-25B, and lubricated the gun per the manual's directions with Fireclean.

Test notes:
    - Apart from a 200 round vetting of my carry mags with Gold Dots, Magpul 17-round PMAGs were used exclusively for this test. Part of the goal of this test was to validate the magazines over semi-long term use. The magazines were dropped on gravel and concrete at times, sometimes loaded and sometimes not. I did not conduct thorough recording of the number of drops/etc. because I didn't think that was something I could realistically keep to. I chose instead to simply use the magazines as I ordinarily would. The four magazines used were previously new-in-wrap magazines of the current generation.
    - After initial vetting, I began carrying the gun. I live in the South. It's like six million degrees outside with 300% humidity right now. Due to sweat concerns, I periodically wiped down the exterior of the gun only with a silicone cloth and a little bit of CLP. I took care not to introduce the CLP into the internals of the gun by spraying it onto the cloth prior to wiping the pistol down. The pistol was never field stripped during this time.

Ammunition used:

- 270 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P
    - 500 rounds of Winchester 124gr "NATO"
    - 657 rounds of Winchester "Forged" steel case 115gr FMJ
    - 50 rounds of American Eagle 147gr FMJ
    - 200 rounds of Winchester WWB 115gr FMJ
    - 150 rounds of Independence aluminum case 115gr FMJ
    - 204 124gr Berry's Plated FMJ over 4.1gr of Bullseye (reloads)

Total rounds fired: 2031
    Test dates: 06/19/2016-07/10/2016
    Malfunctions: 0 * **
    Stoppages: 0

* On 07/04/2016, my journal notes the following: "2x BTF, weak ejection observed when (another shooter) was shooting, ammo WWB 115gr." I was personally struck in the head twice by WWB after the APEX FRE and non-LCI SLB were installed. I did notice weak ejection when a buddy was shooting, but that ejection was consistent. The pistol did not fail to go through its complete cycle of operation at any point.
    ** On 07/02/2016, during a local class, about 20 double-feeds and FTF/FTEs were intentionally set up using snap caps. These were not counted against the gun because they were intentionally induced with dummy ammunition.

Observations:
    - There were no malfunctions or stoppages despite the use of the four Magpul mags for approximately 1800 rounds. The magazines fed 70 rounds of Gold Dots without issue. They felt sluggish when loading steel and aluminum cased ammunition as they got dirty but no failures were experienced as a result. I would like to see how the magazines fare when loaded over the long term, but on the surface I see no reason why they would not be reliable enough for carry or defensive use. They fed as much cheap shit as I could feed them without issue.
    - I'm not sure what to make of the BTF with the WWB after the APEX extractor was installed. Because those rounds were fired outdoors and with no barriers on either side of me, I'm sure that the BTF was indeed BTF and not simply fired casings bouncing off a lane divider. I did not observe it with any other ammunition type. I believe the pistol is reliable enough for carry, however, based on the consistency of extraction with the Gold Dots and the NATO ammunition.
    - The trigger was absolute suck out of the box, and probably the worst I've ever felt on a normal-size Glock. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but I'd estimate over 7lbs initially and the break felt like snapping a pencil in half. Regular dry fire, the TW-25B, and 2000 rounds have started to clean the pull up, to where the break feels a little more rolling. It has a dot connector in it. I'll chalk that up to parts variation, but I'm considering a little judicious polishing.
    - The pistol is fairly accurate. It turned in three separate <2" groups when benched at 25yds with the Gold Dots, which is right on the ragged edge of my limits. On 6/19/2016, I was able to turn in aggregate scores of 97-3x, 95-4x, and 96-1x in 10-shot strings on a B8 at 25yds with a 30 second par time using Gold Dots. While it's not amazing as compared to many here, that's some of the most accurate pistol shooting I've ever done off hand. I believe it to be a product of finding a sight combo that really works for me, the fit of the pistol in my hands, and the sight radius. I've previously been a G19 guy but I'm enamored with how the G17 performs in my hands.
    - I observed no significant difference in split times between the G17 and a G19. I did, however, feel more confident taking shots to a 3x5 card at speed.

Pistol: STI Short Block (basically an EDGE)
    Caliber:
    .40loaded long
    Ammunition:
    All Reloads 200 and 180gr Frontier Plated CMJ loaded to 180 PF. Match ammo is case gauged, most practice ammo isn't. Some of the ammo in this test (100 or so rounds) was from my failed the case gauge pile.
    Dates of testing:
    Oct 1-Oct 14 2016
    Total rounds fired:
    Stoppages:
    2 One instance of a round but a mangled case mouth from my case gauge failure pile. This was between round 1300-1500 I wouldn't trust any gun that actually chambered that round. Not holding it against the gun myself. One magazine follower stuck in place and had to be knocked loose. Not the guns fault just a sign that I need to only use Grams followers. This was between round 1800-1900
    2 * though
    Malfunctions:
    Breakages:

Comments:
    I had no intention of doing a 2000 round challenge with this gun. Noticed it was 1200 rounds since it was cleaned and knew I had to do some practice for an upcoming level three so decided to push it. I lubed with Slip EWG and the gun is still slick and well lubed. Last 500 rounds wer shot in a very brief session this afternoon where the gun got hot enough that the gad pedal was unpleasant to touch.

The two * are

The slide does not lock back on empty on this gun due to the design of the thumbrest

I do brush mags when they hit the ground at matches , did not in practice

These rounds where fired in Two level 2 matches

A local match that entails 8x40 round stages

And three practice sessions.

This gun could not get through 200 rounds without a malfuntion until the fitment of an Aftec Extractor. AFtec has made the gun run like an stabbed rat.​
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Meant to clean the above STI but didn't get around to it.

Shot it a club match today. Another 185 rounds with no issue.

Shock Buff is on 2185 rounds as well. Will have a look at the state of it when I get around to cleaning it's. Which has to be this week sometime.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I just shot a couple rds of Trap, 2 rds of Skeet, and a half rd of sporting clays. I think my Benelli Supersport is at about 2000 rds now without cleaning or lubing.

Don't know if that counts in anyway, but I couldn't resist. :-)

User Tag List