Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: BVAC 1,000rd bulk pack 115gr, BVAC Xtreme Defense 124gr JHP (variety of bullets used), Federal Champion 115gr, and Atlanta Arms & Ammo 115gr JHP Match (Hornandy XTP)
    Dates of testing: 01/11/2012-04/12/2012
    Total rounds fired: 2,523 round
    Stoppages: One failure to fire with BVAC Extreme Defense, wasn't able to recover the round (TRB'd during a match) so not sure what caused it.
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Internal Modifications: Apex D/C AEK, Apex Competition Striker Spring, and an Apex RAM.

Comments: Gun had 1,300 rounds fired through it before starting with no issues. It was only cleaned because it was last shot in Florida with it's very fine sand, so I decided to clean the gun, and magazines before today's match.

Pistol: Gen 4 Glock 17 (Blue Label if that matters)
    Ammunition: 124 Gr Blazer TMJ CF, 124 Gr Aguila FMJ
    Dates of testing: 5/4-5/14 2012
    Total rounds fired: 2,485
    Stoppages: 1 (Bad primer on Blazer TMJ)

Comments:
    Bought new from Glock LE Dealer on May 2nd. Fired 100 rounds at local range, took it to Rogers, and one more local range trip. Replaced sites and installed Vickers slide release on day of purchase, otherwise stock. Single malfunction was a FTF which occurred during WHO stage of test 6 at Rogers. Recovered round had a good primer strike but had not ignited.

Site Supporter
    Pistol: Springfield Armory Loaded Target
    Ammunition: Federal 115gr fmj, Federal Champion 115gr fmj, PMC 115gr fmj
    Dates of testing: 2/18-5/19 2012
    Total rounds fired: 2,070
    Stoppages: 0

Modifications:

Removed ILS main spring housing, replaced with S&A combination mag well/MHS
    Installed 12lb recoil spring, 24lb main spring
    VZ grip panels

Comments:

Before starting, I cleaned the gun and lubed it with SlipStream oil. No additional cleaning or lube was done during the test.

The 9-round Metalform magazines shipped with the gun work fine. I bought a few Wilson Combat 10-round mags and these work for the most part but occasionally the first round fails to feed. I also purchased some Metalform 10-round mags which work very well. I used Metalform magazines throughout the test.

Pistol: STI Spartan V
    Ammunition: Federal 115 grain FMJ, WWB 115 grain FMJ, Remington 115 grain +P JHP, WPA 115 grain FMJ (steel cased)
    Dates of testing: April 10, 2012 to May 20, 2012
    Total rounds fired: 2250
    Stoppages: 2

Modifications:
    Removed the full length guide rod, and replaced it will a GI short rod, an a GI plug, before the gun ever fired one round!

Comments:
    After swapping out the parts listed above, I lubed it up with CWP and some red grease, then began, "the test."

In the first 500 rounds, I had to failures to go into battery, using the metal form magazine (OEM) and the Remington 115 grain JHP's. I used five, TRIPP Cobra 9mm magazines for the rest of the time, and they worked 100% They are just slightly longer than the OEM (flush) fitting mag, but not so obtrusive that they couldn't be used for CCW. I was really apprehensive about the FO front sight that came on the gun, but after putting mag after mag through the gun on steel targets, I'm almost a believer. This is REALLY a fun gun to shoot! Weighing some 39 ounces, even with hot ammo, it handled it well!
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 05-21-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: clarification

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Comments:
    After swapping out the parts listed above, I lubed it up with CWP and some red grease.
    Then the gun didn't go through the 2,000 Round Challenge. I'd say that changing the recoil mechanism part way through the test would also probably be considered a disqualification.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Then the gun didn't go through the 2,000 Round Challenge. I'd say that changing the recoil mechanism part way through the test would also probably be considered a disqualification.
    I should've worded that better. I never fired a round before switching out the parts. I just don't like the FLGR system, so I ditched it outright, from the outset. Does that still disqualify it?
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 05-21-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: addition

We are diminished
    If you didn't change any parts or add any lube during the actual firing of the 2k rounds, then absolutely it's within the test and I apologize for the misunderstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If you didn't change any parts or add any lube during the actual firing of the 2k rounds, then absolutely it's within the test and I apologize for the misunderstanding!
    Thank you Todd. Sorry...I'll be more concise next time! I have a S&W SHIELD that is just about through the test I'll be posting soon, too.

I never thought I'd write this post.

Pistol: EAA Witness Elite Stock II
    Caliber: .38 Super
    Ammunition: Winchester 130 grain FMJ, PMC 130 grain FMJ, DC Ammo 115 grain match JHP, Atlanta Arms 115 grain match JHP
    Dates of testing: 05/14/2012 - 05/29/2012
    Total rounds fired: 2500
    Stoppages: 0

Comments:
    After shooting the gun in a USPSA match on 5/13, I cleaned, lubricated, and re-assembled the Witness, starting the test on 5/14. During that time it had numerous range sessions indoors at West Coast Armory Indoor Range, on the practice range at the Bianchi Cup, and of course firing the Bianchi Cup. I never even meant for it to go through the 2000 round challenge, I was planning on lubricating it during the Cup and I just plain old forgot. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well this gun's performed, and its performance caused to re-evaluate some of my opinions about the Tanfoglio pistols.

Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P Full Size
    Ammunition: 124gr Aguila
    Dates of Testing: 4/17/12 - 6/16/12
    Total Rounds Fired: 2100
    Stoppages: 6

Comments: Stoppage count looks unusually high, but isn't without explanation. 5 of the stoppages were 100% user-induced failures to lock back on empty; they were all caused by riding the slide stop when I was fidding with grip positioning and backstrap sizes. While reported as stoppages, I don't hold that against the gun whatsoever.

The final stoppage was a round that did not ignite. I reset the weapon and attempted to fire it 3-4 more times with no success. The primer had a deep striker hit on it, but I didn't have convenient access to another 9mm gun to try it in, so it counts as a stoppage per the rules of the challenge. This happened at roughly the 1600 round mark; there were no further failures in the remaining 500 rounds that went through the gun.

EDIT:

Some photos of the gun post test: http://imgur.com/23GDQ,0NG0f,CNaUu,pm9wu,NrFPD,uYoJz

I think this one is my favorite:

Just because the silver trigger bar is nearly indistinguishable from the polymer frame.
    Last edited by jslaker; 06-16-2012 at 11:07 PM.

User Tag List