Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Site Supporter
    Forgot a couple of pics: a magazine full (19 rounds) of Geco ball at 6 yard and another at 25 yards to finish up the test.

Name:  587E0740-10E9-4539-AB28-8E26A2828E90.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  28.9 KB
    Name:  B6ACA1C0-EE7E-460A-9CDF-B4BB46B393C4.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  28.2 KB

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Glock 30SF

I just finished 2000 rounds through my Glock 30 SF 45 ACP.

500 rounds of 230 ball Prime Ammo.
    500 rounds of 230 ball Blazer brass.
    500 rounds of 230 HP LAX Ammo.
    500 rounds of 230 ball military surplus.

Stoppage: 0
    Malfunction: 0
    Breakage: 0

I do have one caveat, at about 1600 rounds, my son accidentally wiped the frame, slide, and barrel while we were cleaning some other pistols. We did not add any lubrication. I will add some more details later.

Name:  IMG_7277.jpg
Views: 2287
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7273.jpg
Views: 2302
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7271.jpg
Views: 2280
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7270.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7241.jpg
Views: 2295
Size:  66.4 KB

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Just a quick follow up to my post as I am home from the desert and on my computer. In terms of the ammo, the Prime shot the best, was the cleanest, and ejected in the most predictable pattern. Next up was the GI Ball and the LAX reloads. They both shot well and were clean. The Blazer brass was the worst. It seemed to be the dirtiest, ejection was erratic, but 100%, and accuracy was just so/so. If I were buying cheap to stack deep, I would just continue with the LAX ammo.

Like the Scoutish rifle thread in the rifle form, I got this pistol to be legal in all of the areas where I travel, camp, and hunt in the west. I also wanted a gun that I could CCW and that had enough power for the animals I might encounter. This is a tall order and I still have a couple of back up options. I wanted the gun to be simple, easy to maintain, reliable, and accurate. I looked hard at the HK USP's, but the simplicity of the Glock won out. Last night I was able to completely disassemble it for a deep cleaning in less than two minutes. I like to carry the LoneWolf Spyderco knife with the disassembly tool in the handle, so I am pretty much always good to go. I have also used a nail from a fence post in past. I generally travel around AZ, CA, UT, WY, CO, and MT. In CA I am limited to 10 rounds and that is what initially drew me towards the 30SF. For the vast majority of those places this pistol works great. I will now work on loading up some Lehigh Defense Xtreme penetrators for the areas with larger critters and keep my big bore handguns around as well. No solution is perfect, but this one is working out great so far.

Sorry for the rambling post. Wishing a good day to all.

Matt

Pistol: Beretta/Langdon Tactical Elite 92G 'Carry Bevel'
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: 1462 American Eagle 147 grain FMJ, 500 American Eagle 115 grain FMJ, 103 Federal 147 grain HST JHP.
    Dates of testing: 12/21/19 - 2/1/20
    Total rounds fired: 2065
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Comments: I recently completed a 2,000 Round Challenge with my Langdon Tactical Elite 92G 'Carry Bevel'. I initially had some light strikes with this pistol when using a 13# hammer spring, so I moved to a 14# spring prior to the start of this test. The pistol was liberally lubricated with Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. Upon field stripping the pistol at the end of the test, I found the slide rails were dry but lube was still visible along the locking block.

Generally, I would not recommend going 2000 rounds without cleaning in an all-metal pistol like the 92, but I wanted to vet this pistol after the initial problems with the lighter power spring.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  101.0 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Pistol: CZ Shadow 2 Orange
    Ammunition: Fiocchi 115gr, Magtech 115gr FMJ, Federal Syntech Training Match 147gr, Federal 147 grain HST JHP, Speer Gold Dot 124gr, Federal Syntech Action Pistol 150gr
    Dates of testing: August 2019 - January 2020
    Total rounds fired: 2160

Bought it new last June & it has very quickly become my favorite handgun to shoot. The slide felt a bit gritty & like it was slowing down slightly during the last 200 rounds or so, but there hasn't been any real issues with the gun so far.

Name:  LPST2cb.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  89.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Pistol: Glock 19 gen 2, Ameriglo Spartan NY1/-, G17 smooth face trigger bar
    Ammunition:

• Aguila 124
    • American Eagle 147
    • Blazer Brass 124
    • Federal HST 147
    • Geco 124
    • PRVI 124
    • Remington 115
    • S&B 124
    • Speer Lawman 147

Dates of testing: Nov '17 - Aug '18
    Total rounds fired: 2,044
    Magazines: Variety of Glock 19 and 17 round and MagPul 19 and 17 round

Comments: Several years ago when I first decided that I would carry Glock I purchased this pistol used off of Gunbroker. I got a gen 2 because gen 2 seemed to be the bees knees on a forum I frequented. It had an unknown round count but was in such barely used condition that the original Glock copper colored lubricant was still on it. My own round count before starting the 2K challenge is unknown. Prior to taking the challenge it had been through infrequent range sessions, a handful of IDPA practice sessions and matches and a couple of handgun classes, so guessing 1000 rounds. It was my carry pistol until I met P-F and vetted a gen 4. It is now my practice pistol.

Regarding the challenge, there is absolutely nothing to report. It has been predictably and boringly reliable, with not a hint of trouble (I'll take it). I'm going to extend its challenge another 1000 rounds to see what happens.

Had my first stoppage today since putting this gun in the 2000k challenge - a stovepipe on round 2270 using PRVI 124. It's had no live fire for 8 months and only infrequent dry fire during that time.

2,000 Round Challenge

Pistol: CZ P-07, CGW Prograde Kit, 15# flat wire recoil spring, 13# hammer spring
    Ammunition: 125gr Blue Bullets, 3.9gr VV N320, range pickup brass, CCI primers; Fed HST 147gr.
    Dates of testing: 12/8/19 - 1/18/20
    Total rounds fired: 2,020

Comments:
    I wanted to test this gun with a newly installed CGW Prograde kit and a 13# hammer spring. (I typically run #15 hammer springs in these guns). I was very happy with the results of this test. The gun was quite dirty, and the slide felt gritty, but the action remained smooth and ejection was very consistent. I shot a variety of drills, including WHO and SHO. I finished the 2000 round challenge with 16 rounds of Fed HST 147, my standard carry ammo. (Note: I now have 4450 rounds total through this gun, without any malfunctions.)

My conclusion is that the 13# hammer spring is acceptable for defensive use. Here is a comparison of the trigger pull weights:
    15# Hammer spring, 0.018” sear spring
    DA: 8.5 (stock weight 13.2 lbs)
    SA: 3.25 lbs (stock weight 3.3 - 5.5lbs)

13# Hammer spring, 0.018” sear spring
    DA: 6.75 (stock weight 13.2 lbs)

[Dirty gun pictures below]

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-18-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Interesting results with the 13# hammer spirng. I have always run 15# in P07 and P09. May give the 13 a try. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Pistol: CZ P-07, CGW Prograde Kit, 15# flat wire recoil spring, 13# hammer spring
    Ammunition: 125gr Blue Bullets, 3.9gr VV N320, range pickup brass, CCI primers; Fed HST 147gr.
    Dates of testing: 12/8/19 - 1/18/20
    Total rounds fired: 2,020

Comments:
    I wanted to test this gun with a newly installed CGW Prograde kit and a 13# hammer spring. (I typically run #15 hammer springs in these guns). I was very happy with the results of this test. The gun was quite dirty, and the slide felt gritty, but the action remained smooth and ejection was very consistent. I shot a variety of drills, including WHO and SHO. I finished the 2000 round challenge with 16 rounds of Fed HST 147, my standard carry ammo. (Note: I now have 4450 rounds total through this gun, without any malfunctions.)

My conclusion is that the 13# hammer spring is acceptable for defensive use. Here is a comparison of the trigger pull weights:
    15# Hammer spring, 0.018” sear spring
    DA: 8.5 (stock weight 13.2 lbs)

13# Hammer spring, 0.018” sear spring
    DA: 6.75 (stock weight 13.2 lbs)

[Dirty gun pictures below]

Hammertime
    Pistol: Glock G44

Caliber: .22

Ammunition:

700 CCI Minimag 40 grain HV plated round nose.
    615 Aguila Super Extra 40 grain HV plated round nose
    226 Remington Golden Bullet
    Fiocchi 40 grain SV LRN
    Winchester Match 40 grain SV T22 LRN
    Federal Match 40 grain SV LRN
    Armscor 40 grain SV LRN
    CCI Velocitor 40 grain plated HP 1435 FPS
    CCI Stinger 32 grain plated HP 1640 FPS

Dates of testing: 2/2020

Total rounds fired: 2000

Stoppages:
    1 Stovepipe

4 FTExtract partial extraction. All weak rounds. All Remington Golden Bullet.
    2 light strikes Aguila
    1 FTLBE Armscor

I can’t say much bad about this gun. I consider it one of the best firearm purchases I have ever made. It has had zero stoppages of any kind in the final 1000 rounds of this test. It’s a keeper.

I installed a .205” tall Dawson fiber up front. With that and the rear clicked up two clicks from full low it is tip of front sight at 25 yards and drive the dot at 5 yards with Minimags.

The lack of recoil and ability to shoot a lot of round in a session is allowing me to see subtleties in my technique that are usually masked by recoil. I think it it making me a better shooter. I wish I had 50 mags for it.

I think the reliability has been stellar and it way exceeded my expectations in this regard.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Pistol: Glock G44

Caliber: .22

Ammunition:

700 CCI Minimag 40 grain HV plated round nose.
    615 Aguila Super Extra 40 grain HV plated round nose
    226 Remington Golden Bullet
    Fiocchi 40 grain SV LRN
    Winchester Match 40 grain SV T22 LRN
    Federal Match 40 grain SV LRN
    Armscor 40 grain SV LRN
    CCI Velocitor 40 grain plated HP 1435 FPS
    CCI Stinger 32 grain plated HP 1640 FPS

Dates of testing: 2/2020

Total rounds fired: 2000

Stoppages:
    1 Stovepipe

4 FTExtract partial extraction. All weak rounds. All Remington Golden Bullet.
    2 light strikes Aguila
    1 FTLBE Armscor

I can’t say much bad about this gun. I consider it one of the best firearm purchases I have ever made. It has had zero stoppages of any kind in the final 1000 rounds of this test. It’s a keeper.

I installed a .205” tall Dawson fiber up front. With that and the rear clicked up two clicks from full low it is tip of front sight at 25 yards and drive the dot at 5 yards with Minimags.

The lack of recoil and ability to shoot a lot of round in a session is allowing me to see subtleties in my technique that are usually masked by recoil. I think it it making me a better shooter. I wish I had 50 mags for it.

I think the reliability has been stellar and it way exceeded my expectations in this regard.
    You shot 1,000 straight rounds, in a .22LR, without a stoppage?!

Welp. That's $375 out of my pocket. Especially since I just re-added a G19.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List