Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

A few pictures:

In cleaner times with it's brother:

2000 Round Challenge

Pistol: Colt Government Model, bought new fall of 2012
    Caliber: .38 Super Auto
    Ammunition used: Fiocchi, Armscor, Geco, Sig Sauer, Remington, Handloads.
    Dates of testing: 8/19/16 to 12/12/16
    Total Rounds Fired: 2005
    Stoppages: 6, failure to go into battery
    Malfunctions: Zero
    Breakages: Zero

Comments:
    All stoppages traced back to a combination of Checkmate 10 round magazines and Armscor ammunition. The Checkmate 10 rounders will not seat when fully loaded with the slide in battery anyway so they really are 9 round magazines in practical use. When used with the Colt, MecGar, Wilson and Tripp magazines the Armscor ammunition is fully functional but the least accurate in my pistol.

The pistol was lubed with Enos Slide Glide #3 [thickest stuff] and Mobil 1 to start. The modifications I've made to this pistol:
    Sights: Dawson red FO front, 10-8 NM rear [the one that fits in the stock dovetail]. Dawson “IDPA' length extended mag release, Wilson Combat 15# flat-wire recoil spring, short guide rod. Modest beveling of sharp Colt edges, bob hammer spur, adjust let out of grip safety and polishing of feed ramp. Cerocote satin black finish.

Nowhere on the pistol does the word “Operator” or “Tactical” appear, it's just a regular old Colt 1911 that just keeps going. I have decided not to thoroughly clean the pistol after this test, just field strip, inspect, reapply lube and keep going. I would trust it for carry.

The environmental conditions encountered during the test ranged from very warm, dry and dusty to cold, wet. I did not try to shield the pistol from the talcum like dust on the range. In fact, I deliberately shot the pistol prone very close to the dust to see what would happen from the kicked up dust. Nothing, the dust stuck to the oily, greasy bits but no issues. The test concluded in very cold weather with a wind chill below 32 deg. No issues with the Enos SG #3 which is rather thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    What type of lube did you use during the test?
    Weapon Shield, they make synthetic oil, grease and cleaner and this stuff is so underrated.
    EAA SAR k2p 9mm Taurus pt911 g2 9mm
    Ruger LCP 380 Walther PPS 9mm
    Beretta px4 storm 9mm Sig Sauer P250 9mm full size
    Sig Mosquito S&W Bodyguard 380

Hammertime
    Pistol: Glock 42

Caliber: .380 Auto

Ammunition: 95 grain Geco, 94 grain Silver Bear, 95 grain Winchester White Box, 94 grain PPU, Hornady Critical Defense FTX, Hornady Custom XTP, Federal Hydrashock, Buffalo Bore standard pressure 90 grain hardcast, Winchester Silvertips, Winchester SXZ, Corbon JHP (two different types.)

Dates of testing: 12/26/16-1/19/16
    Total rounds fired: 2,000

Stoppages: 2 bad rounds of ammo, one squib that failed to cycle slide and one mis pressed primer that ignited but was sideways in primer pocket and did not ignite powder. Estimated 150, all failure to lock back on empty mag while firing two handed. All 100% grip related.

Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Comments:
    I use a G42 as a BUG and lightweight gun to carry during work outs. I wanted to use the 2000 round challenge to get more familiar with it. This G42 was bought specifically as a trainer. I installed Defoor sights, greased the rails and started shooting it out of the box. I am impressed with this small pistol. At the end of test, the slide isn't the least bit sticky and it could go much further.

Two handed grip with a dominant right hand can cause pressure on the slide lock and prevent the slide locking back on empty. This never happened with one handed shooting and happened less throughout the challenge as I learned to adjust my grip.

The gun is generally delightful to shoot.

2000 round test.

Pistol:Beretta PX4 Full Size
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition Used: Winchester 115 FMJ, Super Vel 147 Hush Puppy, CCI 124 FMJ, Winchester 115 Win Clean.
    Dates of Testing: January 25th to February 5th, 2017
    Total Rounds Fired: 2040
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfuntions: 0

Comments: This is my jump into giving a full-size PX4 a run. This gun has the stealth levers installed, the frame has been stippled, trigger job done with WC #12 hammer spring, and Ameriglo Sights installed. The full test was done with Streamlight TLR-1 mounted to the gun. Gun was lubed with Lucus gun oil after the trigger job was done and that was all.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 2084
Size:  56.7 KB
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

H&K VP9
    9x19mm
    Ammunition: Name it, this pistol has been used in a great many classes and have just about every type through it, and steel casing
    Started 9-12-15 to 2-13-17
    Total rounds fired- 2,200

Stoppage: zero
    Malfunctions: zero even with new shooter's not having great grip
    Breakages: Zero

Note: This pistol was NIB, cleaned and lubricated, then took to shoot, just so happen taught a class that weekend, and was loaned. I decided to shoot it and use it without any cleaning or added lubrication. It has run flawlessly. I always known H&K was superb, but this really impressed me.

Well, after lurking here for some time, I decided to go nuts and blow most of my 9mm ammo I've saved up, and put one of my guns through this.

Tanfoglio "Mossad" T/A 90. Surplus import from Irsael, of course. Unknown number of rounds through it before I got it. I replaced the recoil spring as it had seen better days, cleaned the spider eggs out of the magazine that came with it, lubed it with BreakFree CLP, as I have used in all my guns for the almost 40 years I've been shooting. Shot about 200 rounds through it with no problems, cleaned and started the test 12/15, ended 2/13/17. 1000 rounds were fired over the last week or so.
    Ammunition: All kinds, including Georgia Arms reman, WWB, Perfecta, S&B, Blazer Brass, and even some old Nyclad stuff that's 30 years old. All 115gr.
    Total rounds fired: 2100

Stoppages: Six, all with the Ga Arms ammo. Several (3) were very weak and the slide didn't appear to retract all the way causing problems. One was just a dead round. Primer was punched hard, but didn't fire, no powder inside the case. I still have 500 rounds of it, but I won't buy any more of it.
    Malfunctions: Zero.
    Breakage: None.

Near the end, I really thought it would just stop due to all the crud all over everything. The slide was running pretty slow at the end, there were several delays going into battery the last 100 rounds or so. The trigger was very hard to pull towards the end too. I paid something like $350 for this gun, and it's been a total winner from day one. I like it so much, I bought another fullsized one, and a compact one too.

I don't have any pics of the cruddy gun, but here are the pics from the auction that I bought it on from 2011.

Name:  qp0yEu.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  54.7 KB
    Name:  YscgzJ.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  56.0 KB
    Last edited by Hemiram; 02-14-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Long time lurker

Pistol: FrankenBeretta 92FS
    Ammunition: Blazer AL/Brass, PMC Bronze, Fed Champion AL/Brass, Tula, WWB, Win 9mm NATO, and Speer Lawman for FMJ. Fed Hydrashok, Win Silvertip, Speer Gold Dot, and Hornaday Critical Defense for JHP
    Dates of testing: 5/16 - 2/17
    Total rounds fired: 2,075
    Stoppages: 2 (Tula dud rounds)

Comments: Bought as a well used ex-LE Beretta 92G a few years ago. Swapped G slide for FS slide, spring rehab, added D spring, E2 hammer, and Wolff TCU. Probably put 3K through it before I started tracking rounds. Beretta was cleaned with CLP, and lubed with EWG before starting the challenge. Only issue was a couple of duds of Tula 9mm in the 1700 round range. Wouldn't work in another 92FS as well.

Vending Machine Operator
    That's an impressive variety of ammo. The 92FS is always impressive with ammo adaptability.

As an aside, they seem to have extended that flexibility to their PX4 line, in my 9 years of owning it I must have fed my PX4 every type of .40 S&W ammo in existence with nary a problem.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Hammertime
    Pistol: Glock 19 Gen 4.

Ammunition: Many types. Primarily PPU 115 grain.

Dates of testing: 12/5/16-2/24/16
    Total rounds fired: 2,055
    Stoppages: 1 fail to load final round from magazine from slidelock. Problem traced to very old 1990s era "LE only" mag with weak spring and old follower design.

This gun will stovepipe or eject rounds through the magwell every third round or so if fired with no magazine in gun. I am not counting those as stoppages as the gun is designed to be fired with the magazine in place.

Comments:

This is a mismatched lower and upper that was having failures to eject and brass to face issues. The 336 ejector was swapped for the 3074 ejector just prior to the start of the test. I am confident in the pistol at this point and would carry it without hesitation.

User Tag List