Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Agencies dropping Stacatto?

Agencies dropping Stacatto?

I’ve seen some posting about some agencies dropping Stacatto due to a drop failure. Anyone heard anything about this? I’m kind of curious as I am currently vetting a C2 for carry.

Hearing the same thing from some USMS SOG guys.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Depmur View Post
    dropping Stacatto due to a drop failure.
    So…not dropping the Stacatto.

Can you elaborate on the drop failure? Are they firing when dropped?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Depmur View Post
    I’ve seen some posting about some agencies dropping Stacatto due to a drop failure. Anyone heard anything about this? I’m kind of curious as I am currently vetting a C2 for carry.
    An agency in Colorado which was evaluating Stacattos for duty had a drop test failure.

What the parameters of their drop test were is not clear.

Based on that the USMS has “grounded” their Stacattos pending review and or an answer from Stacatto. There may be done internal agency politics at work here too.

Any standard 1911 /2011 (I.e. series 70 type) pistol will go off if you drop it into a hard surface from a sufficient height at the right angle.

The same is true of the Springfield PROs the FBI, DEA, and USMS previously authorized.

The design is over a century old and has passed multiple (appropriate) drop tests before. It’s not some great revelation.

This can be mitigated with lighter (titanium) firing pins and extra power firing pin springs but if it’s a deal breaker get a series 80 type gun.

PS-

Anyone carrying a standard 1911 /2011 should be changing the firing pin when the recoil spring is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Anyone carrying a standard 1911 /2011 should be changing the firing pin when the recoil spring is changed.
    You meant firing pin spring, correct?

Site Supporter
    This is why I will not carry or use a 1911 sans FPS. They are not drop safe. Some are less problematic than others, but none are truly drop safe.

It can’t be that hard to put a quality FPS into a 1911 style gun can it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You meant firing pin spring, correct?
    Yes.

Wolff even sell the RS and FPS as a set - at least for 5” .45s.

I mention it because I’ve recently spoke with to an LEO carrying a Stacatto on duty who had no idea. He’s a shooter but his background is 100% modern striker fired polymer pistols.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    This is why I will not carry or use a 1911 sans FPS. They are not drop safe. Some are less problematic than others, but none are truly drop safe.

It can’t be that hard to put a quality FPS into a 1911 style gun can it?
    The series 80 system works fine and a competent gunsmith can tune the trigger such that 99% of us can’t tell the difference.

That said, for all practical purposes a standard 1911/2011 with all safeties functioning is drop safe enough.

For an extra margin of safety, a titanium FP and extra power FP spring a standard 1911 can pass even the CA roster drop safety test.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-22-2023 at 11:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The series 80 system works fine and a competent gunsmith can tune the trigger such that 99% of us can’t tell the difference.

That said, for all practical purposes a standard 1911/2011 with all safeties functioning is drop safe enough.

For an extra margin of safety, a titanium FP and extra power FP spring a standard 1911 can pass even the CA roster drop safety test.

I know they are more drop safe than many pistols of the past, but someone did a test and found they were not truly drop safe. I’ve posted it here but I can’t remember who did it.

If people want to carry them, that’s great. I wouldn’t feel unsafe around someone carrying a “Series 70” 1911. However, they are not drop safe enough *for me.*

I understand why reasonable, and BTDT people who are my superiors, choose differently.

User Tag List