Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

The $200 2,000-round Challenge

Pistol: Ruger P-89
    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Ammunition: 800 rounds of MagTech 124gr FMJ, 550 124gr Blazer Brass FMJ, assorted other FML to include Remington, Federal, Sig Elite, S&B. Also some Sig V-Crown
    Dates of testing: 13 November 2018 - 2 January 2019
    Total rounds fired: 2000
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Comments: Lubed with FP-10 before starting. Visible FP-10 still weeping from rails today. Awkward to shoot. Crazy reach to trigger for DA first shot. Vague single-action trigger. Massive slide reciprocating that far above where your grip stops on the light aluminum frame makes it like shooting a Shake Weight. Vague sights, with a tiny front that dirtied fast.

Initial range trips produced laughable attempts at "speed"...

Name:  Z7E6qTdQTOGpHhO+EI9qUw.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  40.3 KB

Three and four round strings struggling to dip much below .5 splits and spraying bullets everywhere...

Two months later, big goofy mag dumps dipping into the low .3 range show that, even with a difficult pistol to shoot well, one of the easiest performance modifications is two cases of ammo...

Name:  IMG_3942.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  37.7 KB
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Ruger P-90

A few years ago I read where Ruger was going to discontinue the P-series pistols. Bought a P-90 new, the last one in stock at the retailer. The only reason I bought it was that it was discontinued. Well it is clunky, not very ergonomic, low capacity for size, and no aftermarket support. I don't regret buying it but I do see its shortcomings. Of course when the P-series were designed the handgun world was much different then compared to today. I don't plan to sell it, but I don't shoot it very much.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    A few years ago I read where Ruger was going to discontinue the P-series pistols. Bought a P-90 new, the last one in stock at the retailer. The only reason I bought it was that it was discontinued. Well it is clunky, not very ergonomic, low capacity for size, and no aftermarket support. I don't regret buying it but I do see its shortcomings. Of course when the P-series were designed the handgun world was much different then compared to today. I don't plan to sell it, but I don't shoot it very much.
    So, how did it do in the 2,000-round challenge?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The $200 2,000-round Challenge
    So you spent more on ammo than on the gun...
    Last edited by Drang; 01-04-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    So, how did it do in the 2,000-round challenge?
    Oh, I haven't done the challenge. Doubt I will on this pistol. I enjoyed your review on the Ruger!

Dusted off the P-90 today

After reading Tamara's post on the P-89, I dusted off the Ruger P-90 today. I shot 137 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 230gr JHP and 64 rounds of PMC 230gr ball ammo. The pistol functioned 100%. Ejection was consistent with a pile of brass around 3:30 and about 12 feet away. This pistol is definitely old school. I had recently changed out the magazine springs with +10% Wolff springs. The reason was that my two newest mags (go figure) had problems retaining rounds. Occasionally a round would slip forward out of the mag. The Wolff springs solved that problem. I decided to change out the springs in all 8 magazines since it was cheaper per spring to order a 10 pack. So today was a good day!

Hammertime
    Pistol: Glock 45

Caliber: 9mm

Ammunition:
    S&B 115 grain FMJ
    PPU 115 grain FMJ
    Blazer Brass 124 grain FMJ
    Tul Ammo 115 grain FMJ
    Magtech 115 grain FMJ
    Armscor 115 grain FMJ
    Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 115 grain FMJ
    Magtech 124 grain FMJ
    Men 124 grain FMJ
    Winchester NATO 124 grain FMJ
    S&B 124 grain FMJ SB9B
    Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ
    Fiocchi 124 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 147 grain FMJ
    American Eagle 147 grain FMJ
    Barnaul white box 115 grain FMJ
    Wolf Mil Spec 115 grain FMJ
    Brown Bear 115 grain FMJ
    Silver Bear 115 grain FMJ

Dates of testing: 1/2019

Total rounds fired: 2408

Stoppages:
    First 2000 rounds:
    -1 FTLBE PPU 115 probably my thumb.
    Last 425 rounds with steel cased ammo
    -1 short stroke fail to load
    -1 feedramp stoppage mid mag.
    -3 unlit primers that fired second strike.
    -1 feed ramp stoppage loading from slidelock

Comments: I love this gun. Superb shooter and possible the best gun Glock makes right now.

The vast majority of Stoppages were due to crap steel ammo that was really under powered. I have stopped three HKs and two Glocks, and a couple Berettas with this stuff. I don’t count it against the gun at all. Essentially, with brass for 2000 rounds this gun was perfect except once I hit the slide release and it didn’t lock open.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Pistol: Glock 45

Ammunition:
    S&B 115 grain FMJ
    PPU 115 grain FMJ
    Blazer Brass 124 grain FMJ
    Tul Ammo 115 grain FMJ
    Magtech 115 grain FMJ
    Armscor 115 grain FMJ
    Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 115 grain FMJ
    Magtech 124 grain FMJ
    Men 124 grain FMJ
    Winchester NATO 124 grain FMJ
    S&B 124 grain FMJ SB9B
    Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ
    Fiocchi 124 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 147 grain FMJ
    American Eagle 147 grain FMJ
    Barnaul white box 115 grain FMJ
    Wolf Mil Spec 115 grain FMJ
    Brown Bear 115 grain FMJ
    Silver Bear 115 grain FMJ

Dates of testing: 1/2019

Total rounds fired: 2408

Stoppages:
    First 2000 rounds:
    -1 FTLBE PPU 115 probably my thumb.
    Last 425 rounds with steel cased ammo
    -1 short stroke fail to load
    -1 feedramp stoppage mid mag.
    -3 unlit primers that fired second strike.
    -1 feed ramp stoppage loading from slidelock

Comments: I love this gun. Superb shooter and possible the best gun Glock makes right now.

The vast majority of Stoppages were due to crap steel ammo that was really under powered. I have stopped three HKs and two Glocks, and a couple Berettas with this stuff. I don’t count it against the gun at all. Essentially, with brass for 2000 rounds this gun was perfect except once I hit the slide release and it didn’t lock open.
    I continue to appreciate the vast ammo variety in your 2000-round challenges. Very very impressive runs by your 19X and 45.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

2,000 Round Challenge

Hey all, somewhat new to the forum, but I'd like to get in on the 2000 round challenge. First up will be my current carry gun - the Beretta / Wilson Combat 92G Compact Carry. It now has 3,695 rounds through it and I just cleaned and lubed it up. All of this shooting will be done from concealment from a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and Milt Sparks magazine carrier.

Pistol: Beretta / Wilson Combat 92G CC
    Ammunition: Sellier & Bellot 115 grain FMJ
    Dates of testing: From now - TBD
    Total rounds fired: TBD
    Stoppages: TBD
    Malfunctions: TBD
    Breakages: TBD

Comments:

I will update as I go. I expect this will take me about a month to complete at the pace I have been shooting this gun. I do not foresee any issues, but time and round count will tell. Please let me know if you have any questions about the gun or anything at all and I am happy to answer to the best of my ability!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by usmc_k9_vet; 01-27-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Sweeeeeeet!

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Pistol: Beretta Wilson 92G Compact Carry
    Ammunition: All sorts of 115, 124, and 147 grain ammo. At least twelve types. What I can recall: PPU 115 gr normal and NATO, S&B 124 gr normal, and NATO, Winchester 124 gr NATO, MEN 124 gr NATO, Brown Bear 115 gr, Wolf WPA 115 gr, Speer Lawman 124 gr, 147 grain, AE 147 gr fmj, Magtech 115 gr, HST 147 gr standard pressure, Aguila 115 grain
    Dates of testing: 8/2017-9/2017
    Total rounds fired: 2,043
    Modifications: Wilson Action Tune
    Stoppages: 2, One failure to lock back on empty Mec-Gar 18 rd mag (115 Magtech toward end of test), 1 failure to fire which fired on second strike (Brown Bear 115 grain)

Notes and Observations: I really like this beautiful little gun, and it runs like a sewing machine. I doubt either of the failures above are the fault of the firearm. I am unclear why it didn't lock back on empty other than the ammo is just weak. Only happened once. The second one is definitely ammo related. I have had the same lot of Brown Bear require a second strike in a M9A3 with full power springs. I would carry this gun with confidence. After 2k rounds, there was still lube on the rails, and the interior of the gun was not really that dirty.

It passes the 10-8 extractor test (for 1911s) handily.

I am running the same test. Very nicely done and a great little gun. I fully expect to have similar results to yours!
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

User Tag List