Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artemis Defense Institute

Artemis Defense Institute

http://www.artemisdefenseinstitute.com/

My instinct is to think that I'd rather train with vetted professionals in the area, but the focus here seems to be on mindset and tactics rather than a realistic test of shooting skills. Still, something about it leaves me a bit leery.

Not sure what to make of this.

Thoughts?

My thoughts? Pass. Any training organization that has an instructor posing like spider-man is a "No" in my book.

Consider Scotty Reitz at ITTS. I do not agree with everything Scott teaches, but I alway listen. He is an excellent instructor and draws from a deep body of experience. I think you would be hard-pressed to do better in CA. Plus, Scott and Brett are great people.

http://www.internationaltactical.com/
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    My thoughts? Pass. Any training organization that has an instructor posing like spider-man is a "No" in my book.

Consider Scotty Reitz at ITTS. I do not agree with everything Scott teaches, but I alway listen. He is an excellent instructor and draws from a deep body of experience. I think you would be hard-pressed to do better in CA. Plus, Scott and Brett are great people.

http://www.internationaltactical.com/
    This.

Uncle Scotty is among the best trainers I have worked with. ITTS and quality Mexican food are the ONLY two things I miss about SOCAL.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Hey all... I train over at Artemis, and I can tell you that it is top notch. The way I look at it is, if simulator training is good enough for the military and law enforcement, it should work for a normal civilian. Nik, you said that you wanted to train with vetted professionals, but all of their trainers are either ex-military or active PD (or both). I took a look at the caps-inc.com website, and while the live fire idea is really cool, it just isn't able to do everything the systems at Artemis can do.

I would say check it out before you completely dismiss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    This.

Uncle Scotty is among the best trainers I have worked with. ITTS and quality Mexican food are the ONLY two things I miss about SOCAL.
    See you at Colimas in Oceanside
    #RESIST

I miss the ocean and the Mom n' Pop Mexican restaurants in Chula Vista.

Damn that was good eatin'.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt4fun View Post
    Hey all... I train over at Artemis, and I can tell you that it is top notch.
    Just to make sure I'm not misinterpreting; are you saying that you're an instructor with Artemis or a student?

When you say that it's top notch, can you elaborate at all? Are you comparing it to other training you've taken? Or was it simply something that you felt in your gut was worthwhile? Different people here will have different opinions of "top notch."

...all of their trainers are either ex-military or active PD (or both)...
    Their website indicates otherwise.

Going down their instructor list, I see:
    • Dyona Harrison - blank page: no background given
    • Jonathan Glover - no mil or LE background
    • Kyle Geenen - no background of any kind listed... but the spiderman photo sure is... interesting
    • Katie McElwain - "assisted" some deparment activities, "present during tactical operations as a civilian," and her parents are retired LE. So... basically some ride-alongs.
    • Lucas Dyer - military
    • Tim Stack - military / LE
    • Zac Watson - military / LE

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm more than happy to take a shooting course from non mil/LE. I'm just pointing out that your statement isn't accurate. Less than half of their instructors "are either ex-military or active PD"
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Site Supporter
    The way I look at it is, if simulator training is good enough for the military and law enforcement, it should work for a normal civilian.
    It would seem that the simulator is just a piece of a bigger puzzle. The instructor, the scenarios, and the analysis seem like critical pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    See you at Colimas in Oceanside
    Not in this lifetime. I'll never return to Oceanslime.

But if you wan to meet at Jalisco's in IB, I would do that. Or the hole in the wall behind Clayton's in Coronado I would most certainly do that. As it stands, we are both hosed..... East coast Mexican food......yuk.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List