Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome home coming caught on video....

Awesome home coming caught on video....

Man, youtube has to solve this issue with the dust and dander today...it's killing me:

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Man, youtube has to solve this issue with the dust and dander today...it's killing me:

AWESOME.
    Mike

I was thinking it was going to be a variation on the "Snuffy The Seal" Sharkweek ad, but it wasn't.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I actually downloaded a bunch of these surprise homecoming videos, edited them in a 3 cell split screen configuration, and played them back on a massive projector at our annual Christmas concert, while the band and singer did Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas is You"

I had admirals crying, it was epic.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Thank you for this, it's a very nice video.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I actually downloaded a bunch of these surprise homecoming videos, edited them in a 3 cell split screen configuration, and played them back on a massive projector at our annual Christmas concert, while the band and singer did Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas is You"

I had admirals crying, it was epic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meM99xKLb5A

here is a draft version of this from last christmas. there is a navy theme throughout. and yes, the bottom cell features dog homecomings.

the framing looks weird because the projector screen at the concert hall was 4 : 3 aspect ratio.

send your Kleenex / allergy bills to DoD public affairs.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meM99xKLb5A

here is a draft version of this from last christmas. there is a navy theme throughout. and yes, the bottom cell features dog homecomings.

the framing looks weird because the projector screen at the concert hall was 4 : 3 aspect ratio.

send your Kleenex / allergy bills to DoD public affairs.
    Outstanding, bro - especially the tacklehug at 1:30 and the sister's graduation at 2:20 where she's like "Let go of my kitten hand, that's my brother over there!"
    Mike

I guess I'll be the detractor...........

These types of "surprise" homecomings, unannounced, and out of the blue are a poor idea all the way around. The emotional impact of having a spouse deployed for several months up to more than a year coming to an end is a difficult enough time, and there is a reason the experts in this field very strongly recommend against such reunions. Now we add children to the equation who lack much of the mental capacity to truly understand the deployment in the first place, let alone the return, and now we decide to let the bad idea fairy take a dump in our brain, and make it a surprise on top of it all?

Returns from deployment are also not a "sure thing". They are often accompanied by delays, re-routed aircraft, maintenance issues, weather problems, etc. which make even a standard homecoming stressful. Why anyone would want to add stress to their family by showing up unannounced is beyond me.

There is more to coming home from a deployment than hugs and kisses. There is a ton of stress to both the service member, spouse, and the family during any military deployment and for several weeks after, sometimes months. Multiply that by 10 if the service member is one of the 10% that does 90% of the heavy lifting in a combat zone and is routinely in harms way during the course of the deployment. The various services have programs to assist with the reunion process for both the service member, and the families for a reason. Because they have been looking at it, and studying it very hard for the last 11 years. Showing up for one of these fifteen minutes of fame bullshit attention getter homecomings undermines those efforts, and is not healthy for anyone involved.

From the moment I saw the first one of these I couldn't help but to wonder first, what is wrong with you as the service member. And second, are you that attention starved that you feel the need to advertise to the world how cool you think you are?

There are rules against all kinds of other dumb/bad ideas in the military........there should be one against these stupid ideas as well.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 07-20-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Subject Matter Curmudgeon.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Yea, sorry about that...........

ETA......

There is currently a real estate website commercial that features a husband and wife using a "Skype" type format to discuss homes for purchase, and when they come to an agreement, husband is waiting inside the house when wife and daughter show up to the new home.

Seriously........WTF?

I get it that the REMF's have access to Skype, and other "perks" of being a REMF/Fobbit/TOC Roach/Whatever.........but how about spending your deployment doing your job? I went to Afghanistan for the first time in 2001. I didn't return until 2010, and was wondering why I was returning so many years later. Two steps off the plane, it became obvious. The bulk of the "supporting assets" spend their time browsing the local bazaar's, hanging out at the coffee shops (yes, plural), eating at TGIF's (yea, THAT TIGF, just like the one down the street here in the US), and posting their war face photos on Facebook. Definitely putting the SOUP in support.

I have also seen a rather disgusting link between REMF's, and these types of reunions.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 07-18-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List