Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta PD orders 2,300 Gen 4 Glock 22 Pistols.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Wouldn't be the first time a crappy rep screwed a company's relations with a department or geographical area.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    First, I know karmapolice personally and can vouch for the fact that he speaks with complete credibility in this issue; so, now its just a question of whether or not my vouching has any credibility.

I spoke with a member of the APD today who said that there were issues with S&W's customer service in dealing with some issues and that things added up to a point that the powers that be decided to make the switch. I have personally had issues with the LE sales rep for GA to the point that it has cost a local distributor sales. Our SRT voted to dump their Kimber 1911s in favor of the M&P45, but the rep has completely dropped the ball on this. This is the same rep that led a GA Sheriff to send out a letter to all of the state's Sheriffs' Offices concerning issues with the service they were receiving. A prominent member of this forum has direct knowledge of the situation.

---
    As for "special" units getting "special" guns, it is my personal belief that the imperial "we" delves too much into special units to the point that it takes away resources from the backbone: Patrol. It leads to "that's not my job" mentality for answering calls and the basic functions of an LE agency. Our SRT, as mentioned above, has the option to carry issued Kimber 1911s (mostly TLE/RL II models with a few Tactical HD II models). Everyone else is issued a Glock 22 or 23 depending upon the deputy's choice and inventory. The second firearms policy that I wrote upon being appointed my position (the first was to allow leverguns as patrol rifles) was that any personnel who want to carry a 1911 may do so. Sights and grips can be changed but any internal mods must be specifically approved.

The day I rearranged all of the offices in the Patrol building is on point and probably a more interesting anecdote, but I probably shouldn't tell it.
    That's a lot of detail. My impression of purely "political" was tending to track towards slimy cronyism or worse. Poor CS from the industry CS leader (by most accounts anyway). The front line contact with the customer can always make ya or break ya.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I am late to this thread, but just came in from shooting my G22 with KKM barrel and Double Tap 200 hard cast and Speer 180 TMJ. I shoot this combo for a reason -- critters here in Alaska, but I despise .40 and especially how it feels in a Glock. Where a 17 is a joy to shoot, a 22 is just plain work.

I bet Atlanta could issue the G17 to regular and SWAT folks, fire all the range staff, and have better qualification results with the 9 without any training, than with the .40 and a bunch of training.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am late to this thread, but just came in from shooting my G22 with KKM barrel and Double Tap 200 hard cast and Speer 180 TMJ. I shoot this combo for a reason -- critters here in Alaska, but I despise .40 and especially how it feels in a Glock. Where a 17 is a joy to shoot, a 22 is just plain work.

I bet Atlanta could issue the G17 to regular and SWAT folks, fire all the range staff, and have better qualification results with the 9 without any training, than with the .40 and a bunch of training.
    As I related in my first post in this thread, they were previously in 9mm and then made the change to the .40SW. I saw one of their SWAT guys today, and he was carrying a Glock, but it wasn't a G21.

Coincidentally, the city of Marietta (in a neighboring county to Atlants/Fulton County) is going from Gen3 G22s to Gen4 G22s. They considered a switch to 9mm, but in their testing, there was no improvement to speak of in their marginal shooters; so, they decided not to have to buy all new ammo.

I recently saw a marginal shooter who after 3 mo. trying out for the La. POST Course with a G35 finally shot a four course average 107 out of a possible 120. POST requires 96 but the FTU the Agency he was joining requires a minimum of 102 to qualify. The same day after qualifying with the G35 he switched to a G34 and on the first try he shot a qualifying score of 116 and was able to repeat. I have seen quite a few marginal shooters improve their scores when going from a .40 Glock to a 9mm Glock. This Agency issues choice of G34/G35.

I am truly at heart a Glock 9mm guy. I am also affiliated with a company that produces trigger kits for Glock pistols. All that being said, I shoot an M&P45 better than any other duty/carry pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That's a lot of detail. My impression of purely "political" was tending to track towards slimy cronyism or worse. Poor CS from the industry CS leader (by most accounts anyway). The front line contact with the customer can always make ya or break ya.
    When a customer is saying "take my money" and you still kitten it up, you're doing it wrong IMO. Interestingly SAPD just went the other way, Glock to M&P. I talked to an officer a few weeks ago but he didn't know much about it, other than he seemed to like the M&P fine and complained about lack of training ammo at their range.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I recently saw a marginal shooter who after 3 mo. trying out for the La. POST Course with a G35 finally shot a four course average 107 out of a possible 120. POST requires 96 but the FTU the Agency he was joining requires a minimum of 102 to qualify. The same day after qualifying with the G35 he switched to a G34 and on the first try he shot a qualifying score of 116 and was able to repeat. I have seen quite a few marginal shooters improve their scores when going from a .40 Glock to a 9mm Glock. This Agency issues choice of G34/G35.
    Out of curiosity, do agencies that issue the G34/35 leave them as is or go to a standard connector and mag release?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Coincidentally, the city of Marietta (in a neighboring county to Atlants/Fulton County) is going from Gen3 G22s to Gen4 G22s. They considered a switch to 9mm, but in their testing, there was no improvement to speak of in their marginal shooters; so, they decided not to have to buy all new ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    When the comparison is 9 vs 40, officers that don't perform better with the former than the latter within the same systems are a very small exception. Curious result from Marietta.

I just spoke to some people on the S&W side of this. Their take is that someone within the APD wants to switch due to a personal relationship between an APD officer and one of Glock's VPs.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    When a customer is saying "take my money" and you still kitten it up, you're doing it wrong IMO. Interestingly SAPD just went the other way, Glock to M&P. I talked to an officer a few weeks ago but he didn't know much about it, other than he seemed to like the M&P fine and complained about lack of training ammo at their range.

Out of curiosity, do agencies that issue the G34/35 leave them as is or go to a standard connector and mag release?

The trigger pull on a new Glock when measured from the middle of the trigger is normally 6#'s plus and the Blue Label Glocks do not come with a minus connector unless requested when ordering.
    The FTU will change out the extended parts if they become a problem but I am not aware of any issues and they have been in service for about 8 years. No holster issues and no shooting issues.

User Tag List