Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: AIWB holsters, a pictorial guide

PHLster Skeleton holster

I'm still new to AIWB carry so I can't compare this to anything else. Here are some pics. Glock 19 and a 1.5" belt.
    I went a little crazy with the camera, but I think I covered it pretty well.
    Click on the pic to go to the album.

Site Supporter
    The exposed muzzle is a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    The exposed muzzle is a deal breaker for me.
    I can definitely see that as an issue.
    I know on certain makes/models he does shroud the entire barrel and will probably do so on request for a Glock.
    By default he leaves it open for versatility purposes when a family of pistols can share a holster.
    Last edited by markustlaumann; 08-26-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added quote for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by markustlaumann View Post
    I can definitely see that as an issue.
    I know on certain makes/models he does shroud the entire barrel and will probably do so on request for a Glock.
    By default he leaves it open for versatility purposes when a family of pistols can share a holster.
    In the AIWB position the extra length can, for some people, be a benefit even when a shorter gun is being carried. Lots of folks (myself included) prefer a G17 length holster even with a G19 (or 26). It lends some stability to keep the rear of the slide tucked in.

Not to mention, nobody sings songs about the wonderful smell of LOK's nuts roasting on an open slide.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Not to mention, nobody sings songs about the wonderful smell of LOK's nuts roasting on an open slide.
    Yeah, this was my first thought. Wince! If you want a GLOCK tattoo, there are better ways.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by markustlaumann View Post
    I'm still new to AIWB carry so I can't compare this to anything else. Here are some pics. Glock 19 and a 1.5" belt.
    I went a little crazy with the camera, but I think I covered it pretty well.
    Click on the pic to go to the album.
    With an exposed muzzle like that, is it possible to "pop" the gun upwards in the holster while sitting down or during movement? Not fully unholstered, but at least unseated out of the retention point?

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    With an exposed muzzle like that, is it possible to "pop" the gun upwards in the holster while sitting down or during movement? Not fully unholstered, but at least unseated out of the retention point?
    I've played with my kids on the floor (learned a lot about positioning here...), ate meals at the table, sat at the computer for hours, raked and moved an acre of grass cuttings, and practiced dry fire from seated and standing. No retention issues so far.

During dry fire between standing and sitting, I don't notice any difference on draw strength required to remove pistol from the holster.

Caveats:
    - I've only had it a couple weeks (retention might change with age/use).
    - I can't carry at work so my time with it is at home after work (looking at 100ish hours of wear).
    - I don't know specific scenarios to test that might help evaluate this (suggestions welcome (burpees?)).

That said, after thinking about Up1911Fan and LOKNLOD's comments, I would order the next one from PHLster fully shrouded in G17 length to avoid this retention concern and help with stability.
    Last edited by markustlaumann; 08-31-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: replaced issue with concern in the last line since I had no actual issue.

An update now that I'm home and can test the retention.

If I push directly up on the muzzle (vertical force and zero cant), I can dislodge the pistol but could not get it to fully leave the holster. A punt to the groin would probably completely eject it. My wife wouldn't perform the test so no verification...
    If I push up at an angle (30ish degrees from either side) the holster rotates and comes out of the top of the pants while the pistol remains fully seated.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I picked up a Blade-Tech "Nano" IWB holster on whim after receiving an email from PoilceStore.com which is Brownell's LE website: http://www.policestore.com/.aspx/pid...t/NANO_HOLSTER

After doing some research on the Blade-Tech website it states that the cant of the holster is adjustable from zero to the "FBI" cant. I figured it may work for me for my new Gen4 G17 for appendix carry IWB, so I placed my order. Got it yesterday and I set the belt loops up for zero cant/AIWB.

The belt loops are also adjustable for belt width:

More pics:

These pics were taken in a mirror so everything is reversed:

Pro's:
    Very comfortable.
    Good retention.
    Smooth draw and re-holster.
    Offers the best full grip on the pistol of any AWIB holster I have tried thus far. (My normal carry is a CCC "Looper" for my M&P9 f/s)
    Full sweat guard.
    Price: $60 (I got mine for $50 shipped with my LE discount)

Con's:
    Since it rides slightly higher than other AWIB holster I have tried, it seems to "print" more. Now, the G17 is a bigger pistol than I am used to carrying so a smaller pistol like my M&P9 might conceal better but the ride hight seems to cause it to be less concealable for me.
    Build quality doesn't seem to be on-par with the other custom options on the market. (Only time will tell)
    Order the same holster for my P30S.
    I totally agree the ride height is a little high. and could go down some.

Its to bad because the retired model bladetech IWB was perfect!

This is a great thread, just wanted to bump this up and hopefully get more input form folks!

I have a local custom kydex holster maker making me a rig

User Tag List