Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Maintenance Schedule for Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by iCarbine View Post
    Once this is completed, can we make this a sticky?
    Agree!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Beretta 92:

Most important is to replace recoil spring and trigger return spring every 5000 rounds. This prevents the gun from battering itself with extra stress on the locking block. The latest gen locking block is usually good for 25,000+ rounds, but you may want to replace it at 20,000. I will also clean out the extractor channel every 5000 rounds. The extractor pin is staked into the slide, so it may not be a good idea/necessary to excessively clean the extractor channel. I have never run into an issue with broken firing pin or worn firing pin springs. I believe the gun will still function with a broken firing pin.

Any suggestions for trigger bar spring and slide stop spring? Mine have never been replaced (10,000rds) and I have yet to see any breakages or performance degradation.

Spare parts I keep:
    recoil springs, trigger return springs, trigger bar springs, extractor spring + extractor, locking block + plunger,

Glock recoil spring replacement. Gen 2 and 3 every 3000 round. Gen 4 every 5000 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Sig P220
    Recoil Spring - 3,500 rds
    Slide Catch Lever Spring - 5,000 rounds
    Trigger Bar Spring - 5,000 rounds
    Decocking Spring - 5,000 rounds

Sig P228, 226, 229
    Recoil Spring - 5,000 rds
    Slide Catch Lever Spring - 5,000 rounds
    Trigger Bar Spring - 5,000 rounds
    Decocking Spring - 5,000 rounds

Unofficial Recommendations
    Sig sells a "rebuild" kit that includes the common springs, grip screws, and firing pin positioning pin, buy those and "one fell swoop" it.
    P220 - I would replace the standard takedown lever every 10,000 rounds or find the "Combat" takedown lever and two-piece firing pin positioning pin every 5,000 rounds
    P228/226 - I would replace the two piece firing pin positioning pin every 5,000 rounds.
    Does Sig offer a rebuild kit using parts from a Gen 1 P229 40S&W
    I would like all original parts? If possible

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Beretta 92:

Most important is to replace recoil spring and trigger return spring every 5000 rounds. This prevents the gun from battering itself with extra stress on the locking block. The latest gen locking block is usually good for 25,000+ rounds, but you may want to replace it at 20,000. I will also clean out the extractor channel every 5000 rounds. The extractor pin is staked into the slide, so it may not be a good idea/necessary to excessively clean the extractor channel. I have never run into an issue with broken firing pin or worn firing pin springs. I believe the gun will still function with a broken firing pin.

Any suggestions for trigger bar spring and slide stop spring? Mine have never been replaced (10,000rds) and I have yet to see any breakages or performance degradation.

Spare parts I keep:
    recoil springs, trigger return springs, trigger bar springs, extractor spring + extractor, locking block + plunger,
    Triggerbar spring-Every 5K rounds/trigger manipulations

Slide Stop-Every 5K rounds (but I don't sweat this one nearly as much as I do the trigger return spring and triggerbar spring).

Best, Jon

I learned quite awhile ago to never let a 3rd gen Glock .40 go over 2000 rounds before dumping the RSA, 3000 max.

I have lost count of the G22s that I have seen with broken and/or bent trigger and locking block pins due to failing to swap springs.

User Tag List