Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why stipple?

Why stipple?

I see more and more pics of guys self stippling their guns (to various degrees of success) or sending them out to get it done professionally, and I have to ask, why? What advantage does stippling like this offer over say, grip tape? I've had grip tape on my G19 for about 4 years and it hasn't shifted or worn enough to need to be replaced. It provides all the benefits without, and this is my opinion, ruining your frame.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Because Facebook pics.

I personally don't see the need for stippling on a Glock, especially on a Gen3 or Gen4 unless grip angle work is done. There is much more need for either grip tape or stippling on an M&P. My guess on the why of stippling is it makes one's pistol "custom" and therefore better than a stock an anyone with $500 gun.

Because its a permanent mod & can be done exactly how the owner wants. It's true, a lot of folks really kitten up their frames to the point of making me cringe. But, a lot of others turn out real nice. It def detracts from the resale/trade value but I guess if it's a gun you plan on keeping, it doesn't matter.

Me personally, I use grip tape. I do stipple periodically, but only on stuff that's replaceable like Sig or Beretta grips. The little decal kits they sell for Glocks work great IMO.

I guess for a lot, it's for the same reason they put titanium strikers & punisher back plates in Glocks...the Internet told them to.

I have had both and shot both. Grip tape works and in most cases for me seemed to work a little better. 3M stair tread tape is about perfect and doesn't "ruin" the gun. All that said a well stippled gun looks cool as kitten and who doesn't like cool kitten? Everyone, even the most uptight "leave it stock" type still likes guns that they think look cool.
    Last edited by ToddG; 07-17-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: profanity
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Four reasons that I can see:

1. "Cover-up" of additional work, such as finger groove and hump removal on Glocks.
    2. Removable grip panels, i.e. no permanent changes like on Beretta or 1911
    3. Desire for specific levels of traction.
    4. What Jay said.

Does grip tape add anything notable to circumference?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Because Facebook pics.
    This. Duh.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Have two stippled Glocks.

I don't see it as ruining the frame. The gun only has value as much as I can run it well. I run the stippled gun better but I am sweaty guy.

I don't want the learning curve so I sent the guns out.

I don't plan on selling the guns.

Cheers,
    Cookie Monster

I've tried a variety of methods to improve traction, including inner tubes and grip tape. I have come to strongly prefer stippling on polymer frame pistols. I don't use Facebook. Both Glocks and M&P's work much better for me when stippled; recoil control is substantially enhanced. Try shooting in the rain or with bloody hands--stippling works. The only pistols I have not felt a need to stipple are the RTF2 Glocks--those worked pretty well right out of the box.

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I had my gen3 G19 stippled because the finger grooves were driving me batty:

I also had the guy undercut the trigger guard and that's worked out good for me.

Also the gen 3 frame on my G19 had worn smooth enough that it would torque in my hands when they were sweaty or sunscreened. I probably wouldn't bother having a Gen4 or RTF stippled, but I'd still want the finger grooves filed off.

User Tag List