Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why stipple?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I've tried a variety of methods to improve traction, including inner tubes and grip tape. I have come to strongly prefer stippling on polymer frame pistols. I don't use Facebook. Both Glocks and M&P's work much better for me when stippled; recoil control is substantially enhanced. Try shooting in the rain or with bloody hands--stippling works. The only pistols I have not felt a need to stipple are the RTF2 Glocks--those worked pretty well right out of the box.

[/IMG]
    I've really gotten addicted to high traction. The Gen 4's just get by but add rain or a lot of sweat and I'm not happy. RTF2 is as good as I've found, I'd buy a RTF5 that was worse/better. Maybe if I could close a CoC #3 (or #2) I'd say differently.

If I were stippling I think I would just do it on the front and back strap of the frame. I "think" that's the key anchor points for me. But while it didn't take many beers for me to Krylon my N4 Recce, not sure I can hold enough down to put the hot iron to one of my frames.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If I were stippling I think I would just do it on the front and back strap of the frame
    That's what I did. I'll bring the G17 I stippled with me as I've got to be in the ATL later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    If you really mess one up you can always give it away to a buddy.

Not that I've done that...
    Form follows function, and I seem to shoot that gun ok.........ugly is as ugly performs. Damn those sights are LOUD though!
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I use the mountain bike inner tube segment for increased grippiness on my Glock G21 in particular-it works well, without significantly increasing the receiver's girth. I've done the same with my G17 and G34, but left my G19s alone.

I am very impressed with the VCD grips on my SIG GSR XO, but have kept the VZ Gator Grips on my Nighthawk Talon II, at least for the time being-whild the VCDs are better, the VZs are more than adequate-and are a perfect aesthetic match to the gun...

Most of my guns are used concurrently for carry and IDPA-and I'd prefer not having to jump any deeper in the IDPA divisional shark pool than I have to-generally, my Glocks are used in Stock Service Pistol, and my Hi Power is reserved for Enhanced Service Pistol-and 1911s for CDP...So no stippling!

Professionally executed stippling looks..well, professional. Not so well executed looks...bubba-ish. Operationally, both'll work, but still...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Form follows function, and I seem to shoot that gun ok.........ugly is as ugly performs. Damn those sights are LOUD though!
    What can I say, my eyes don't allow me to sharply focus on the front sight, so the best I can do it getting a bright orange blob out front and focusing on the target. Lemons and lemonade yah know.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Thin as possible, grips or stippled?

Sounds similar to what I ask myself at the drugstore: ultra thin, ribbed, or studded pleasuremax?

You and your SO have preferences as do you and your hand. This needed a good punch line.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

I use the 3m stair tape but it melts / slides right off if im shooting in the sun. The stippling does have its appeal but im also shooting IDPA for s&g and dont want to go through all that shiz.

Im more interested in the undercut trigger guards for the glocks. Do they make a noticeable difference?

Gen3 Glocks can be a little on the slippery side. I'm averse to permanently altering the frame so I haven't gone the stippling route. I put a strip of grip tape on the center of the back strap and that gets the gun more anchored in my strong hand and there is no issue with it shifting. Upper body inward torque, applied via the arm position and grip pressure, tends to pull the lower part of the grip tape off to the right, especially during a longer session of shooting or dry fire. I just push it back into place, and then replace it fairly frequently. Not at all an ideal solution, but it works. I wonder if this is similar to the reports from some people that they rip the GFA off their gun when they do the Vogel-style torquing.

I would get more grip enhancement if I used more grip tape. But its got to be right where it is - any further toward the left grip panel it will abrade my abdomen when the gun is holstered, and any further toward the right panel it will grab my shirt and mess up concealment.

[IMG] 0111130638-00 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham
    Because Facebook pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    This. Duh.
    Wait... I thought everything was 'because racegun'?

Now I'm all confuzzled....
    Mike

I am firmly against frame mutilation. I will not approve a pistol for duty carry that has had the frame mutilated. This one could probably be quantified as a "Because I am the chief, and I say so" rules and no amount of forum chatter is going to change it, and I refer any of those who question it to the aforementioned quantification.

User Tag List