Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practicing with more than one gun

I am in the stay with one gun training camp. Maybe someday I will be able to jump from gun to gun but right now I am sticking with one as much as possible.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Since I have to carry a DA/SA (226R) at work, that's what my carry guns are (226R and P30v3). I also decided I wanted to improve my revolver skills, so I'm shooting a DAO revolver (686 SSR) in competition. If anything, I think the DAO revolver has helped my first shot with my duty gun.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

If I had ample practice time, I would get a lot of benefit from shooting my DA revolvers more. My time is so limited right now that even switching among 1911 triggers is messing with me pretty good.

Jon
    KC
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    If I had ample practice time, I would get a lot of benefit from shooting my DA revolvers more. My time is so limited right now that even switching among 1911 triggers is messing with me pretty good.

Jon
    KC
    I am getting the feeling that phenom is more pronounced the "nicer" the 1911 trigger. When I had a rack grade 1911 I thought alternating back to it for a range session from tons of Glock was actually awkward from the standpoint of seeing better speedy hits from the basic Colt Commander. But now the comparo is with the fine trigger of a custom gun and except for slowfire, I can't shoot that thing for squat right now at any respectable pace.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    I have a friend who is convinced that one should only practice one gun at a time. While we have all heard the expression about "be ware of the the man with only one gun" I always assumed that practicing similar drills with with my Glock 19 and then a pocket auto (baby Glock or Boberg) would be "similar practice" but perhaps not. I assumed that most practice should be done with the full size but some "familiarity practice" with the smaller gun would allow some skills to transfer, perhaps one should only focus on one gun at a time.

What about different guns on different practice days? I have a new to me K frame that I was going to work on revolver skills with. My thoughts was mostly Glock practice one day and mostly revolver practice the next but again perhaps I should have more discipline in my practice routines.

When buying a Back Up handgun ? I try to get it with the same action.
    Like when I carried a K frame ? I would use a J fame as a back up.

Or when I carried a Colt 1911 I bought a Officers ACP and Mustang 380 for BUG
    ( BTW I gave up small sub compact 380 pistols for good in 1995)

Now I carry a DA/SA P229 40cal but for a Bug I use a M642 J frame
    I know the M642 isn't the same action but its a simple DOA revolver and easy for me to shoot.

I wouldn't carry different types of pistols.
    Like a 1911 ,Glock,Sig P

Try to keep them close to the same action.

I think that if you're training for competetion, train with the pistol you're competing with. When selecting a pistol for competetion, don't let a bad day send you looking for something you might do better with because it'd new only to have a bad day with it later. I have two basic actions and three pistols I have to stay up with - M&P, Glock, and J-frame revolver cause I carry all three. When I shot in novice competition I figured out early on to stay with my duty gun.

I do much better when I just focus on my primary carry pistol type and BUG...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List