Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip safety theory question

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Perhaps because I don't shoot them enough, but I find the grip safety on most 1911s to be an absolute PITA. Most of the time I draw and then have to change my grip significantly to get them to fire. If I owned one I'd do like a lot of the IPSC guys I know and pin the grip safety.
    Too much poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Never had a problem with one. Never seen what the problem is. Especially on one with a "bump", they're absolutely transparent to me. Perhaps as a consequence, I've just always thought that people who pinned them, pinned them because that's what they thought the cool kids were supposed to do.

(I have never heard foreignese shooters complain about the grip safety on Radoms or Lugers or the frontstrap of P7s. I think it's a Jeremy Clarkson and American cars thing; it's just cool to hate on 1911s because 'Merica. )
    Why do I carry a 1911? Because !AMERICA!

I guess I could understand hating on a grip safety because it complicates a pistol's design, except I've never heard that one. (Mind you, I haven't spent as much time in gun shops around Cletus as Tam, so, as with just about everything firearm, I bow to her superior experience.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Even with the bump grip safety on my Les Baer I have encountered occasions where I don't disengage it from the draw. If you tend to get a high grip on the pistol with your strong hand you can end up applying insufficient pressure at the lower part of the grip safety (which is where the proper leverage always seems to be) to actually cause it to get out of the way of the trigger bar. This can be remedied with some careful fitting of the grip safety, or just pinning the grip safety.

I need the beavertail grip safety on a 1911 to keep my right hand from being shredded, but I'd prefer it just to act as a shield for my hand rather than function as a safety.
    3/15/2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Even with the bump grip safety on my Les Baer I have encountered occasions where I don't disengage it from the draw. If you tend to get a high grip on the pistol with your strong hand you can end up applying insufficient pressure at the lower part of the grip safety (which is where the proper leverage always seems to be) to actually cause it to get out of the way of the trigger bar.
    Dude, I grip as high on a 1911 as it's possible to grip and have not encountered this. I think it's pretty mitt-specific.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Dude, I grip as high on a 1911 as it's possible to grip and have not encountered this. I think it's pretty mitt-specific.
    Of course. I've noticed a bit of a correlation between those who need a GFA on a Glock to keep from getting cut up and those who prefer to have their 1911 grip safeties nearly neutered or pinned.
    3/15/2016

For me, I have no problems with a M1911A1 grip safety, under any conditions. To hit a Les Baer or Wilson beavertail grip safety reliably, I have to be running thin stocks. Conveniently, I like thin stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I have also never had one fail to operate. Frankly I can't understand how you can be gripping a 1911 without compressing it.
    Lots of folks have issues with the grip safety not completely or reliably disengaging... myself included... and there are few factors that can contribute such as sensativity of the grip safety engagement, the size and shape of the pad on the grip safety, and the combination of hand size/shape and how "high" the shooter gets on the hilt of the pistol.

For many shooters who get their hand very high into the grip safety of the 1911, especially shooters who (correctly) place there thumb on top of the thumb safety, the hand can work in opposition to itself. As the hand gets high into the hilt of the grip safety it can actually force the grip safety to pivot out, or towards the on/engaged position, while at the same time trying (often unsuccessfully) to depress the safety enough to lift the engagement arm out of the way of the trigger bow.

Having a safety that is sensitive and has correct engagement as well as a large/correctly shaped pad can often times be a remedy... but it's not a "fix all" and I still know some very accomplished shooters who prefer to simply pin or deactivate the grip safety all together.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA
    I've noticed a bit of a correlation between those who need a GFA on a Glock to keep from getting cut up and those who prefer to have their 1911 grip safeties nearly neutered or pinned.
    Name:  firinggrip2.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  19.9 KB

This seems to be a good place to mention why I loves me a modern beavertail GS on a 1911. (Also, check out the fit and finish on that minty example of Seattle's finest! )

Of course, I can also get all four fingers on the frontstrap of a G29/30, so my hands are obviously oddly-proportioned...

minty example of Seattle's finest
    Jerry Ahearn thanks you. You should have two for the shoulder holster....

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Jerry Ahearn thanks you. You should have two for the shoulder holster....
    I have never been so disillusioned by the reality of a firearm before. It's like my inner pulp-adventure-readin' adolescent took an A.G. Russell "Sting" boot knife right to the gut.

I somethings feel bad about selling the thing, but it's not like I didn't warn the guy that it was an unmitigated piece of kitten and a wretched pulsating ball of suck and fail.

To veer back to the thread topic, though, the grip safety may have been the only part on that gun that functioned as it should have.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    Lots of folks have issues with the grip safety not completely or reliably disengaging... myself included... and there are few factors that can contribute such as sensativity of the grip safety engagement, the size and shape of the pad on the grip safety, and the combination of hand size/shape and how "high" the shooter gets on the hilt of the pistol.

For many shooters who get their hand very high into the grip safety of the 1911, especially shooters who (correctly) place there thumb on top of the thumb safety, the hand can work in opposition to itself. As the hand gets high into the hilt of the grip safety it can actually force the grip safety to pivot out, or towards the on/engaged position, while at the same time trying (often unsuccessfully) to depress the safety enough to lift the engagement arm out of the way of the trigger bow.

Having a safety that is sensitive and has correct engagement as well as a large/correctly shaped pad can often times be a remedy... but it's not a "fix all" and I still know some very accomplished shooters who prefer to simply pin or deactivate the grip safety all together.
    I guess it's just a matter of me never having gripped a 1911 with anyone else's hands...I grip my Glocks high enough that I have permanent slide tracks cut in and I bleed at every range session. I just fitted an EB safety and took the frame in enough that there is about 2.5mm of hole exposed with the safety on...I grip plenty high. But even so, I just can't pick the gun up without compressing the grip safety.

And Rob has meaty hands...I mean I'm not saying NOBODY has this issue because it's not like it's the first time I've heard of it...I just have got to see this on him, myself.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List