Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aiming for the Pelvis

The winner of a knife fight is the guy who takes the longest to bleed out.

The pelvic girdle shot has some validity. It is a shot that goes to an area with lots of blood flow and one that can immobilize.

However, if you are good enough to hit the pelvic girdle on a dynamic target you are also good enough to put a shot into the cranial vault. A pelvic girdle shot may immobilize, but it won't put the lights out.

The pelvic girdle shot is A tool to have in the bag but necessarily THE tool to have. Perhaps is most relevant application would be in a CQB situation in which the head shot is just not doable for some reason.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by CAW View Post
    I've been shot in the pelvis region 3 times.
    Seriously, you need to start dating a better class of girl.

In all seriousness, glad your incidents played out in your favor and welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Seriously, you need to start dating a better class of girl.

In all seriousness, glad your incidents played out in your favor and welcome to the forum!
    lmao! I never thought about it that way! Too funny!

No, really it's just the way it played out. Funny how things go. The third shot probably would have been somewhere else, but luckily he was probably focusing on my weapon as I pulled it.

In my book the pelvis shot have itīs place, if the shoots are fired at a point blank range.
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

The other problem with specifically targeting the pelvis is it does nothing to immobilize a trigger finger.
    A SOP should cover all situations, not if he has a knife I'll shoot the pelvis, if he has a gun I'll shoot the brain, if he has a stick I'll...
    My SOP is the heart then the head or the center of the largest available target until the heart or head becomes visible.
    The only time the pelvic region is my primary target is in retention shooting at bad breath distance.

Right before I got out of the Marine Corps, they changed their motto from "2 to the chest, 1 to the head" to "2 to chest, the rest in the groin". Now I will be the first to admit that the basic Marine Corps firearms training regimen is a joke. It consists of immobile known distance ranges with untimed stages of slow fire. It is pretty much worthless in a real life situation. Their reasoning was that the pelvis was a fairly large target full of all sorts of "goodies". You have the pelvis, the hip and sockets, internal/external illiac arteries that run into and form the femoral arteries, the genitalia...Personally, I feel that the groin is a great way to incapacitate a threat. However, you would have to do some pretty extensive training in order to draw your natural focus away from the the area thethreat is going to come from and that is usually the area consisting of "center mass". It could cost precious time and focus to transition form center mass to the groin unless you had specifically trained to do so. Also, if the threat is moving, the groin area is also going to be moving and present a much smaller target than the relatively immobile torso.

I find it interesting that Redback One's pistol standards call for some shots to be in the pelvis.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    Right before I got out of the Marine Corps, they changed their motto from "2 to the chest, 1 to the head" to "2 to chest, the rest in the groin". Now I will be the first to admit that the basic Marine Corps firearms training regimen is a joke. It consists of immobile known distance ranges with untimed stages of slow fire. It is pretty much worthless in a real life situation. Their reasoning was that the pelvis was a fairly large target full of all sorts of "goodies". You have the pelvis, the hip and sockets, internal/external illiac arteries that run into and form the femoral arteries, the genitalia...Personally, I feel that the groin is a great way to incapacitate a threat. However, you would have to do some pretty extensive training in order to draw your natural focus away from the the area thethreat is going to come from and that is usually the area consisting of "center mass". It could cost precious time and focus to transition form center mass to the groin unless you had specifically trained to do so. Also, if the threat is moving, the groin area is also going to be moving and present a much smaller target than the relatively immobile torso.
    KD, immoble targets and slow fire sounds like you're talking about Table 1. That isn't meant to be a modern combat marksmanship range anyway. There's a reason it's basic......it's about the basics, the extremely simple fundamentals. You can't just throw someone who's never even held a rifle into a 360* live fire room-clearing range and expect that to go well.

Table 2, 3 and 4 are building blocks as well. They're not the end all, be all, either. There's way more to combat marksmanship training than Table 1. Now if you're talking about pistols.......hahahha, yeah, it doesn't really do much besides teach trigger press and front sight, but last time I talked to anyone at WTBN here in Quantico they were running some sort of beta-"Pistol 2" where you were actually required to draw from a holster, move, ect.

I only joined a few years ago in 2007 and pelvic shots were already part of the game. It doesn't help much when they now count table 2 as a scored event, so people game it. You get the same amount of points for a pelvic shot as you do the T-box(that's right folks, the head doesn't count, just the T box drawn out in chalk and MUCH smaller than a 3x5" card), so people are going to obviously shoot for the pelvis in order to bump them up to expert. Speaking of, if you see anyone without expert these days, they REALLY suck because it's pretty much a free gimme with table 2 scores factored in......

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    Their reasoning was that the pelvis was a fairly large target full of all sorts of "goodies". You have the pelvis, the hip and sockets, internal/external illiac arteries that run into and form the femoral arteries, the genitalia...Personally, I feel that the groin is a great way to incapacitate a threat.
    There's a huge difference between shooting someone in the pelvic region with a rifle and doing the same with a handgun.
    The rifle will tear shit up, the handgun will poke little holes.
    When discussing handgun shots to the pelvic area "incapacitate" is the wrong word to use, "immobilize" would be a more accurate term.

User Tag List