Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I.C.E. Combat Focus Shooting Question

I.C.E. Combat Focus Shooting Question

Hope this is the right forum; I don't see a general purpose forum for training questions.

Rob Pincus is going to be teaching his Combat Focus Shooting two day class near me soon. The last time he was here, to my knowledge, was 2010. I view this as a really great opportunity to get world class training without having to fly somewhere (its about half an hour from my house).

The problem is that its a $500 course, and 800 rounds minimum. The 800 rounds I like, because it speaks to the amount they are squeezing into a two day course. But it does add to the cost. $500 plus 800 rounds is a pretty huge investment.

In the past I have taken NRA Basic Pistol, and I took a first level Defensive Pistol course last year from a local training company. I will be taking a "refresher" course next month. I generally shoot about 100 rounds every month or so to stay proficient, but that is on a static range, and is of limited value (which is why I don't do it a ton). I carry everywhere I can, and practice drawing/dry firing. Just trying to put my experience and budgets into perspective here.

I'm on the fence whether this is a good investment. Nothing to do with the quality of the training which I am sure is superb. I just have a fairly tough time paying the $150 or so for a local training course, $500 seems like a lot. For $550 I could re-take the level one, and take the level two and level three course from my local guys (who I always feel are very very good). That would get me into more advanced material and get me more training time.

Is it worth it? Especially interested in anyone who has taken CFS and can compare it to other training they have taken. I am not going to be one of the guys who goes to all the big shops around the country. This will probably be the only big-name training I do, at least for a long while.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

If you were planning on attending some big name training, I would recommend choosing an instructor/school other than Combat Focus Shooting. I'm not going to start some silly instructor drama, but there are duded and schools that are better choices for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    If you were planning on attending some big name training, I would recommend choosing an instructor/school other than Combat Focus Shooting. I'm not going to start some silly instructor drama, but there are duded and schools that are better choices for your money.
    This.

One thing I'll throw out there is to not get hung up on one particular trainer or training school. Seek training from different folks, even if they are just different local trainers. There is value in differentiated training perspective, experience, and teaching styles. I have seen firsthand folks get hung up on one particular trainer and take multiple (like 3-4+) courses from them. They only learn one trick. Once they start training with other folks they realize the first guy might not have been the omnipotent ninja they first thought he was. He might have been but there is still value in training with different folks.

If you are going to train with one and only one "big-name" instructor it is hard to beat Tom Givens, who will give you solid tools and drills to improve your shooting skills, diagnose problems with your shooting, and provide solid mindset training based on his former students' numerous real-world shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    One thing I'll throw out there is to not get hung up on one particular trainer or training school. Seek training from different folks, even if they are just different local trainers.
    Truth.

It is hard to see how one $500 weekend with a nationally known trainer is better than a bunch of $150 sessions with a competent and reputable local instructor, especially for the average or new shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    If you are going to train with one and only one "big-name" instructor it is hard to beat Tom Givens, who will give you solid tools and drills to improve your shooting skills, diagnose problems with your shooting, and provide solid mindset training based on his former students' numerous real-world shootings.
    +1. Even if you have to travel a bit to get to him it will be worth it.

I could re-take the level one, and take the level two and level three course from my local guys (who I always feel are very very good).
    Not trying to insult you, but how do you know if they are any good? What criteria do you use to determine that? We have a guy about an hour from me, but I'm having a hard time getting a handle on his training resume. That to me is pretty key.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    What criteria do you use to determine that? We have a guy about an hour from me, but I'm having a hard time getting a handle on his training resume. That to me is pretty key.
    What criteria do you use?

Jay, training resume and (hopefully) a personal recommendation. We have yet another guy north of me that meets all the above.

Bigger name trainers, AARs help.

Since I have some small experience with .mil and LE training, I'm not very insistent that someone who is getting my business have those like skills.

I most value someone who can teach as opposed to instruct.

I'm still a noob at the training game. So far, I've taken lessons from Tiger McKee, Givens and Ayoob, to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

How do you define teaching vs. instructing?

User Tag List