Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I.C.E. Combat Focus Shooting Question

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    ...What I really want to get into is a more intense training class where I can really push myself. In the level 1 defensive pistol course I took last, the first 3/4 of the day was review for me, and only at the very end, when we combined shooting while moving, reloads, verbal commands, cover, etc, did I feel like I was pushing myself. Standing still and shooting at cardboard while focusing on the front site...I'm good to go...
    It sounds to me as though you're ready for force-on-force.

Sounds like you're ready for Southnarc's TNMPSR* class.

*Ten Naked Man Prison Shower Rape

Thanks for the excellent replies everyone. I do recall reading a review of CFS where they mentioned he never covered fundamentals because he said "you just figure it out". I found that a bit strange. But I think I have the fundamentals, so that might be OK for me.

What I have decided is not to take the course, but to branch out from the instructor(s) I have taken classes from in the past. I asked this same question locally, and got similar answers; that it is excellent training but expensive for what it is. And that I could get more for my money with multiple courses from local guys. I got some good recommendations for groups that might be better, and are different, then those I've worked with before.

I have taken training in the past, so I am not clueless. I seem to always be the best shooter out of the group for what that's worth. What I really want to get into is a more intense training class where I can really push myself. In the level 1 defensive pistol course I took last, the first 3/4 of the day was review for me, and only at the very end, when we combined shooting while moving, reloads, verbal commands, cover, etc, did I feel like I was pushing myself. Standing still and shooting at cardboard while focusing on the front site...I'm good to go.

When I looked into other schools, I was told I had to start over with their level 1 course, that they didn't accept anyone else's as a prerequisite. That kind of turned me off, since I really wanted to push myself with something more advanced. Asking around though, I've been told that I will learn a lot even in the level 1 course, because it is very different than what I've taken. This would seem to lend credibility to the argument to take classes from a lot of different people.

Gonna pass on the Pincus course this time, and try to get into the level 1 course from these other guys. Thanks again for the responses.
    What state are you in?

I used to do a CCW shoot that we have weekly, it looks like competition but its set up more to be training. Two different scenarios each week with shoot/no-shoots, use of cover mandatory, tactical reloads, and other "real world" complications (like have to drag a dummy through the course to simulate a wounded bystander).

I haven't been in a while, I've had another commitment on that night. Don't do any other competition.

I live in NY state.

As for the Ten Naked Man Prison Shower Rape class, here we just call that "being a gun owner in NY state".

We are diminished
    I used to do a CCW shoot that we have weekly, it looks like competition but its set up more to be training. Two different scenarios each week with shoot/no-shoots, use of cover mandatory, tactical reloads, and other "real world" complications (like have to drag a dummy through the course to simulate a wounded bystander).
    Apologies in advance for the thread jack, but I'd argue the number of times a CCW holder has had to (a) perform a "tactical" reload or (b) drag a wounded bystander to safety during an ongoing exchange of gunfire may in fact be zero.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Apologies in advance for the thread jack, but I'd argue the number of times a CCW holder has had to (a) perform a "tactical" reload or (b) drag a wounded bystander to safety during an ongoing exchange of gunfire may in fact be zero.
    But practicing getting your gun out from the surrender position and dumping 3-5 rounds from #2 into a target 3-6 feet away isn't cool.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

User Tag List