Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta Force Rifle Duel

I would not get either of those.

I don't see a need for a piston design in full-length AR.

The VTAC is set up the way Kyle Lamb wants it to. That doesn't mean that would benefit you necessarily, nor does that mean all Delta guys want it that way if Delta approval is important to you.
    There have been some issues reported with current VTAC/Troy rail option btw, and Troy is releasing a new version.

My recommendation for a first AR is this, when it is in stock. http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...since=&status=. You can get just an upper if you want a different lower setup. Add MOE furniture and you can mount light and VFG if you want to. If you decided you need a free float rail in the future, it can be added later.

I concur with the cleaning deal.

I was one of those spotless because the Army said so guys, I eventually learned the truth.

It takes me about five minutes to clean my ARs now, and they run just fine.

I would go with the VTAC and put a set of Troy folding sights on it; Or as some have already mentioned, you might want to look into what BCM has to offer.

+8 (or whatever the count is on cleaning advice)
    I too suffered from the military notion that your DI rifle needs to be “white glove inspection ready” for it to be reliable. A good buddy of mine (former Army Ranger), despite his anal retentive OCD like habit of cleaning his AR, hates cleaning his AR. So much so that he practically weeeed himself when piston driven AR’s became available. He found out the hard way that “piston driven” doesn’t necessarily equate to reliability. For the past year and several thousand rounds, to show him DI guns are reliable when dirty, I haven’t cleaned my BCM 16” or my 18” Noveske. Just keep them well lubed.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    VTAC.
    +1 .. out of the two choices I would recommend the VTAC as well.

I had a S&W VTAC for 1 year and it ran extremely well. I ran 5k rounds through it, and I had no issues with it. I was very happy with the price (I also went through the Military deal S&W had at the time). I really did not care that it didn't come with any iron sights as I put a Meopta K Dot on it as soon as I purchased the rifle. I now run a LaRue stealth, but my VTAC was a very good stepping stone for me. It is also nice and light. I often miss my VTAC.

I threw my VTAC at the test shed at work and it shot 1.25 x 1.44 MOA. Using 77gr Moly Coat Special Match 5.56. The best ammo my battalion had available, and what they use to test MOA on 5.56 Rifles. I was satisfied with the accuracy for what I paid for the gun.

On another note: I was cleaning the handguards and I accidentally lost some screws doing so. It was completely my fault. I called VTAC and they mailed me a ton of new screws for replacement and some in case I did that again ... customer service was quite nice there as well. They did not charge me a dime, even after telling them it was my fault.

Legendary Luger Lords,

Wow. I really appreciate all the feedback. I confess it will take some time to deprogram the dogma of the white glove inspection.

For the record - I also "wee-ed" myself at the prospect of piston-ology. But dirty and wet... well, we all know the merits of that.

So the DI's motion passes. But I will definitely check out the other recommendations (even if they aren't recommended by former Hardy Boys). Next resolution-

Does anyone know if there is a type of manufactured ammunition that replicates green tip performance in order to use the Christmas Tree (Ballistic Drop Compensator?) on ACOGs? We ran a range where we had guys tagging iron maidens at 700+ meters with them on regular M4s. Pretty sweet.

Thanks again.

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Legendary Luger Lords,

Wow. I really appreciate all the feedback. I confess it will take some time to deprogram the dogma of the white glove inspection.

For the record - I also "wee-ed" myself at the prospect of piston-ology. But dirty and wet... well, we all know the merits of that.

So the DI's motion passes. But I will definitely check out the other recommendations (even if they aren't recommended by former Hardy Boys). Next resolution-

Does anyone know if there is a type of manufactured ammunition that replicates green tip performance in order to use the Christmas Tree (Ballistic Drop Compensator?) on ACOGs? We ran a range where we had guys tagging iron maidens at 700+ meters with them on regular M4s. Pretty sweet.

Thanks again.

Drew
    http://www.sgammo.com/product/federa...d-not-duty-use

Teutonic Teamwork,

You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thank you (or vielen dank - if you will.)

Drew

Anytime. Thank you for your service to our Country.

User Tag List