Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DocGKR :40 S&W caliber Favorites

DocGKR :40 S&W caliber Favorites

DocGKR: I read your list of recommended 40 caliber ammo's. Can you recommend one or two brand & weight 40 caliber ammo's that appear to be working
    a bit better with Law enforcement that are listed in your list. PS I practice,practice & then practice and know the importance of properly placed shots.
    Thank-you for your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    DocGKR: I read your list of recommended 40 caliber ammo's. Can you recommend one or two brand & weight 40 caliber ammo's that appear to be working
    a bit better with Law enforcement that are listed in your list. PS I practice,practice & then practice and know the importance of properly placed shots.
    Thank-you for your experience.
    I'm not Doc, but what is wrong with what is on the list? I'd think if something better than what was on the list were available, it would be on the list. Is there a thread I'm missing that brings this issue up?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR
    .40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Speer Gold Dot 165 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (RA40B/Q4355/S40SWPDB1)

There is very little difference in the wounding effect of the various service calibers, even less within the same caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    I'm not Doc, but what is wrong with what is on the list? I'd think if something better than what was on the list were available, it would be on the list. Is there a thread I'm missing that brings this issue up?
    Every round on Doc's list is good. Thought maybe there was one on the list that had a little more street history used by police.

Every round on Doc's list is good. Thought maybe there was one on the list that had a little more street history used by police.
    If you had the pick of the litter; I think you'd probably pick the 180 grain Federal HST.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    If you had the pick of the litter; I think you'd probably pick the 180 grain Federal HST.
    And it recoils less, at least to my hands.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Ah, I think I misread your original post. Reading is fundamental.

The 180gr Gold Dot has been doing a lot of good work for a huge number of departments for quite awhile now.

I have friends an hour east of here who have been very happy with the performance of that load.

In the last year I attended two ammo demos, and a third was hosted on our range for our instructors. I wasn't able to attend that one, but I did see video footage from it.

If shooting through car bodies or auto glass is part of your decision making factor, go with the Hornady Critical Duty. Federal HST is a solid second. If such isn't a worry for you, all of the top shelf ammo is going to be good to go. I switched the agency duty ammo. I didn't throw away my personal Gold Dot or Ranger SXT. I did mandate that our old duty ammo be used to out down wounded critters, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    In the last year I attended two ammo demos, and a third was hosted on our range for our instructors. I wasn't able to attend that one, but I did see video footage from it.

If shooting through car bodies or auto glass is part of your decision making factor, go with the Hornady Critical Duty. Federal HST is a solid second. If such isn't a worry for you, all of the top shelf ammo is going to be good to go. I switched the agency duty ammo. I didn't throw away my personal Gold Dot or Ranger SXT. I did mandate that our old duty ammo be used to out down wounded critters, etc.
    Doc stated that the Hornady Critical Duty was some of the worst .40 he tested IIRC, now I need to go look for the quote...

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

.40 Hornady 175 gr Critical Duty at 985 fps:
    BG: Pen = 16.9, RD = 0.51, RL = 0.56, RW = 175.1
    4LD: Pen = 19.4, RD = 0.45, RL = 0.60, RW = 174.6

(dime)

.40 Fed 180 gr HST (P40HST1) at 986 fps:
    BG: Pen = 13.8, RD = 0.70, RL = 0.33, RW = 181.5
    4LD: Pen = 15.8, RD = 0.65, RL = 0.48, RW = 183.5

.40 Fed 165 gr HST (P40HST3) at 1129 fps:
    BG: Pen = 13.5, RD = 0.69, RL = 0.39, RW = 165.6
    4LD: Pen = 18.0, RD = 0.60, RL = 0.47, RW = 167.8

.40 Fed 155 gr HST (P40HST2) at 1150 fps:
    BG: Pen = 12.5, RD = 0.67, RL = 0.34, RW = 155.4
    4LD: Pen = 15.5, RD = 0.61, RL = 0.41, RW = 156.6

.40 BH 140 gr Barnes Tac-XP at 1267 fps:
    BG: Pen = 13.5, RD = 0.63, RL = 0.48, RW = 139.5
    4LD: Pen = 14.5, RD = 0.61, RL = 0.47, RW = 142.2

In general, the Hornady Critical Duty ammunition did NOT perform as well as several current JHP loads. The best performing Critical Duty load was the .45 Auto 220 gr +P and the worst performing was the .40 S&W 175 gr. In areas where conventional JHP designs are prohibited, the Hornady Critical Duty joins the Federal EFMJ as an option that is better than the Corbon Powerball or FMJ loads.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

User Tag List