Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo...huh?

It is extremely time consuming to start reloading from scratch. First you talk to some buddies about reloading, then you take a class to learn how to do it safely, then you read some books on the subject. Then you buy your first press. Then you search forever to find components. Then you start reading books on loading data to work up a load. Then you test the load. Then you repeat this process multiple times. Then you ensure that the load works in multiple firearms of the same caliber that you own. You put a few thousand rounds downrange, tweak your load, fire a few thousand more. Now you have a solid load, but you have trouble finding components. Also, you realize that you want a different press, so you purchase that. Then you work through your quality control issues with your new setup, quality control of things like reloading environment, maybe there's too much humidity, etc, so you buy a dehumidifier. You get tired of cleaning brass so offer that you buy a larger cleaner/tumbler.

At that point, after a year of work, thousands of dollars and tens of thousands of rounds of trial and error, you are now safely making your own quality ammo that truly rivals (if it isn't better) factory ammo.

At that point, you can produce cheaper ammo. While the "savings" are supposedly huge, reloaders never seem to factor everything like the cost of presses, dies, media, etc into the final cost of their ammo...they only factor the cost of the components. Then, at that stage, there is the fact that you are dumping time into it. It's not just time cranking out rounds. It's time picking up brass, reading data, buying components, punching out primers, cleaning brass, etc. By this point, it makes almost no sense from a financial aspect, unless your time is worth less than minimum wage.

So, reloading absolutely makes sense if you plan on producing a product that is superior to factory ammo. It makes sense if you are afraid that you will no longer be able to get components some day in the future. It makes sense if you fear ammo laws regarding how many rounds you can purchase at a time. It makes sense if you do it for years and years, where there is no new time reading data, and the presses have long ago paid for themselves, but it absolutely does not make sense to start reloading because of economic down-turn, temporary ammo shortages or temporary ammo prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    1. My time is worth more than the difference in cost.
    Agreed, until the recent panic, and using my current hourly rate. However I would have needed to buy reloading materials and gear at pre-panic crisis prices, and if I'd had THAT kind of magic crystal ball I would have just bought more new ammo.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I'm just getting into reloading, and so far I'm doing just .44 Magnum. But even with today's inflated prices, I'm loading .44 Magnum plinking rounds for $150/1000. Obviously loading up premium projos with heavy powder charges is getting more expensive, but I can play with my Vaquero all day for less than my AK, my Berettas, and certainly my ARs.

Next caliber on the list is 9.3x62mm Mauser. The cheapest factory ammo is about $1.25/rd, and I can reload it for $0.45/rd, using roughly the same components (Prvi Partizan cases, Big Game powder and Prvi 285gr JSPs with WLRM primers). I've got components, I just need dies, and it's off to the races.

I've been reloading for over four decades now. It's an enjoyable hobby for yours truly. I don't count my time as its not taking away from my work.

I also like the fact I can dial up the load I need for a given application.

Just spent the last few days setting up an XL650... almost as much fun as shootin'.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

1. Picking up brass sucks.
    2. My time is worth more than the difference in cost.
    3. Picking up brass really sucks.
    So true. I have also developed a distaste for the brass-ratters at action pistol matches who dive on my brass as it hits the ground, so I've vowed to never become an animal like "those people."

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    So true. I have also developed a distaste for the brass-ratters at action pistol matches who dive on my brass as it hits the ground, so I've vowed to never become an animal like "those people."
    It gets pricey to leave a bunch of Super Comp on the ground. Or 9x23.

1. Picking up brass sucks.
    2. My time is worth more than the difference in cost.
    3. Picking up brass really sucks.
    Yes.

One hour at work is worth a lot more than $ saved in reloading.

-DBLAction454

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    It gets pricey to leave a bunch of Super Comp on the ground. Or 9x23.
    I'm talking about people who grab my brass while I'm getting scored or something. People who rat other people's brass without permission should be shot in front of their families. Maybe I want to donate my brass to the range.

Diving on other people's brass in a match is one thing, but for the masses who can't charge ammo purchases as a business expense, picking up your brass wherever possible is kinda...you know...prudent.

People who rat other people's brass without permission should be shot in front of their families.
    Fair enough and agreed.

User Tag List