Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Ammo...huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    A friend of mine enjoys reloading enough that his shooting has become mostly incidental to making the ammo. An OCD type, he spends his time researching, tweaking, shooting, and refining. It isn't always for accuracy, but for the smallest differentials in POI between loads, guns, barrels configurations, suppressed and unsuppressed, etc. It seems like much tail chasing at times, but it's not without interesting data points.
    This is me. So very much me. I really need to scrape together a couple grand and start my own business.
    I am not fat, I am wearing organic body armor.
    "Foreign policy is best left to the people with a head for negotiation and satisfying others without really giving anything away: customer service representatives."
    - Sheepdog247

Because i'm part of the NOW generation. I could get all the reloading stuff but then i would have to figure crap out and such. Or i can just order 1000 rounds for about the same price and i don't have think about it anymore.

Guess I planned ahead, either by accident or design. Either way, it takes me less time to reload any of the calibers I shoot than it does to track ammo down either in person or on the internetz. I call it a win/win situation.

I have a crapload of brass, a crapload of bullets and a metric crapload of primers. Guess what... you will never hear me griping about "Wal-fart" being out of ammo. My dad taught me to reload on an old Lee hand reloader and it was kind of a Dad-son kind of thing... then I met Mrs. Progressive Press. I shot more rifle than anyone in three counties. Learned a lot from it. Just wish I'd have started with the pistol sooner.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidbattlecry View Post
    Because i'm part of the NOW generation. I could get all the reloading stuff but then i would have to figure crap out and such. Or i can just order 1000 rounds for about the same price and i don't have think about it anymore.
    I'm incredibly cheap. I'm also fairly lazy. The former often wins, though it's an epic battle at times. I may have to spend a few hours in the shed cranking out ammo, but at least it means I'll actually shoot my .44 and 9.3x62.

Plus, in all honesty, I find the precision of measuring, metering, and making every round just so to be rather soothing. I should probably get into long-range rifle shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    It takes me 10-15 minutes to load enough ammo for a range session, 250'ish rounds. I wake up a few minutes early and crank it out before my Friday AM range session. It's not really that time intensive ...

If my schedule is so tight that I can't spare the time to reload, I probably shouldn't be hitting the range for a few hours.
    Which assumes that the only time involved is the pulling of the handle.

Sourcing components, picking up brass, dealing with equipment issues, changing recipes when your old components get scarce...

What baffles me more than why more people don't reload is why so many reloaders seem obsessed with how the rest of us source our ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Sourcing components, picking up brass, dealing with equipment issues, changing recipes when your old components get scarce...
    Sweeping up brass from my range floor takes a minute or two after an 60-90 minute range session. If you shoot in grassy areas, it's clearly more work.

I don't buy ammo in small quantities, I continue that over to components. But sourcing loaded ammo isn't exactly easy either, so some of that cancels out.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    why so many reloaders seem obsessed with how the rest of us source our ammo.
    I couldn't care less what everyone else does for their ammo needs. But people shouldn't make it sound like reloading is such a time consuming activity, it doesn't need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Sweeping up brass from my range floor takes a minute or two after an 60-90 minute range session. If you shoot in grassy areas, it's clearly more work.
    Which is why I lay out a tarp before shooting outside. I'm saving brass now because the latest ammo scare....scared me.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Which is why I lay out a tarp before shooting outside. I'm saving brass now because the latest ammo scare....scared me.
    Each piece of brass is a dime left on the ground....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Each piece of brass is a dime left on the ground....
    If that's the going rate, I may cash out a sizable portion of my stash.

I get it on reloading. I'm slowly building up components and trying to learn. I think reloading will work for me. Tam, rob; rock on with you're doing. I will NOT knock at your door with pamphlets
    #RESIST

User Tag List