Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why one cop carries 145 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Admittedly, I'll be surprised if the guy goes the rest of his career carrying six spare mags (two of them 33rd). But compared to the guy who normally just carries two spares, how much extra weight is this guy really lugging around? A hundred rounds of ammo and four magazines probably doesn't hit four pounds.
    IIRC a loaded 9mm mag for the 17 is approx 10 ounces. But it is not the extra weight, IMO, it is the cumulative weight. An extra 40 ounces isn't much, but when you are already carrying 20 pounds of gear it adds up by the end of the shift.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But why presume the officer in the OP or anyone else for that matter is getting out of balance just from adding some mags? He could be hitting the Krav Maga daily too for all we know.
    By off balance I was referring to his focus on the job itself, adressing one segment to the possible detriment of another segment. But added weight is added weight. It may impact one officer more or less than another officer depending on physical conditioning, size, etc. but it does add weight, it does take up room. Is it a good investment on the officer's part with his limited resources. We are already seeing a lot of officers that no longer carry a nightstick, for example, because they need the room for another mag, or a cell phone holder, or a (fill in the blamk). Given the usefullness of a stick is giving up the stick for a spare mag, for example, a good trade?
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

A little bit of weight can make a lot of difference over a long shift; however, how it is distributed also is a key factor. My previous agency issued the S&W 4006 for the first seven years I was there. We used the Safariland 070 holster. We then switched to Glocks and stayed with the 070. The weight savings was significant. However, when I went to the SO and could choose my own gear, I found that other holster attachment styles certainly made a difference. The attachment for the 070 pretty much hangs the pistol off of the belt as dead weight whereas the attachment loop of the ALS/SLS holsters do a much better job of distributing the weight.

I'm curious to know exactly how he is carrying all his gear.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I don't understand the thinking. I've always had trouble understanding the reasoning that says "I was able to do the job with what I had and could have continued doing the job with what I had because I still had some left, so that means I must not have had enough and now need to have more" particularlylwhen we find almost everyone else is able to do the job with less. It's cool to carry lots of stuff around, but at what cost? Most of the LE job is not getting into extended gunfights, it is moving, running, climbing and so on. Balance is the key, and when one gets off-balance and focuses on one aspect of the job instead of the job as a whole I really question the reasoning. YMMV.
    I mentioned this in the original thread, and it was chalked up to being an irresponsible cop putting himself in unnecessary dangerous positions.

I also agree with you about the cumalitive weight aspect. Using the viewpoint of "its only 4lbs extra" can quickly lead to an avalanche of extra gear.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    By off balance I was referring to his focus on the job itself, adressing one segment to the possible detriment of another segment. But added weight is added weight. It may impact one officer more or less than another officer depending on physical conditioning, size, etc. but it does add weight, it does take up room. Is it a good investment on the officer's part with his limited resources. We are already seeing a lot of officers that no longer carry a nightstick, for example, because they need the room for another mag, or a cell phone holder, or a (fill in the blamk). Given the usefullness of a stick is giving up the stick for a spare mag, for example, a good trade?
    OK I'm tracking.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Talking to Alexis Artwohl, and reading this book at her recommendation; http://www.amazon.com/Descartes-Erro.../dp/014303622X made a huge difference in how I view some of this stuff.

The copper in the OP had what anyone could describe as a strong emotional experience. His adding extra ammo to his load out makes sense to me, adding the 33 round mags does not. I only go so far in pushing against behavior that I see as unfounded in logic as I have come to realize that Descarte was in fact in error.

How many people do you know that fear snakes, or spiders? Are those logical feelings? Nope, but I tend to leave it be.

Taking a more laid back approach to my then girflfriend now wife when she hit me with "handguns are evil and only made to kill people" led to her eventually owning her own guns and having a CCW permit.

Homie wants to carry that much ammo? OK, no skin off my butt.

I think back to when I was considered a gun crazed radical for carrying three speedloaders on my belt and a snubby for a BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Talking to Alexis Artwohl, and reading this book at her recommendation; http://www.amazon.com/Descartes-Erro.../dp/014303622X made a huge difference in how I view some of this stuff.

The copper in the OP had what anyone could describe as a strong emotional experience. His adding extra ammo to his load out makes sense to me, adding the 33 round mags does not. I only go so far in pushing against behavior that I see as unfounded in logic as I have come to realize that Descarte was in fact in error.

How many people do you know that fear snakes, or spiders? Are those logical feelings? Nope, but I tend to leave it be.

Taking a more laid back approach to my then girflfriend now wife when she hit me with "handguns are evil and only made to kill people" led to her eventually owning her own guns and having a CCW permit.

Homie wants to carry that much ammo? OK, no skin off my butt.

I think back to when I was considered a gun crazed radical for carrying three speedloaders on my belt and a snubby for a BUG.
    I don't think anyone here is upset, offended, losing sleep or otherwise perturbed over this dudes decision to carry an ammo loadout near that of a soldier. I thought we were just discussing the efficacy or logic of such.

I mean, he might have to shoot an escaped rhino one day. Would it then be logical to carry a .416 Rigby simply because of one exceptionally extreme situation?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I mean, he might have to shoot an escaped rhino one day. Would it then be logical to carry a .416 Rigby simply because of one exceptionally extreme situation?
    Not sure about a rhino, but I carry some slugs for situations like this:
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose

We've got some guys just outside my jurisdiction that have some of these same exotic animals. Be prepared.

I've read the report on the linked incident. .233 just didn't cut it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

We have a plan for a zoo escape because we have elephants, apes, lions, tigers and bears.

I know where the .458 is kept, but I don't carry it with me.

I think I was agreeing that the load out in this case is excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    We have a plan for a zoo escape because we have elephants, apes, lions, tigers and bears.

I know where the .458 is kept, but I don't carry it with me.

I think I was agreeing that the load out in this case is excessive.
    On my last day at my prior agency, we had a monkey bite of a persons thumb. This wasn't long after the person was mauled by a similar critter, and not too long before that incident in OH where all of the big critters were turned loose.

Thankfully we have a citizen who can help us out with some crew served items if needed.

User Tag List