Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why one cop carries 145 rounds

Why one cop carries 145 rounds

Interesting article on capacity.
    http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issu...mo-on-the-job/
    17 hits from 33 rounds aint bad shooting when you start behind the curve.
    It's against internet wisdom to go "down" from .45 to 9mm after a spectacular failure to stop.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

That's because "internet wisdom" most often ain't.

If this had been a failure of a 9mm or .40 to stop the bad guy then lots of people would be making noise that it was another case of "you need .45!!!!!". I note that when the .45 fails, and it does way more than people think, the .45 advocates are often quiet or filing it under "shit happens".

The fact is that all service pistol calibers suck at stopping really motivated people unless you brain them. But we already knew that.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 07-06-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Then I told myself, ‘Hey, I need to slow down and aim better.’ ”
    My take away from the article. You can carry all the rounds in the world, but shot placement still wins gunfights.

One should carry both an AR and an 870 physically on their person at all times for just such instances... thus sayeth the interweb.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Great read! Going up on my FB page. A lot to think about and absorb. First, it clearly states the need for as much ammo as you can carry, second it just adds more fuel to the 9mm vs 40 vs 45 debate. Lastly, it shows that when the chips are down, it is the ability to think clearly and apply the fundamentals of marksmanship that saves the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    One should carry both an AR and an 870 physically on their person at all times for just such instances... thus sayeth the interweb.
    do you not already do this?

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Probably worth pointing out that he did solve the problem with the ammo he was carrying on him at the time and had 14 rounds left over, so not sure why another 100 rounds that he didn't need would have made that much difference.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by wilco423 View Post
    My take away from the article. You can carry all the rounds in the world, but shot placement still wins gunfights.
    This. We just had a OIS at work the other day with an armed robber/kidnapper where this was key. After a foot chase, one of our guys started shooting at the bad guy on the move from @50 ft (bad guy was actively shooting at two other officers at the time). He realized he was missing and later told me that he consciously thought "I need to slow down, watch the front sight and squeeze". So he put the front sight between bad guys shoulder blades, tried to slow his breathing and squeezed. He put a 124 gr +P Gold Dot into suspects back and the bad guy went down like a sack of potatoes. The elusive one shot stop.

Found out later the bullet hit the suspect's scapula and got diverted into his L1 vertebra. From what our guys said he locked up like he was tased and went straight down. Didn't get his hands up or anything to stop his fall. Just bounced his head off the pavement.

The bad guy survived and was outta the hospital in 2 days. The bullet is still in him, which is unfortunate cuz I wanted to see what the bullet looked like.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Probably worth pointing out that he did solve the problem with the ammo he was carrying on him at the time and had 14 rounds left over, so not sure why another 100 rounds that he didn't need would have made that much difference.
    That wouldn't result in this much discussion.

User Tag List