Page 79 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    The pistol feels so good in my hands, it is hammer fired, what's not to love?

How it shoots…….

J/k most here at PF really like the guns. A bunch of people have spent some good time with them and really come to enjoy the p30 series pistols. They are excellent pistols, reliable, accurate, durable. The only nitpick is that they are not as shootable as other current pistols no matter how much money you spend on trigger upgrades. For a defensive carry gun I don’t think you can go wrong with a p30.

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    The pistol feels so good in my hands, it is hammer fired, what's not to love?
    • DA sucks even with trigger work
    • Not optic ready, so you have to spend a lot of extra money to get an optic on it
    • Holster selection is limited, especially on the retention side
    • Manual safety sits too high for many 1911 shooters
    • Slide release is on the long side
    • OEM threaded barrel is 13.5×1 LH

I am currently pot committed to the P30LS, since I have literally like 3k USD worth of mags and over a decade worth of experience on it (and no other centerfired handgun), but to be perfectly honest, if I was starting from scratch today, I would probably go with the Glock Gen5.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    • Not optic ready, so you have to spend a lot of extra money to get an optic on it
    • Holster selection is limited, especially on the retention side
    • Manual safety sits too high for many 1911 shooters
    • Slide release is on the long side
    • OEM threaded barrel is 13.5×1 LH

I am currently pot committed to the P30LS, since I have literally like 3k USD worth of mags and over a decade worth of experience on it (and no other centerfired handgun), but to be perfectly honest, if I was starting from scratch today, I would probably go with the Glock Gen5.
    Have you already replaced your slide stop with the short version? If not, its the ticket. I have a spare left after selling a P30, if you want to give it a try.

Maybe I'm the weirdo but swapping the firing pin block spring to the factory light spring, and swapping the hammer spring for the USP Match hammer spring (so we're staying with HK factory springs all around), and the DA is a lot more serviceable. I don't feel that the DA pull needs any more than that...but that's just me.

If you can't find an HK USP Match hammer spring, an 11lb spring from Lazy Wolf is a good substitute; the factory USP match spring weight is between 10 and 11lb, so erring on the side of caution and going 11 is 'safer'. The P30 uses the same spring part number as the USP so the springs are cross compatible.

It won't help with the grit in the trigger...but it makes the trigger a lot more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Have you already replaced your slide stop with the short version? If not, its the ticket. I have a spare left after selling a P30, if you want to give it a try.
    I have the P30LS, so it's already shorter than the normal P30/P30L one. I haven't tried the ultra short ones before (part 227705), but honestly, it's not a big deal, I really only notice it only when shooting with gloves, it was me grasping at any possible perceived shortcomings. I do appreciate the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Maybe I'm the weirdo but swapping the firing pin block spring to the factory light spring, and swapping the hammer spring for the USP Match hammer spring (so we're staying with HK factory springs all around), and the DA is a lot more serviceable. I don't feel that the DA pull needs any more than that...but that's just me.

If you can't find an HK USP Match hammer spring, an 11lb spring from Lazy Wolf is a good substitute; the factory USP match spring weight is between 10 and 11lb, so erring on the side of caution and going 11 is 'safer'. The P30 uses the same spring part number as the USP so the springs are cross compatible.

It won't help with the grit in the trigger...but it makes the trigger a lot more manageable.
    I have the GGI RRCPP on two of my P30LSes, and the DA is simply meh even with that work, far inferior to something like a good DA on a SIG P-series or Beretta 9x. That being said, again, grasping at straws, it's perfectly manageable, just not great.

Site Supporter
    Can you add a safety to an LEM P30?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Can you add a safety to an LEM P30?
    Not really. Easier way would be to convert a P30S DA/SA to LEM, though that would void the warranty.

Edit…nvm got beat to it.

Great question, I was about to ask the same question.

QUOTE=Mitch;1400556]Edit…nvm got beat to it.[/QUOTE]

Site Supporter
    Not really. Easier way would be to convert a P30S DA/SA to LEM, though that would void the warranty.

I guess the only way to get an LEM with a manual safety is to go USP or HK45/HK45c.

There was a small run of long slide LEMs with thumb safeties.

User Tag List