Page 62 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Since the P2000 is discontinued, is it not wise to go all in on this model?
    Is the P2000 discontinued? If so, I'm going to grab another while I can.

This is a great thread.

I'm working on transitioning out of striker fired guns and moving to DA/SA or LEM platforms. Mainly I just want to try something new and I like the idea of the added safety of the DA trigger. I'm mainly looking at HK pistols with LEM triggers right now. I was mostly looking at the P2000 since it is roughly the same size as a G19 but I find the P30 intriguing with the adaptability of the grip and the great reputation of the extraction system. I'm going to fire off several questions, hopefully this is the correct place to post them. I also did not read every post in this thread so if the answers lie within, let me know.

In regards to the P2000, does it boast the same flawless extraction performance as the P30?

The P30 is a little larger than a G19, generally speaking, how does the P30 conceal as compared to a P2000? How about P30sk and P2000sk? I'm 6'0", 175lb and have an athletic build.

I'm really thinking that, for my needs, an SK is the way to go. Is wither the P30sk or P2000sk superior to the other in any way?

Thanks for bearing with me.
    I don't know if the P2000 is discontinued, but it's most definitely the red-headed stepchild of the HK family as far as aftermarket goes. I do think the P30 will remain supported for longer than the P30 when that day comes, however. Reliability was equal between my P2000 and my P30 variants, though I am now P30-only.

One big shootability difference I noted was a Glock-knuckle-like effect due to the P2000's mag release. That doesn't happen with the P30 for me due to the different style of release.

The P30 is very workable in a t-shirt for me with a good holster, and I am shorter than you. In my hipster plaid, that takes even less effort to make it work. However, the P2000 took even less effort. The P2000 was easier to conceal in large part due to the lack of texture on the sides and slightly shorter grip. The P30SK has a different grip texture than the full size (much less aggressive).

The P30SK can be compared to the P2000 when using a factory 13-round extended mag (roughly the dimensions of a G19 at that point, but with a 3.2" bbl). The 3.2" bbl is shorter than I'd prefer -- I think that's hovering right around the edge, velocity-wise, for reliable expansion with my preferred 147gr rounds. Between the P2000SK and the P30SK, I'd do a P30SK all day long -- better sights are available, easier to find (relatively speaking) holsters, no Glock-knuckle, more adaptable grip, and overall very shootable.

The P2000 shines with flat baseplates. For some reason they're nowhere to be found anymore. With the finger rest baseplates, the grip height is not substantially different from the P30.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Is the P2000 discontinued? If so, I'm going to grab another while I can.
    I thought i heard that around here...but maybe I imagined it.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Hammertime

The P30 is a little larger than a G19, generally speaking, how does the P30 conceal as compared to a P2000? How about P30sk and P2000sk? I'm 6'0", 175lb and have an athletic build.
    P30~= to G19X. If you can conceal a G17 you would have no problem with the P30.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    P30~= to G19X. If you can conceal a G17 you would have no problem with the P30.
    I have not had luck concealing a G17.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I have not had luck concealing a G17.
    I found the P30 to be easier to conceal than the G17 in comparable (wing-type) holsters. Obviously body-specific, but the more rounded profile of the P30 matters.

Pretty sure the P2000 is in current production.

Although the P2000 has been discussed thoroughly on PF, I'll add that it's an outstanding pistol. I have 46XX rounds through an LEM version with zero stoppages. It carries well under an "smedium" T-shirt with a JMCK wingclaw holster. (I'm 5'10" 180lbs, athletic). The only drawback is a fairly small selection of aftermarket sights, although Trijicon HDs and Bright & Tuff are available, and Meps. There's some FO front sights available too, if that's your preference. I'd try a P30 if the opportunity arose, but in the meantime I'm extremely happy with my P2000.

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p2000/

It's still showing up on the HK website. I see that rumor pop up every so often, and while it wouldn't shock me if HK orphans the P2000 at end of the CBP contract, I'd prefer that they don't--it's a great little pistol, and I think there's room for the USPc, P2000, and P30 in the lineup.

Of course, my dream HK gun would be a 9mm version of the HK45c (without the 45c's rail limitations) that takes P2000/USPc mags. But since I suck, and they hate me, I doubt they'll ask...

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I moved some things around and took advantage of HK's reduced pricing on the P30s to score a backup P30 for training and dry fire. It's been said here before, but to re-iterate, I think there's a legitimate safety benefit that comes from the ability to leave your carry gun alone -- fewer loading/unloading manipulations = fewer opportunities for carelessness to interject itself.

I now have:
    - P30 v4.1 LEM
    - P30 v1 LEM
    - P30SK v1 LEM with v4.1 LEM TRS

Of the three configurations, I strongly prefer the v4.1 LEM followed by the v1+v4.1 TRS combo.

My problem with the v1 LEM is the lack of resistance in the pre-travel phase of the press. Oddly enough, that lack of resistance encourages seems to encourage me to steer the gun off target during that half inch or so of pre-travel. The addition of a v4.1 TRS mostly solves that issue without giving me the detriments of a v2 break weight -- overall it feels like a TGS LEM with less weight in both break and pretravel. The v4.1 configuration, however, gives me even more take-up weight and a slightly heavier break. The wall is a bit more defined. I think the true benefit though, at least for me, is less of an opportunity to screw up the trigger press during the pre-travel phase. It's still a long stroke -- my one SFA pistol feels like a SAO by comparison -- and I believe it retains the safety values which drew me back to LEM for carry. Another benefit is more consistent finger placement due to the shorter reach. I find it much easier to be consistent, and also much easier to avoid frame contact with my trigger finger.

So, I think I'll be converting all of my guns to the 4.1 LEM. The question for me is whether I should do it myself...
    One for range... One for carry... One, just because. [emoji1303]

Site Supporter
    This is a great thread.

I'm working on transitioning out of striker fired guns and moving to DA/SA or LEM platforms. Mainly I just want to try something new and I like the idea of the added safety of the DA trigger. I'm mainly looking at HK pistols with LEM triggers right now. I was mostly looking at the P2000 since it is roughly the same size as a G19 but I find the P30 intriguing with the adaptability of the grip and the great reputation of the extraction system. I'm going to fire off several questions, hopefully this is the correct place to post them. I also did not read every post in this thread so if the answers lie within, let me know.

In regards to the P2000, does it boast the same flawless extraction performance as the P30?

I'm really thinking that, for my needs, an SK is the way to go. Is wither the P30sk or P2000sk superior to the other in any way?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Having owned both a P2000sk and a P30sk, I give an edge to the P30sk because of the paddle mag release, and those lovely extended 13 round magazines. The shape of the 13 round extended mags is more of a “Bobtail” and really aids in concealing the pistol.

The P2000sk I owned was a .40, and it handled the cartridge very well, with mild recoil for a .40.

You really can’t go wrong with either gun, but the accessories and sights give an edge to the P30sk. Between Trijicon, Wilson, and Dawson, the P30 series has some great sight options nowadays.

User Tag List